How easy to increase gas pressure to house?

Old December 11th 04, 01:30 PM
Earl Kella

Default How easy to increase gas pressure to house?

(re-post; last message sent with last years date)

My boiler which I installed myself (Baxi Potterton Cmbi 130HE) is showing
signs of low gas pressure after working fine for 1 year. Occasional
ignition failure (ie once a month) and fairly frequent very loud flame
ignition (farting type noise).

I'm going to service it thoroughly to see if a good clean will help, but I
would like to know how big a job it is to increase the gas pressure to it if
this turns out to be the case.

As it has been working fine for 1 year, is it likely that the gas pressure
from the supply mains has dropped since installation? I have heard that gas
pressure can be increased fairly simply by removing metal weights somewhere
near the gas meter - is this the case?

I will of course get a corgi bloke to come in and do it but is it likely to
be an expensive job? I'm just off out to get a gas pressure measuring thing
I've seen in B&Q.....

Thanks & regards

Earl

Old December 11th 04, 02:19 PM
Jim Alexander

"Earl Kella" wrote in message
[...]

why not use the one you used when you installed the boiler...

Jim A

Old December 11th 04, 03:10 PM
Coherers

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message
why not use the one you used when you installed the boiler...

Jim A

:-)

Old December 11th 04, 03:31 PM
John Rumm

Earl Kella wrote:

be an expensive job? I'm just off out to get a gas pressure measuring thing
I've seen in B&Q.....

It would seem like a smart move to work out if there is a problem with
the pressure before you worry about how to fix it.

Chances are the boiler just needs a service.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old December 11th 04, 05:23 PM
John

"Earl Kella" wrote in message
[...]

The gas pressure to your house is controlled by the meter governor which is
the property of the gas supplier and is not to be interfered with by you or
by anyone other than the gas supplier/transporter. If your gas pressure is
steadily getting lower it is indicative of perhaps a blockage building up in
the governor filter (if there is one) or a problem in the supply main. You
may also have a problem in the sizing of your house interior pipework.
Whatever the actual problem you can connect your manometer to the meter test
point and measure the governed pressure under load. This should be about
21millibar.
If the pressure is significantly lower then your course of action is to
contact the supplier who's telephone droid will recite the usual litany
about turning off the supply and opening all doors and windows etc before
sending a man in a van along to sort it out.
Don't start messing about with any of the gas system unless you have read Ed
Sirrets gas FAQ "AND" you are competent to do so. (Your comment about "I've
heard that--------" makes me wonder if you really are)

Old December 11th 04, 07:48 PM
nick smith

[...]

Well, the "CORGI" man that came to certify my install (and found all just fine)
twiddled the gas meter regulator to give the correct 21 mBar - it was a bit low
apparently.
Didn't involve BG though !

Nick

Old December 11th 04, 11:23 PM
tarquinlinbin

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:30:08 -0000, "Earl Kella"
wrote:

I will of course get a corgi bloke to come in and do it but is it likely to
be an expensive job? I'm just off out to get a gas pressure measuring thing
I've seen in B&Q.....

Thanks & regards

Earl

Adjusting and/or working on the meter is not a job for CORGI,it is the
gas transporters responsibility who will work on behalf of your gas
supplier. In the majority of cases the gas transporter is Transco. If
you suspect low pressure then tel 0800111999 and report it so that it
can be checked and remedied.
Old December 11th 04, 11:24 PM
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:48:26 +0000, nick smith wrote:

Well, the "CORGI" man that came to certify my install (and found all just fine)
twiddled the gas meter regulator to give the correct 21 mBar - it was a bit low
apparently.
Didn't involve BG though !

Um. As often as not low pressure is due to low supply pressure which no
amount of (illegal) tweaking the main govenor will fix. Although it did
here.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Old December 11th 04, 11:25 PM
tarquinlinbin

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:48:26 GMT, "nick smith"
wrote:

Well, the "CORGI" man that came to certify my install (and found all just fine)
twiddled the gas meter regulator to give the correct 21 mBar - it was a bit low
apparently.
Didn't involve BG though !

Nick

He acted incorrectly then...

[...]