Extending a joist

Old December 13th 04, 09:18 AM
Dave

Default Extending a joist

Here's another one for the assembled experts ...
I've got one joist that's been cut short and then attached to a trimmer
in order to get round a soil stack - but I want to remove the trimmer as
part of some building work. I plan to screw & glue the extension timber
to the side of the existing joist, are there any rules on how much
overlap, etc?
The joists are about 195x48, it's the joist nearest the wall, it'll be
about 40mm too short when the trimmer is removed.
--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Old December 13th 04, 10:44 AM
Set Square

Dave wrote:

Here's another one for the assembled experts ...
I've got one joist that's been cut short and then attached to a
trimmer in order to get round a soil stack - but I want to remove the
trimmer as part of some building work. I plan to screw & glue the
extension timber to the side of the existing joist, are there any
rules on how much overlap, etc?
The joists are about 195x48, it's the joist nearest the wall, it'll be
about 40mm too short when the trimmer is removed.

Is it worth it for 40mm? Can't you leave the trimmer in place?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old December 13th 04, 11:18 AM
Dave

Set Square wrote:
Dave wrote:

Here's another one for the assembled experts ...
I've got one joist that's been cut short and then attached to a
trimmer in order to get round a soil stack - but I want to remove the
trimmer as part of some building work. I plan to screw & glue the
extension timber to the side of the existing joist, are there any
rules on how much overlap, etc?
The joists are about 195x48, it's the joist nearest the wall, it'll be
about 40mm too short when the trimmer is removed.

Is it worth it for 40mm? Can't you leave the trimmer in place?

Unfortunately not. I want to drop the loo soil pipe (and the shower
waste) down between the joists - the trimmer will have to go!

Old December 13th 04, 12:32 PM
Dave

Dave wrote:
Here's another one for the assembled experts ...
I've got one joist that's been cut short and then attached to a trimmer
in order to get round a soil stack - but I want to remove the trimmer as
part of some building work. I plan to screw & glue the extension timber
to the side of the existing joist, are there any rules on how much
overlap, etc?
The joists are about 195x48, it's the joist nearest the wall, it'll be
about 40mm too short when the trimmer is removed.

.... that should be 400mm!
Old December 13th 04, 03:05 PM
in2minds

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Here's another one for the assembled experts ...
I've got one joist that's been cut short and then attached to a
trimmer in order to get round a soil stack - but I want to remove the
trimmer as part of some building work. I plan to screw & glue the
extension timber to the side of the existing joist, are there any
rules on how much overlap, etc?
The joists are about 195x48, it's the joist nearest the wall, it'll
be about 40mm too short when the trimmer is removed.

... that should be 400mm!

overlap should be minimum 26", use 2 suitably long coach bolts with
washers (I use the square type) and put star washers (not sure of the
technical term but the builders merchant knew what I was on about)
between the 2 joists, one bolt 4" in from either end

this order...
bolt, washer, joist, star washer, joist, washer, nut

LJ

Old December 13th 04, 03:44 PM
Dave

in2minds wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Dave wrote:

[...]

Thanks, where did you find the info? I couldn't find anything in the
BRegs or www.

Old December 13th 04, 06:42 PM
Simon Stroud

"in2minds" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

I think those "star washers" are called timber connectors, like this:

http://www.strongtie.co.uk/catalogue...p?fam=4&cat=56

(that was the first site I could find with a picture).

When our loft conversion was done they were supposed to fit those in the
several places where multiple joints were bolted next to each other. They
didn't bother and by the time I noticed and complained it was too late to
take everyting out (or maybe they just lied and said they'd fitted them - I
can't exactly/would rather not remember). And they didn't do the nuts up
more than finger-tight either. And being coach bolts with only a certian
amount of thread they had to fit big piles of washers under the head and nut
so that they didn't run out of thread when "tightening" them - think they
only had one length of coach bolts and couldn't be bothered to get
correct-length ones.

Anyway it hasn't all fallen down yet. Hopefully if you do the job better
than that then yours will be fine.

Regards,
Simon.

Old December 13th 04, 08:06 PM
rrh

[...]

I did some a few months ago and planned to use the
star-washers-or-whatever-they're-called. But they kept the joists apart
however much I tightened the coach bolts. I thought the joints were more
solid without them so didn't use them in the end.

Old December 13th 04, 08:36 PM
Nick Atty

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:05:26 -0000, "in2minds" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Here's another one for the assembled experts ...
I've got one joist that's been cut short and then attached to a
trimmer in order to get round a soil stack - but I want to remove the
trimmer as part of some building work. I plan to screw & glue the
extension timber to the side of the existing joist, are there any
rules on how much overlap, etc?
The joists are about 195x48, it's the joist nearest the wall, it'll
be about 40mm too short when the trimmer is removed.

... that should be 400mm!

overlap should be minimum 26", use 2 suitably long coach bolts with
washers (I use the square type) and put star washers (not sure of the
technical term but the builders merchant knew what I was on about)
between the 2 joists, one bolt 4" in from either end

this order...
bolt, washer, joist, star washer, joist, washer, nut

That's exactly how our builders have just done it when they had to
re-organise joists to create the hole for a new staircase (and to fill
the hole where the staircase used to be, for that matter).

I think they used hefty (M10 I'd guess) studding rather than coach
bolts.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Old December 13th 04, 08:46 PM
Mike

"rrh" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

I assumed the gap was why you did use the star washers so that the joists
can expand and contract symmetrically.

Floor joist sistering question Neil Home Repair 13 February 1st 04 08:59 PM
floor joist RB Home Repair 1 January 23rd 04 06:42 PM
more surprises - rotten joist and no lintel! Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 August 15th 03 08:36 PM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM