Mark Spice

Default Compliance with building regs

My wife has been in a discussion on a web forum about access for the
disabled in new homes. One of the people on this forum is claiming that the
majority of house builders are not complying with Part M of the building
regs, that they are saving huge piles of cash and getting away with it.

Does this seem likely to you guys? I believe that new houses with an NHBC
warranty are not inspected by the BCO but by an NHBC inspector. Is this the
case and do you think this is likely to have a bearing on the issue?

Just wondering really and this seemed like the best informed group available
(*)

Cheers

Mark

(*) well it was uk.diy or uk.legal and as this doesn't involve Blunkett or
speed cameras I didn't thnk there would be many takers on UKL :-)

Dave Jones

"Mark Spice" wrote in message
[...]

I don't believe Part M covers new builds, and it wouldn't work if it did,
you couldn't expect every new house to cater for every type of disability,
and most disabled people have the houses modified to suit their individual
needs as do non disabled people.

I'm sure if a person bought a plot off a developer, he would design that
house to suit that person.

Most of the regs have a section on disabled accessibility, which covers most
general needs.

Dave Jones

The Natural Philosopher

Mark Spice wrote:

My wife has been in a discussion on a web forum about access for the
disabled in new homes. One of the people on this forum is claiming that the
majority of house builders are not complying with Part M of the building
regs, that they are saving huge piles of cash and getting away with it.

Does this seem likely to you guys? I believe that new houses with an NHBC
warranty are not inspected by the BCO but by an NHBC inspector. Is this the
case and do you think this is likely to have a bearing on the issue?

Just wondering really and this seemed like the best informed group available

Sadly my BCO won't let ME get away with it I can assure you.

Bloody effin ramps. when even my most wheelchair bound guest can leap a
good 2 " in his chair.

If all the money we spend on disabled access, were given to disabled
people to buy whatever it is that meets their special needs - and bloody
ramps it ain't, nor bloody sockets halfway up walls - then they would be
happy, we would be happy, and we could shoot Blunkett with impunity.

(*)

Cheers

Mark

(*) well it was uk.diy or uk.legal and as this doesn't involve Blunkett or
speed cameras I didn't thnk there would be many takers on UKL :-)

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Jones wrote:

"Mark Spice" wrote in message

[...]

You couldn't but Nu Laber can and does.

and most disabled people have the houses modified to suit their individual
needs as do non disabled people.

Heresy!

I'm sure if a person bought a plot off a developer, he would design that
house to suit that person.

Most of the regs have a section on disabled accessibility, which covers most
general needs.

Yweah. It goes like this.

- wheel chair users dictate the access to your house TOTALlY.
- rooms are constrcted on teh assumptio that only elderly sick and
wheelchair bound will ever use teh lectrcs
- windows must not be able to be fallen out of by the able bodied
- windows must be jumpable out of buy the able bodied.
- but we can let the wheel chair users suffocate and burn.
- all user acessible parts of electrical stuff must be in reach of
children, dwarves, cripples, and the terminally senile, as these are the
people we expect to be cutting their toenails with an angle grinder.
Trailing cables MUST star at LEAST 450mm above floor level so teh above
can trip over them and kill themselves.

Except in the kitchen, wher obviously no one but teh young and foirt
ever go.

- except light bulbs, which must remain forever beyond their reach..

Dave Jones

Andy Hall

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 02:14:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

- except light bulbs, which must remain forever beyond their reach..

- and make them look ill.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Ian Middleton

Mark Spice wrote:

[...]

When my friend moved into an new estate (2000 ?) he had the ramp removed
(mose likely not built), replaced by a step and normal door with decent
ground seals fitted. The site builders on site retro-fitted the door at his
request, as he knew people on the estate who were all having severe rain
water leakage problems under the front door. It appears Part M doors a very
supceptable to seal damage thus letting rain in.

Also had electric sockets and light switched positioned non part M (at his
request) as in his previous house suffered major problems:-

- Low down light switches are reachable by 2 year olds, with all the ensuing
problems that causes !!!
- Sockets being higher up are much more noticable by 2 years olds, with all
the problems that causes.
- Sockets being higher up are much harder to hide behind furniture (ie
boxes, small tables etc) to hide from 2 years olds.

My house (2000 build) has no ramp normal step, keeps water out fine (rain
does get underneath door but not into the house) and sockets and switches
have not attracted the attention of my children being non Part M
positioning.

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:30:02 +0000, Dave Jones wrote:

I don't believe Part M covers new builds, and it wouldn't work if it did,
you couldn't expect every new house to cater for every type of disability,
and most disabled people have the houses modified to suit their individual
needs as do non disabled people.

I have a customer who has moved into a £500k new 3 bed flat, and hates the
fact that the sockets are 'half way' up the wall. New build are required
to comply AFAIK.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Bloody effin ramps. when even my most wheelchair bound guest can leap
good 2 " in his chair.

If all the money we spend on disabled access, were given to disabled
people to buy whatever it is that meets their special needs - and

bloody
ramps it ain't, nor bloody sockets halfway up walls - then they would

be
happy, we would be happy, and we could shoot Blunkett with impunity.

How nice to read some common sense for once. Only 5% of diabled people
are wheelchair users, yet the disability stuff only addresses
wheelchair users. Duh. And as you say, ramps and chair access are the
last things the majority of disabled want or need.

I lived in a house once with a mix of traditional low sockets and high
up ones. The high ones were forever dangerous, as the cord tends to
travel out as it travels down to the floor, so it was a constant
substantial trip hazard. It was also inconvenient and a total eyesore.

Would I be right in saying at least once a house is built you can
reposition your sockets where you want?

NT

Mike

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:30:02 +0000, Dave Jones wrote:

I don't believe Part M covers new builds, and it wouldn't work if it

did,
you couldn't expect every new house to cater for every type of

disability,
and most disabled people have the houses modified to suit their

individual
needs as do non disabled people.

I have a customer who has moved into a £500k new 3 bed flat, and hates the
fact that the sockets are 'half way' up the wall. New build are required
to comply AFAIK.

Most new-builds have the wiring done so that the sockets and light switches
can be moved back to their proper places after final inspection. I would
expect at this price this flat can be as well and somebody has forgotten to
do so.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes - at least until Jan 1st. After that it depends on the room.
Could you perhaps also re-position your software settings so that you only
post once before somebody starts ranting about it.

IMM

"Mike" wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

The proper place is about 1/2 metre up the wall. New builds are not built
to move sockets around at all.

The Natural Philosopher

Bloody effin ramps. when even my most wheelchair bound guest can leap

good 2 " in his chair.

If all the money we spend on disabled access, were given to disabled
people to buy whatever it is that meets their special needs - and

bloody

ramps it ain't, nor bloody sockets halfway up walls - then they would

be

happy, we would be happy, and we could shoot Blunkett with impunity.

How nice to read some common sense for once. Only 5% of diabled people
are wheelchair users, yet the disability stuff only addresses
wheelchair users. Duh. And as you say, ramps and chair access are the
last things the majority of disabled want or need.

Lifts are good.

So are custom designed kichens.

I lived in a house once with a mix of traditional low sockets and high
up ones. The high ones were forever dangerous, as the cord tends to
travel out as it travels down to the floor, so it was a constant
substantial trip hazard. It was also inconvenient and a total eyesore.

Would I be right in saying at least once a house is built you can
reposition your sockets where you want?

Well youi eed a completion certificarte first...
....and intehory,no you can't, because it represents a 'material
alteration' and would be retrograde if interpreted under the regs.

Inteh same way that I could not in theory spilt the large central
bedroom in my house into two, because one of its windows is not
'jumpable out of' according to fire regs.

Its the usal law of unintended consequences. 95% of building regs are
IMHO a damned good thing, but the politically inspired ones are a pain
in teh arse.

NT

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

The proper place is about 1/2 metre up the wall.

No. the *regulation* place is between 450mm and 1.2m.

The PRPER place is wher it suits YOU.

New builds are not built
to move sockets around at all.

Indeed.

IMM

IMM wrote:

The proper place is about 1/2 metre up the wall.

No. the *regulation* place is between 450mm and 1.2m.

The point is that they don't go on the skirting. So, if you move the
sockets, you have problems when sellinmg.

Mike

"IMM" wrote in message

The proper place is about 1/2 metre up the wall.

Only if you regard part M as sensible.

New builds are not built to move sockets around at all.

Many are

Mike

"IMM" wrote in message

IMM wrote:

The proper place is about 1/2 metre up the wall.

No. the *regulation* place is between 450mm and 1.2m.

The point is that they don't go on the skirting. So, if you move the
sockets, you have problems when sellinmg.

They should be in the skirting like in Italy.

There is no problem with selling - compliance with part M only applies to
new properties.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:23:53 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

IMM wrote:

The proper place is about 1/2 metre up the wall.

No. the *regulation* place is between 450mm and 1.2m.

The point is that they don't go on the skirting.

They don't anyway.

So, if you move the
sockets, you have problems when sellinmg.

Why? It doesn't benefit anybody, least of all people in wheelchairs,
most of whom would rather that things around them are as normal as
possible and not politically correct bull****.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mike

IMM wrote:

The proper place is about 1/2 metre up the wall.

No. the *regulation* place is between 450mm and 1.2m.

The point is that they don't go on the skirting.

They don't anyway.

So, if you move the
sockets, you have problems when sellinmg.

Why? It doesn't benefit anybody, least of all people in wheelchairs,
most of whom would rather that things around them are as normal as
possible and not politically correct bull****.

And let's be honest, if a wheelchair user has half a million to spend, are
they going to spend it on a flat ?

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:55:46 +0000, Mike wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:30:02 +0000, Dave Jones wrote:

I don't believe Part M covers new builds, and it wouldn't work if it

did,
you couldn't expect every new house to cater for every type of

disability,
and most disabled people have the houses modified to suit their

individual
needs as do non disabled people.

I have a customer who has moved into a £500k new 3 bed flat, and hates the
fact that the sockets are 'half way' up the wall. New build are required
to comply AFAIK.

Most new-builds have the wiring done so that the sockets and light switches
can be moved back to their proper places after final inspection. I would
expect at this price this flat can be as well and somebody has forgotten to
do so.

This is unlikely as fittings ar almost entirely plasterboard backboxes.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Mike

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

That's right. You put in two of them, wire loop through the proper position
to the TwoJags position, then place a fillet of plasterboard flush in the
proper position until it is needed. Snip the loop and plaster in the silly
position after final inspection.

In fact some people are even more blatant and just put dummy panels there.
I haven't yet seen 'double decker' switches or sockets but I expect
somebody will soon.

Building Regs Josie Milton UK diy 10 December 14th 04 11:50 PM
Adherence to Building Regs... or not? Lobster UK diy 14 January 24th 04 10:15 AM
Bog standard building regs questions Paul Clarke UK diy 5 September 4th 03 10:46 PM