lbbss

Default New toilet leaks between the Tank and the Bowl?

I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I
tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

Andy R

"lbbss" wrote in message
I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I
tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed

all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

Pack loads of plumbers mait around the foam seal then refit it.

Rgds

Andy R

Rick Dipper

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:02:01 -0400, "lbbss" wrote:

I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I
tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

I hate fittinf bogs for this reason, I have never had one seal first
time. Plumber Mate is required in huge quantities.

A forth of fith time seal is good going for me, maybe a professional
plumber will take the mystery out of it for us.

Rick

BillV

"lbbss" wrote in message
I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I
tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed

all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

Does the toilet leak only when you flush it or all the time?

BillV

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:02:01 -0400, "lbbss" wrote:

I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly.

tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed

all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

I hate fitting bogs for this reason, I have never had one seal first
time. Plumber Mate is required in huge quantities.

A forth of fith time seal is good going for me, maybe a professional
plumber will take the mystery out of it for us.

I assume these are close coupled pans? If so I never have a problem and I'm
only an amateur..
Mind you I'm unsure what is meant by the "foam seal". In the several I've
fitted the seal between the cistern and pan was by a rubber doughnut.. The 2
bolts holding the cistern to pan are sealed inside with rubber washers which
always work for me if I check they are in good condition before fitting..

Rob Graham

"Andy R" wrote in message ...
"lbbss" wrote in message
I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I
tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed

all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

Pack loads of plumbers mait around the foam seal then refit it.

Rgds

Andy R

Don't be tempted to tighten the nuts too far - a mate of mine had a
similar problem, overtightened the nuts and cracked the cistern; the
problem turned out to be a fault in the bowl moulding, but he couldn't
get his money back.

Rob
gandalf

"lbbss" wrote in message
I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I
tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

--------------
Chuck a couple of those tablet things that make the water go blue (or green) in
the cistern, you'll spot the leak real quick. Then turn off the supply to the
cistern and let it dry, say overnight, (you can always flush using a bucket in
the meantime) then when you take it all apart the source of the leak is painted
out for you. In our case it was a cracked washer on one of the fixing bolts.

Cautionary note: That blue or green stuff plays havoc with your grouting so
protect it first.

The Natural Philosopher

lbbss wrote:

I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl
(Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper
orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I
tightened them until the tank barely touches the bowl ribs. I followed all
the instructions, so I don't know why I still got a leak? I assume the
leak is at the seal and not at the bolts. I can see that the rubber
washers are well seal and compressed inside the tank. Any ideas?

Rule 1.

All toiltes leak.

Rule 2.

All gaskets supplied are of inadequate dimensions, and sub standard material

Rule 3.

If God had meant toilets to leak, he wouldn't have given us silcone sealant.

Take it apart, smear everything with THICK layer of silcone, screw back
FINGER TIGHT ONLY, take the dog for a walk, come back and tighten down,
and crap in peace.