Stephen Fasham

Default ball valve in place of gate valve?

Can I use 1/4 turn ball valves in place of gate valves for my CH/HW
system. My previous experiences with gate valves suggest that seepage
past (when in the closed position) is a problem. I would like to be
able to turn-off the feeds to each bathroom for hot and cold water.
Ball valves look quicker to use, but I don't know if there is any
reason I should avoid them for this purpose.

Fash
Grunff

Stephen Fasham wrote:
Can I use 1/4 turn ball valves in place of gate valves for my CH/HW
system. My previous experiences with gate valves suggest that seepage
past (when in the closed position) is a problem. I would like to be
able to turn-off the feeds to each bathroom for hot and cold water.
Ball valves look quicker to use, but I don't know if there is any
reason I should avoid them for this purpose.

I've used full bore ball valves all over the place in our CH. I think
they're great. It's really handy to be able to isolate bits of the
system, without any loss of flow.

--
Grunff
John Woodhall

Can I use 1/4 turn ball valves in place of gate valves for my CH/HW
system. My previous experiences with gate valves suggest that seepage
past (when in the closed position) is a problem. I would like to be
able to turn-off the feeds to each bathroom for hot and cold water.
Ball valves look quicker to use, but I don't know if there is any
reason I should avoid them for this purpose.

Fash

They are ideal for this. Last time I did some work on my heating and
HW systems, all the gate valves were consigned to the skip and
replaced with lever ball valves.

Also, they are a good solution as isolating valves for taps where you
need full bore flow.

Can they also be used as a mains stop cock?

Christian McArdle

Can they also be used as a mains stop cock?

Yes. Use 1/4 turn full bore lever valves for everything, except for
isolating low flow appliances such as washing machines and basin taps, which
can use cheap reduced bore isolating valves.

Christian.

Fash

One more question, do motorized valves produce a full shut off, such that if
I use a motorized zone valve on the flow and a ball valve on the return I
can isolate a section of the CH circuit?

Fash

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Can they also be used as a mains stop cock?

Yes. Use 1/4 turn full bore lever valves for everything, except for
isolating low flow appliances such as washing machines and basin taps,

which
can use cheap reduced bore isolating valves.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 5 May 2004 16:53:08 +0100, "Fash"
wrote:

One more question, do motorized valves produce a full shut off, such that if
I use a motorized zone valve on the flow and a ball valve on the return I
can isolate a section of the CH circuit?

Fash

They do a reasonably good shut off but not enough to act as an
isolation if you want to do plumbing work.

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.net...
Can they also be used as a mains stop cock?

Yes. Use 1/4 turn full bore lever valves for everything, except for
isolating low flow appliances such as washing machines and basin taps,

which
can use cheap reduced bore isolating valves.

Christian.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

One more question, do motorized valves produce a full shut off, such that
if
I use a motorized zone valve on the flow and a ball valve on the return I
can isolate a section of the CH circuit?

I wouldn't rely on it. However, the brand I used appeared to be as good as a
gate valve in shutoff, when I blew down one end. I would definitely fit
specific isolating valves if I needed such isolation, though.

Christian.

IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Can they also be used as a mains stop cock?

Yes. Use 1/4 turn full bore lever valves for everything, except for
isolating low flow appliances such as washing machines and basin taps,

which
can use cheap reduced bore isolating valves.

For a stop cock make sure it is a good quality stainless steel valve.

IMM

wrote:

One more question, do motorized valves produce a full shut off, such that

if
I use a motorized zone valve on the flow and a ball valve on the return I
can isolate a section of the CH circuit?

Fash

They do a reasonably good shut off but not enough to act as an
isolation if you want to do plumbing work.

Water companies are now fitting them as standard, or a charge as a retrofit.
The quality has to be good, hence the stainless valves.

http://www.mkw-plumbing.co.uk/levervalve.htm

Bob Eager

On Wed, 5 May 2004 16:48:38 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

http://www.mkw-plumbing.co.uk/levervalve.htm

Yes, we told you that when you wouldn't believe us.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
IMM

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 May 2004 16:48:38 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

http://www.mkw-plumbing.co.uk/levervalve.htm

Yes, we told you that when you wouldn't believe us.

I did believe it.

Dave Heatlie

"IMM" wrote in message

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Can they also be used as a mains stop cock?

Yes. Use 1/4 turn full bore lever valves for everything, except for
isolating low flow appliances such as washing machines and basin taps,

which
can use cheap reduced bore isolating valves.

For a stop cock make sure it is a good quality stainless steel valve.

I don't know about full bore valves but I've come across seized iso valves
due to a build up of scale and would recomend giving them a turn every now
and then to keep them free.

Dave

nightjar

"Stephen Fasham" wrote in message
om...
Can I use 1/4 turn ball valves in place of gate valves for my CH/HW
system. My previous experiences with gate valves suggest that seepage
past (when in the closed position) is a problem. I would like to be
able to turn-off the feeds to each bathroom for hot and cold water.
Ball valves look quicker to use, but I don't know if there is any
reason I should avoid them for this purpose.

The main reason for not using a ball valve in a circuit is that shutting a
flow off quickly can produce water hammer. Isolator valves are normally only
used when there is little or no flow, so it is not a problem for that
application. Depending on the circuit layout, it may or may not be a problem
when used to cut off circuits that could be carrying a flow. The answer is
probably to try a ball valve and, if it produces water hammer, replace it
with something that closes slowly, like a gate valve.

Colin Bignell

Lurch

On Thu, 6 May 2004 00:15:32 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "nightjar"
strung together this:

The answer is
probably to try a ball valve and, if it produces water hammer, replace it
with something that closes slowly, like a gate valve.

Or, close the valve slowly.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

nightjar

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 May 2004 00:15:32 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "nightjar"
strung together this:

The answer is
probably to try a ball valve and, if it produces water hammer, replace it
with something that closes slowly, like a gate valve.

Or, close the valve slowly.

That is not an acceptable solution, even if it is possible to close a
quarter-turn valve slowly enough. It is a basic principle that one day
either you will forget or someone else will operate the valve, which could
blow a pipe fitting off somewhere.

Colin Bignell

Christian McArdle

I use a motorized zone valve on the flow and a ball valve on the
return I can isolate a section of the CH circuit?

They do a reasonably good shut off but not enough to act as an
isolation if you want to do plumbing work.

Water companies are now fitting them as standard, or a charge as a

retrofit.
The quality has to be good, hence the stainless valves.

What, the water companies are fitting motorised CH valves as stopcocks?

Christian.

Lurch

On Thu, 6 May 2004 08:13:17 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "nightjar"
strung together this:

That is not an acceptable solution, even if it is possible to close a
quarter-turn valve slowly enough. It is a basic principle that one day
either you will forget or someone else will operate the valve, which could
blow a pipe fitting off somewhere.

Fairynuff, just a thought. I manage it but not everyone has to.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Fash

Can't really see water hammer being a problem in a CH circuit, as I would be
unlikely to want to turn off a zone if there was a demand on it at the time,
so when you operate them in this application there should be no flow, and
anyway the pressure on a CH flow is not very high is it?

Fash

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 May 2004 08:13:17 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "nightjar"
strung together this:

That is not an acceptable solution, even if it is possible to close a
quarter-turn valve slowly enough. It is a basic principle that one day
either you will forget or someone else will operate the valve, which

could
blow a pipe fitting off somewhere.

Fairynuff, just a thought. I manage it but not everyone has to.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

nightjar

"Fash" wrote in message
Can't really see water hammer being a problem in a CH circuit,

That is why I suggested a suck it and see approach after making the point
originally. However, in other applications, it can happen and then I would
want to have a solution that relied upon the equipment design, rather than
on operating procedures. Procedures as the only way of avoiding problems is
always the last and least desirable option for any safety system.

Colin Bignell