Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are Home Depot & B&Q linked?

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 10:00:31 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Do we care even? B and Q used to be known as Block and Quailed as those
were the surnames of the people who started it.

Block and Quayle, to be precise. SWMBO worked for them in the very early
days (1979), although they had the Southampton place long before that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk wrote:
I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of Home Depot
- I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they
were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand -
similar but a good deal better

Bunnings bought Homebase in the UK for many millions of Pounds. They
stocked the stores with barbeques in December - which in in winter here.
They sold the business for, I think, 1

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 13:40, charles wrote:
In article ,
Murmansk wrote:
I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of Home Depot
- I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they
were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand -
similar but a good deal better

Bunnings bought Homebase in the UK for many millions of Pounds. They
stocked the stores with barbeques in December - which in in winter here.
They sold the business for, I think, £1

Whoever is running it now has made a pretty decent fist of it. Its my
'go to' place for all sorts of odd D-I-Y home and garden things whereas
I find B & Q a bit tacky...

--
A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
We did this ourselves.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Murmansk wrote:
I was in Florida last Christmas and went* to a few branches of Home
Depot
- I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they
were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand -
similar but a good deal better

Bunnings bought Homebase in the UK for many millions of Pounds. They
stocked the stores with barbeques in December - which in in winter here.
They sold the business for, I think, £1

Whoever is running it now has made a pretty decent fist of it. Its my
'go to' place for all sorts of odd D-I-Y home and garden things whereas
I find B & Q a bit tacky...

Homebase have closed around my way but when Bunnings were running it
they did have the BBQ on sale mid winter (Austrialian summer) and just
before it closed it must have had the world's total stock of Christmas
tat in January. Bunnings didn't really understand the UK market and
possibly what a poor reputation that Homebase had as a DIY shed based
business. About 2 minutes walk from where I used to work was a large
Homebase and during a lunch break I would take a walk to see what they
had. In nearly 100% of cases I would walk out and visit another rival
shed on the way home to purchase the same, or similar, items 30 to 50%
cheaper.

Even with their massive closing down sale discounts they were struggling
to match B&Q prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of Home Depot
- I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they
were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand -
similar but a good deal better

Bunnings bought Homebase in the UK for many millions of Pounds. They
stocked the stores with barbeques in December - which in in winter here.
They sold the business for, I think, 1

Whoever is running it now has made a pretty decent fist of it. Its my
'go to' place for all sorts of odd D-I-Y home and garden things whereas
I find B & Q a bit tacky...

Sadly my nearest branch closed - rent review, the next nearest is tacky.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of Home Depot
- I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they
were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand -
similar but a good deal better

Bunnings bought Homebase in the UK for many millions of Pounds. They
stocked the stores with barbeques in December - which in in winter here.
They sold the business for, I think, 1

Whoever is running it now has made a pretty decent fist of it. Its my
'go to' place for all sorts of odd D-I-Y home and garden things whereas
I find B & Q a bit tacky...

Sadly my nearest branch closed - rent review, the next nearest is tacky.

There were two big DIY stores handy to here at Wandsworth Bridge - both
with decent car parks too. Homebase and B&Q. Both now rubble, waiting to
be developed as even more 'luxury' apartments.

So now limited to Wickes, Toolstation and Screwfix. Or travel rather
further.

Did try an online purchase from B&Q. Won't make that mistake again.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
,
Murmansk wrote:
I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of
Home Depot - I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to
B&Q but I felt they were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand -
similar but a good deal better

Bunnings bought Homebase in the UK for many millions of Pounds.
They stocked the stores with barbeques in December - which in in
winter here. They sold the business for, I think, 1

Whoever is running it now has made a pretty decent fist of it. Its my
'go to' place for all sorts of odd D-I-Y home and garden things
whereas I find B & Q a bit tacky...

Sadly my nearest branch closed - rent review, the next nearest is tacky.

There were two big DIY stores handy to here at Wandsworth Bridge - both
with decent car parks too. Homebase and B&Q.

Remeber them from when I was "doing up" my daughter's flat in Wandsworth.
Gosh - 20 years ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
There were two big DIY stores handy to here at Wandsworth Bridge - both
with decent car parks too. Homebase and B&Q.

Remeber them from when I was "doing up" my daughter's flat in Wandsworth.
Gosh - 20 years ago.

The B&Q - when it opened - was heralded as their flagship, and called a
Home Depot. How things have changed.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well its a business model, but I doubt they are all linked unless there is a
parent company who owns them. Hard to find out and probably of little use
knowing the info anyway.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of Home Depot -
I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they were
a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand - similar
but a good deal better

Posted to uk.d-i-y

B&Q existed for years before homedepot.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/04/2021 15:45, J wrote:
B&Q existed for years before homedepot.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Can anyone beat 16 years to a reply?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 21:45, ARW wrote:
On 10/04/2021 15:45, J wrote:
B&Q existed for years before homedepot.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Can anyone beat 16 years to a reply?

Homeownershub are now dragging up posts from 17 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 April 2021 at 21:45:58 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 10/04/2021 15:45, J wrote:
B&Q existed for years before homedepot.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Can anyone beat 16 years to a reply?

Let me get back to you on that one... ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

B&Q being a decade older than Home Depot, its more like HD "borrowed". However, there was a temporary merger between Home Depot and B&Q between 1999 and 2005, which only didn't get finalized because B&Q was too big for HD to buy (B&Q being only a small part of the Kingfisher Group). During this period, and up to around 2015, DIY.com took you to either Home Depot or B&Q based on your geographical location.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ked-71766-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 23:01, PGTipz wrote:
B&Q being a decade older than Home Depot, its more like HD "borrowed".
However, there was a temporary merger between Home Depot and B&Q between
1999 and 2005, which only didn't get finalized because B&Q was too big
for HD to buy (B&Q being only a small part of the Kingfisher Group).
During this period, and up to around 2015, DIY.com took you to either
Home Depot or B&Q based on your geographical location.

Before replying to a 17 year old post again, please read this first:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub