Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Trade account, SMS, and their advertising

I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me
of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

James
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me
of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

James

Give them a dodgy mobile number, or the number of someone you don't like,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 November 2015 14:16:58 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

If they don't verify the number by requiring you to text back, try 07700 900000 to 900999 and see how long it takes them to notice.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/tel...bers-for-drama

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Private SMS text mailbox (was: B&Q Trade account, SMS, and theiradvertising)

On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me
of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

For the above: I looked around for a web service that would allow me to
receive and send SMS text messages online. That should work as long as I
could get a dedicated, i.e. private, mobile phone number.

Most sites I found were for bulk SMS sending services. Yuck.

Some sites have free shared numbers where everyone can read what's sent
to the number. Not quite what I need.

Others seem to have private numbers that can be rented on a monthly
basis. That would do for me. The best-looking one I found was

http://www.secretme.net

but I cannot find out anything useful about the site so I don't know how
legitimate it is.

Anyone know about that site or know of another online service that would
allow private SMS communication?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 14:20, David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me
of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

Give them a dodgy mobile number, or the number of someone you don't like,

According to the sales assistant they require verification.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 14:22, wrote:
On Sunday, 1 November 2015 14:16:58 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

If they don't verify the number by requiring you to text back, try 07700 900000 to 900999 and see how long it takes them to notice.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/tel...bers-for-drama

An interesting list but according to the sales assistant they do require
verification.

Advertising seems to be a big part of the B&Q Trade arrangement. If you
want to opt out of postal adverts you apparently cannot just say No or
tick a box online but need to write to them by post to "request" it.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:

David Lang wrote:

Give them a dodgy mobile number, or the number of someone you don't like,

According to the sales assistant they require verification.

Buy a 'burner' PAYG SIM with minimal credit and stick it an old phone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Harris" wrote in message
[...]

Walk into any Asda and pick up a free SIM card, put it into your phone and
it will have 25p credit, this is enough for a few calls and texts.

Give this number to B&Q, wait until they verify it, they'll probably ring it
or text you when you open the account.

Throw the sim card in the bin.

Profit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A pay as you go cheap phone and let it expire?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"James Harris" wrote in message
On 01/11/2015 14:20, David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me
of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

Give them a dodgy mobile number, or the number of someone you don't like,

According to the sales assistant they require verification.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 15:57, David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

Lots of reasons. Unlike Wickes, for example, B&Q trade prices are lower
for some items than their prices to the general public.

I also cannot get Ikea or Selco to deliver large items to a certain UK
address as they don't have branches nearby.

You have a point?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me
of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

What if you simply don't have a mobile number? Not everyone has a
mobile.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me
of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them
my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile
number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

What annoys me is systems that insist on a *mobile* number for sending
SMS texts to. Our Gigaset phones on our landline receive texts
perfectly OK but I can't, for example, persuade the bank that a
landline number is OK for their verification texts. Apart from
anything else mobile reception at our house is decidedly flakey,
landline is much more reliable.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 16:27, James Harris wrote:
On 01/11/2015 15:57, David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

Lots of reasons. Unlike Wickes, for example, B&Q trade prices are lower
for some items than their prices to the general public.

I also cannot get Ikea or Selco to deliver large items to a certain UK
address as they don't have branches nearby.

You have a point?

James

No, just wondered. B&Q in general aren't cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 18:51, David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 16:27, James Harris wrote:
On 01/11/2015 15:57, David Lang wrote:

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

Lots of reasons. Unlike Wickes, for example, B&Q trade prices are lower
for some items than their prices to the general public.

I also cannot get Ikea or Selco to deliver large items to a certain UK
address as they don't have branches nearby.

You have a point?

No, just wondered. B&Q in general aren't cheap.

I am currently in London and in one case I need to get things like a
bath, a sink, tiles & some 8x4 ply to an address in Aberdeen where I
have someone doing some work for me. I would welcome knowing of a
better-value supplier for this (or simpler requirements!).

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 November 2015 22:05:45 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I am currently in London and in one case I need to get things like a
bath, a sink, tiles & some 8x4 ply to an address in Aberdeen where I
have someone doing some work for me. I would welcome knowing of a
better-value supplier for this (or simpler requirements!).

There are several sellers on ebay where the actual order is fulfilled by Jewsons, Plumbase etc, often at competitive prices becase the ebay seller buys large volumes but has minimal overheads. Certainly cheaper than paying £25 for a Wickes Big and Bulky delivery.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the
requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform
me of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give
them my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a
mobile number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't
acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

James

Give them a dodgy mobile number, or the number of someone you don't
like,

Ah, that'll be yours then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

I seem to remember you used to frequent them quite often - what made you
stop?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 16:27, James Harris wrote:
On 01/11/2015 15:57, David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

Lots of reasons. Unlike Wickes, for example, B&Q trade prices are
lower for some items than their prices to the general public.

I also cannot get Ikea or Selco to deliver large items to a certain
UK address as they don't have branches nearby.

You have a point?

James

No, just wondered. B&Q in general aren't cheap.

The only time you've ever said something sensible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 22:20, Unbeliever wrote:
David Lang wrote:
On 01/11/2015 14:16, James Harris wrote:
I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

I seem to remember you used to frequent them quite often - what made you
stop?

They started in 1969 - a few years after you retired as a failed foreman.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2015 14:35, Phil L wrote:
[...]

I have a Tesco sim which I keep in a "backup" phone, I think it might
have cost £1. Came in handy the other day when wife gave hers a short
ride in the washing machine. Couldn't switch it off, both the touch
screen and the power button were disabled but after stripping and drying
out everything worked again *apart* from the phone microphone. Oh well,
still useable for emergencies as a text phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2015 20:53, newshound wrote:

I have a Tesco sim which I keep in a "backup" phone, I think it might
have cost £1. Came in handy the other day when wife gave hers a short
ride in the washing machine. Couldn't switch it off, both the touch
screen and the power button were disabled but after stripping and drying
out everything worked again *apart* from the phone microphone. Oh well,
still useable for emergencies as a text phone.

Was that SIM from the days when they were not time limited? AFAICS
anything loaded onto a SIM now 'expires' after a month.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:
On 03/11/2015 20:53, newshound wrote:

I have a Tesco sim which I keep in a "backup" phone, I think it might
have cost £1. Came in handy the other day when wife gave hers a short
ride in the washing machine. Couldn't switch it off, both the touch
screen and the power button were disabled but after stripping and drying
out everything worked again *apart* from the phone microphone. Oh well,
still useable for emergencies as a text phone.

Was that SIM from the days when they were not time limited? AFAICS
anything loaded onto a SIM now 'expires' after a month.

Fortunately that's not true for my Three PAYG SIM. The SIM is free, and
top-up credit lasts indefinitely. In theory I need to use it every six
months to keep it alive but that need cost only 2p (one text). In
practice I use it a fair amount and a £10 top-up lasts me about three
months. AFAIK those SIMs are still available.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England