Alex

Default Are Home Depot & B&Q linked?

Hello,

Whilst in the states, I've visited a few Home Depot stores, and their layout
& catalogue design seems remarkably similar to that of B&Qs.

One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough -
is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style that
they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

Alex

Andy Hall

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:09:54 +0100, "Alex"
wrote:

Hello,

Whilst in the states, I've visited a few Home Depot stores, and their layout
& catalogue design seems remarkably similar to that of B&Qs.

One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough -
is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style that
they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

Alex

No they are not, but it's no coincidence.

B&Q undoubtedly "borrowed" the complete concept, layout, merchandising
(even the tool coraal) and the colours from HD.

Perhaps they are hoping to be acquired at some point......

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed competition.
The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at least
round here) are too small. Going to Focus (i.e. because I need something
small quickly), I sometimes feel physically sick knowing just how much mark
up there is over B&Q/Screwfix.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:35:10 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed competition.
The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at least
round here) are too small. Going to Focus (i.e. because I need something
small quickly), I sometimes feel physically sick knowing just how much mark
up there is over B&Q/Screwfix.

Christian.

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman

In article 0X5ic.35$9N.12@newsfe1-win,
Alex wrote:
One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough
- is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style
that they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

They even called some of their larger stores 'The Depot' but for some
reason changed them. Don't think there's actually a tie up - just a rip
off of design. Pity their prices weren't ripped off too...

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Graeme

wrote:

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed

competition.
The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at

least
round here) are too small. Going to Focus (i.e. because I need something
small quickly), I sometimes feel physically sick knowing just how much

mark
up there is over B&Q/Screwfix.

Christian.

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

And that's my local DIY store. They never, ever have what I'm looking for.
But the pet corner keep the kids happy.

Christian McArdle

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

That's the one. I sometimes feel I should go there with a pack of bic razors
and hand them out.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

Yes, I sometimes have to go there because I can't brave the B&Q car park and
only want one item. What a nightmare design, attempting to get all those
cars through that tiny junction and forcing you to go all the way round the
big roundabout to turn right when leaving. They could solve it all by having
a second entrance at the Comet end onto the road that leads to Costco.

Christian.

Graeme

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

Yes, I sometimes have to go there because I can't brave the B&Q car park

and
only want one item. What a nightmare design, attempting to get all those
cars through that tiny junction and forcing you to go all the way round

the
big roundabout to turn right when leaving. They could solve it all by

having
a second entrance at the Comet end onto the road that leads to Costco.

Now that would be a good idea.
And it's even worse when Reading are playing at the Majeski.

OT: When you get a blister, does the wise man pop it or leave it alone?

Christian McArdle

Now that would be a good idea.
And it's even worse when Reading are playing at the Majeski.

Oddly, I find it easier when they are playing. Just turn up at 15:10 and the
queues (both traffic and tills) are much shorter.

OT: When you get a blister, does the wise man pop it or leave it alone?

I'd pop it if it is in an inconvenient location, then use antiseptic
immediately to prevent infection.

Christian.

Graeme

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Now that would be a good idea.
And it's even worse when Reading are playing at the Majeski.

Oddly, I find it easier when they are playing. Just turn up at 15:10 and

the
queues (both traffic and tills) are much shorter.

But they still use the B&Q car park, even though it is strictly not allowed!

Christian McArdle

But they still use the B&Q car park, even though it is strictly not
allowed!

There are always a good number of attendants at the B&Q car park looking for
suspicious vehicles and football shirted passengers. Even if a few slip
through with unlikely stories, there's certainly plenty of parking left.

Christian.

dave @ stejonda

In message , Graeme
writes
OT: When you get a blister, does the wise man pop it or leave it alone?

leave it alone - less likely to get infected - the protective cushion of
interstitial fluid will be reabsorbed in a few days

--
dave @ stejonda
IMM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed competition.
The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at

least
round here) are too small.

Wickes is geared to the trade and the prices much keener all around. B&Q
Warehouse is a direct competitor to Wickes. Focus and Wickes are in the
same group, yet they stock is very different and so are the prices, although
Focus do have some items that are keenly priced. I find Homebase far
cheaper than B&Q on LV lamps and the likes.

Gel

Jim Hodkinson an ex B&Q MD did leave them & go to Home Depot, but
only for a few months.

He then came back to UK and the Warehouse concept at B&Q soon appeared.

Home Depot have been stalking B&Q for some time but weak $
at moment has kept them at bay.

Alex wrote:
One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough
- is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style
that they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

They even called some of their larger stores 'The Depot' but for some
reason changed them. Don't think there's actually a tie up - just a rip
off of design. Pity their prices weren't ripped off too...

Capitol

Yes. The managements get together and discuss possible joint approaches to
products, marketing and store layouts. They have quite a lot of activities
in common and it is expected that Home Depot will buy B & Q (Kingfisher)
when the time is right. I also believe that they have similar stock control
etc software systems. At the moment, the exchange rate is wrong. You can
expect to see more jointly sourced products because the buying power
increases with the increased volume. B & Q are very cautious over
introducing US or EU products into the UK stores, but I'd expect this to
happen more and more over the next couple of years. There is still a marked
gap between what the top managers are thinking and what the buyers are
actually doing, as can be seen by comparing the websites for Castorama and B
& Q.

Regards
Capitol

John Rouse

In article , Dave Plowman
writes
They even called some of their larger stores 'The Depot' but for some
reason changed them. Don't think there's actually a tie up - just a rip
off of design. Pity their prices weren't ripped off too...

There are notices up in our B&Q saying you can't take back things you
bought in the Depot, so I assumed they were separate trading entities?

J.
--
John Rouse
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote:
B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 16:44:02 +0000
sickdog wrote:

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote:
B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

They share the same colour...

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote:
B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

You're a bit late, Andy Hall died in 2008.

It's a pity Flash Newsgroups doesn't do likewise.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote:
B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

You're a bit late, Andy Hall died in 2008.

And he is still missed.

It's a pity Flash Newsgroups doesn't do likewise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote:
B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

You're a bit late, Andy Hall died in 2008.

And he is still missed.

+1

Seeing that post made me look at the faq page, as I was wondering how
long ago it was now :

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/andyhalloffame.htm

That lead to the tribute page:

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/andy_hall/andy_hall.pdf

Which kind of makes you realise just how many really interesting posters
no longer seem to be about. Alas wodney and his many socks are not much
of a substitute!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We are all heading with increasing speed toward the end and none of knows
when it wi

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
o.uk...
wrote:

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote:
B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

You're a bit late, Andy Hall died in 2008.

And he is still missed.

+1

Seeing that post made me look at the faq page, as I was wondering how long
ago it was now :

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/andyhalloffame.htm

That lead to the tribute page:

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/andy_hall/andy_hall.pdf

Which kind of makes you realise just how many really interesting posters
no longer seem to be about. Alas wodney and his many socks are not much of
a substitute!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

replying to Andy Hall, sickdog wrote:
B&Q was arouind 9 yrs before Home Depot

You're a bit late, Andy Hall died in 2008.

It's a pity Flash Newsgroups doesn't do likewise.

s/likewise/so instead/

FTFY
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Hall, bobby job wrote:
I don't know who "Borrowed" whos ideas & schemes, or when, but just an FYI -
B&Q were established almost a decade before Home Depot. Just that I don't like
to automatically assume that everything was invented by the Americans, first.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Christian McArdle, Catherine Dillinger wrote:
Heading in that direction

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/17 18:14, Catherine Dillinger wrote:
replying to Christian McArdle, Catherine Dillinger wrote:
Heading in that direction

What?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Hall, Emily A Dinwiddie-Cole wrote:
I beg to differ, B&Q was founded in 1969, Home Depot in 1978, so Home Depot is
a knockoff of B&Q.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 01:14:03 +0000, Emily A Dinwiddie-Cole wrote:

replying to Andy Hall, Emily A Dinwiddie-Cole wrote:
I beg to differ, B&Q was founded in 1969, Home Depot in 1978, so Home
Depot is a knockoff of B&Q.

B&Q was a very small operation (in terms of number of stores) until their
expansion in 1978/79. I hardly think Home Depot would even have noticed
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cw Cw is offline

replying to Andy Hall, Cw wrote:
Except B&Q was founded 9 years before HD

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Hall, Michael Aston wrote:
B&Q were founded in 1969 and Home Depo was founded in 1978 so who copied who?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Hall, Machiavelli wrote:
It's not that hard to put together. Imagine you had substantial resources.
Live in one country. And are on vacation. You come across a business that's
flourishing in a monumental level. (I lived in NYC for 30yrs. So I can
factually tell you, @ one point H/S was the #1 stock pick for years).

You realize this retail concept has not been erected (in every aspect), in
your home country. It's almost like free money. If the markets are similar,
it's a no brainer. The world revolves around statistics. And all businesses
are created around a formula (business plan). Being in a different
environment is irrelevant, simply because, mathematically, If the premises
are the same, the conclusion will always be the same. Hence the £220 million
annual profits accredited on B & Q's Statement of cash flows.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Home Depot was created after B&Q so to the first set of comments thats a load of ****!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hahahaha I swear yanks think the whole world revolves around them, b&q has been established longer than home depot, the likelihood is, home depot is the copy

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do we care even? B and Q used to be known as Block and Quailed as those were
the surnames of the people who started it. I'm assuming they sold it and
went off to live somewhere with a nice climate with their feet up.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JONNY" wrote in message
updirect.com...
Hahahaha I swear yanks think the whole world revolves around them, b&q has
been established longer than home depot, the likelihood is, home depot is
the copy

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Do we care even? B and Q used to be known as Block and Quailed as those were
the surnames of the people who started it. I'm assuming they sold it and
went off to live somewhere with a nice climate with their feet up.
Brian

They both sold out fairly early but stayed in the UK , Quayle moved into
the video hire business and built up a large chain of shops and then sold
them to Blockbuster, he also backed an art gallery in Eastleigh which his
wife took part in running and theatre productions He died from a heart
attack while on a cruise in 2010 leaving about 4 million which would be a
lot for most people but not really in the mega rich bracket.

Block had left earlier seemingly having decided the world of big business
was not for him and went onto running an alternative medicine ,nutrition
business in Derbyshire . I also have an inkling that at one time there were
reports that he was also working as a driving instructor but ICBW on that.
His desire to live a low key life seems to have worked as no easy trail to
whether he is still around
appears to be available.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 20:45, JONNY wrote:
Hahahaha I swear yanks think the whole world revolves around them, b&q
has been established longer than home depot, the likelihood is, home
depot is the copy

was it not Dodge City before B&Q ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 11:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 28/12/2020 20:45, JONNY wrote:
Hahahaha I swear yanks think the whole world revolves around them, b&q
has been established longer than home depot, the likelihood is, home
depot is the copy

was it not Dodge City before B&Q ? ...

.. B&Q bought Scottish DIY chain Dodge City and became part of the
Kingfisher Group, then known as Pater Noster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of Home Depot - I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand - similar but a good deal better