Broadback

Default Tap flexible hoses

Are basin taps the same size as the connectors to toilet cisterns? What
I would like to do is connect the toilet cistern with a flexible
connector, can it be done?
TIA
Broadback

Huge wrote:

Broadback writes:

Are basin taps the same size as the connectors to toilet cisterns? What
I would like to do is connect the toilet cistern with a flexible
connector, can it be done?

Yes and yes. Respectively.

A HUGE thanks to you for the prompt and succinct reply.
Lurch

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:14:41 +0000, Broadback
strung together this:

Are basin taps the same size as the connectors to toilet cisterns? What
I would like to do is connect the toilet cistern with a flexible
connector, can it be done?

Depends what size they are.

1/2" basin tap connector is the same size as a 1/2" toilet cistern
connector.
If one or the other is a different size then they are not.
I've just had a few Armitage cisterns that had some funny size
European thread, not 1/2".
--

SJW
Senior Member

Yes there are now some new sanitary thingermejiggs from abroad which use a fine 3/8th thread which you stand no chance of finding. They do usually come
with an adapter to 1/2" which should have been fitted by the installer. So far I have not been able to find any tap connectors with this foreign fine thread. I dread to think how I'm going to cope with emergency call outs when these foreign thingies go wrong 'cause the mechanics behind them defies logic, and to my knowledge no parts are available. s'pose we'll just have to sell you a whole new one when that day arrives. Or maybe they'll work perfectly forever? Yer right!

Any how you'll most likely find it takes a 1/2" tap connector.

Watch those flexies. The ones with rubber washers are OK but the crappy bit of cardboard some use for a fibre washer wants rooting out with a fine screwdriver and a proper replacement putting in, trust me, if you don't want to be decorating the room below in a fortnight.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Lurch writes:
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:14:41 +0000, Broadback
strung together this:

Are basin taps the same size as the connectors to toilet cisterns? What
I would like to do is connect the toilet cistern with a flexible
connector, can it be done?

Depends what size they are.

1/2" basin tap connector is the same size as a 1/2" toilet cistern
connector.
If one or the other is a different size then they are not.
I've just had a few Armitage cisterns that had some funny size
European thread, not 1/2".

B&Q were selling some where the hole in the cistern was too small
to take a standard 1/2" one, and they don't sell ball-valves which
do fit the hole. I friend took one back when he discovered this,
having tried using a different type of valve from the one supplied.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:35:35 +0000, Paul Barker wrote:

[...]

I can't be bothered to look but 3/8" to 1/2" will be available at a proper
merchant or from the BES catalogue.

The small diaphragms and washer to service the 'foreign' WCs are available
also.

If I was completely stuck for a replacement then I would try to brooch out
the inlet hole in the cistern ceramic with a 22mm grit edged hole saw.
The fit a fluid master or torbeck valve.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I worked in maintenance. European sizes are always 1/2" basin & toilet cistern & 3/4" bath. Both BSP. This is normal. Experienced once an unusual diameter & that was on a Chinese cistern.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-136922-.htm