cath1602

Default Loft insulation problem

We have recently insulated our under eaves storage area. We put
blanket insulation in the gaps between the roof beams, up against the
roof tiles, and it is held in place with plastic sheeting.

Having (belatedly) done a bit of research, it appears that this was
not the correct thing to do, and we should have used a more rigid type
of insulation and left an air gap between the insulation and the roof
tiles. And we should have used netting instead of plastic to hold it
in place.

The area now seems very humid. Is there anything we can do to repair
what we have done, or do we need to rip the whole lot out and start
again?

Catherine
Julian Ashcroft

The area now seems very humid. Is there anything we can do to repair
what we have done, or do we need to rip the whole lot out and start
again?

Start again. If you leave it like it is you will get damp problems. There
should be a gap between the insulation and the tiles or felt. The insulation
should be able to 'breath hence the reason for using netting (or string) to
keep the insulation in place rather than plastic sheeting.

Julian Ashcroft

David

"cath1602" wrote in message
om...
We have recently insulated our under eaves storage area. We put
blanket insulation in the gaps between the roof beams, up against the
roof tiles, and it is held in place with plastic sheeting.

Having (belatedly) done a bit of research, it appears that this was
not the correct thing to do, and we should have used a more rigid type
of insulation and left an air gap between the insulation and the roof
tiles. And we should have used netting instead of plastic to hold it
in place.

The area now seems very humid. Is there anything we can do to repair
what we have done, or do we need to rip the whole lot out and start
again?

Catherine

Rip it out and start again

While you are at it check that the ventilation in your eaves and at the
ridge are adequate.

It could be worse, by the sound of it the polythene is acting as a vapour
barrier, things could be far worse if it wasn't there, in which case the
warm humid air would penetrate the insulation and then condense on the
indside of the roof, with the problem being hidden by the insulation. This
could well still be a problem and I'd advise you to get the current
insulation down ASAP.

With good ventialation and a 50mm gap between the insulation and cold roof
this sort of problem should be avoided.

cheers

David

Richard Sterry

Julian Ashcroft wrote:
The area now seems very humid. Is there anything we can do to repair
what we have done, or do we need to rip the whole lot out and start
again?

Start again. If you leave it like it is you will get damp problems. There
should be a gap between the insulation and the tiles or felt. The
insulation should be able to 'breath hence the reason for using netting
(or string) to keep the insulation in place rather than plastic sheeting.

I can understand why you should use netting not plastic, but why the air
gap? The timbers are exposed on the inside, well the edges of them anyway,
so they should be able to breath - why should the felting and tiles need to
breath?

The problem with leaving an air gap is that if the timbers are fairly small,
the inclusion of an air gap doesn't leave much depth for the insulation.

I realise that this is a requirement, and there must be a reason for it,
but...?

Rick