Mike Hall

Default Anyone got a Wickes shower pump?

I've inherited a power shower consisting of a Triton LP4000
thermostatic mixer and a Wickes twin impeller pump. Unfortunately I
seem to have a little seepage from around the mixer cartridge, (which,
incidentally is a new cartridge I have installed in the original
housing). On contacting Triton, they suggest that the LP4000 is not
designed to be used with pumped systems above 1 bar, but I don't know
how much 'umph' our pump is in fact putting out.

If any one has a Wickes pump like this, and has any further
information then I would be most grateful.
The ID plate reads:
"Wickes Twin Impeller, Product No. 414-805. 2A, 300W Max". Also,
opening up the electrical cover of the pump reveals a couple of
terminals that look as though they might be for wiring it up to
operate at a lower speed .... again any information greatly received.

TIA
Mike
Capitol

FWIW, the data I have on a Wickes 410-169 260W twin automatic shower
pump gives 9L/min @ 1.3Bar. It is always possible to restrict the flow by
adding a restrictor washer into the output side of the pump, this will
reduce the pressure at the shower under flow conditions. The max pressure
for this unit was 1.5Bar at 0L/m dropping to 1Bar @ 20L/m. Hope this helps
Regards
Capitol

Mike Hall

"Capitol" wrote in message ...
FWIW, the data I have on a Wickes 410-169 260W twin automatic shower
pump gives 9L/min @ 1.3Bar. It is always possible to restrict the flow by
adding a restrictor washer into the output side of the pump, this will
reduce the pressure at the shower under flow conditions. The max pressure
for this unit was 1.5Bar at 0L/m dropping to 1Bar @ 20L/m. Hope this helps
Regards
Capitol

Thanks for the info. Not being a plumbing type, is the restrictor
washer something I could pick up from the sheds? Do they come in
different bar ratings?
Capitol

No, basically, take a 1/2" tap washer or something similar (Can be a
stainless steel washer) , with a small hole ( 3-6mm) in it and stick it into
the pump output flow somewhere. This is probably not a good description, but
hopefully gives a clue as to how a restrictor will work. It's very much a
"suck it and see" operation as the characteristics of the pump are unknown.
I've had to use this technique to limit the flow to one of our normal
showers after uprating the pump to 3bar and spraying the ceiling!!

Regards
Capitol

Mike Hall

Pete C wrote in message . ..

Might be possible to install a pressure relief valve to bleed off
excess pressure back to the piping before the pump.

cheers,
Pete

Thanks for that. Anyway, back to the original question .... surely
someone in the wide world that is uk.d-i-y must have a "Wickes Twin
Impeller, Product No. 414-805. 2A, 300W Max". ... pleaase???
nick smith

Thanks for that. Anyway, back to the original question .... surely
someone in the wide world that is uk.d-i-y must have a "Wickes Twin
Impeller, Product No. 414-805. 2A, 300W Max". ... pleaase???

Yes I have - and no there's nothing that can be done to slow it down by fiddling with the
internal wires - only thing I could suggest you try is a cheap variable transformer -
can't remember what they are called - variometer or variac or something - and reduce the
supplied volts a bit, to say 160 to 200 v a.c. , trial and error.
Depending on how the motor is wound something as simple as a diode in series would give a
series of chopped sine wave pulses, but I think that might damage the pump.
You could always just put a tap in the out put lines or an isolating valve in each leg and
slowly wind them towards shut until the pressure has reduced to stop the leaking..
Nick

Shower Pump Martin UK diy 2 January 26th 04 10:23 PM
Shower pump for can type shower head. steve UK diy 3 January 16th 04 11:38 AM
Shower pump, whole bathroom? Simon Avery UK diy 13 November 25th 03 10:09 AM
shower pump in loft problem advice required Gary Holt UK diy 3 October 2nd 03 01:57 PM