Default Smoke (and other) Alarms - best suppliers of compatible ranges?

I'm aiming to buy quite a few smoke (and probably heat) alarms in the
coming week or so. These are for a duplex flat and for our house.

It's very difficult looking at web pages of suppliers to work out which
ranges are compatible regarding interconnection etc. The Screwfix web
site (and catalogue) are hopeless on this front. TLC is better but
still not perfect.

It's also not at all clear how they're mounted in many cases. I can
understand the requirement for the pattress if they're surface mounted
but how do you mount them if they're not surface mounted? Do they
mount on 'standard' electrical back boxes?

So I'd appreciate some help in choosing a suitable range.

For the flat I want one Ionisation detector, one optical detector and
(maybe) a heat detector. If it's possible to get the two smoke
detectors as the type that doubles as a ceiling rose for a light
fitting that would be ideal.

For the house I want at least two of each type of smoke detector and
one heat detector, I might decide to add some more smoke detectors for
the more 'out of the way' bedrooms. What's the best type for
bedrooms, I'd guess optical rather than ionisation, is that right?

Oh, and I think I'm going to go for lithium battery backed up mains
devices.

Any recommendations for good ranges of compatible alarms would be very
welcome. E.g. I need (if possible) a range of mains alarms with
lithium battery backup which includes:-

Optical smoke detector
Ionisation smoke detector
Heat Alarm

I'd like to be able to mix and match different mounting types and have
some which are 'pseudo ceiling rose' alarms.

--
Chris Green
BigGuyUK

wrote in message ...
[...]

Local Fire Service will supply and fit for Free
BigGuyUK

BigWallop

wrote in message ...
[...]

You'd be better off with an actual fire control panel and detectors, rather
than mains cables running everywhere.

Run your detectors in normal PVC T&E but make sure the sounder / alarm bells
are made in flame proof cable.

One control panel with 3 or 4 zones is very cheap, and only one battery to
replace in 6 years time.

I do think you'd be better with a fire alarm system all in one.

---

ARWadsworth

wrote in message ...
I'm aiming to buy quite a few smoke (and probably heat) alarms in the
coming week or so. These are for a duplex flat and for our house.

It's very difficult looking at web pages of suppliers to work out which
ranges are compatible regarding interconnection etc. The Screwfix web
site (and catalogue) are hopeless on this front. TLC is better but
still not perfect.

I am sure that you cannot interconnect different makes of smoke alarms.

Adam

Owain

"BigWallop" wrote
| You'd be better off with an actual fire control panel and detectors,
| rather than mains cables running everywhere.

Interconnected smoke alarms usually require only *one* triple+E cable to
provide power and interconnect functions.

Most conventional fire alarm systems will require either 2 x twin, or 1 x
triple, for detectors and sounders. There are single-cable systems but they
tend to be more expensive.

| Run your detectors in normal PVC T&E but make sure the sounder /
| alarm bells are made in flame proof cable.

I *think* the updated BS now requires detector cabling in fire resistant
cable. Many panels specify screened cable anyway, either Firetuff or MICC,
for electromagnetic compatibility.

| One control panel with 3 or 4 zones is very cheap, and only one
| battery to replace in 6 years time.

To comply with BS, fire alarm systems require periodic testing and
maintenance on contract. That's an unneccesary complexity and expense for a
domestic system, and may compromise safety. A cable break will show a fault
on a panel system, but could still knock out *every* detector and/or
sounder. In a workplace there will be a maintenance contract and a procedure
to call out a technican promptly to attend to this; a home user is more
likely to switch off the panel and then forget about it. A cable break on an
interconnected system should leave some alarms still working.

Moreover, interconnected smoke alarms usually provide a self-resetting hush
function, which is comparatively rare (and might not be permitted by BS) on
panel systems, yet is very useful in a domestic environment to minimise
false alarms.

| I do think you'd be better with a fire alarm system all in one.

In a single family dwelling with half a dozen detectors?

Owain

Owain

| It's also not at all clear how they're mounted in many cases.
| I can understand the requirement for the pattress if they're
| surface mounted but how do you mount them if they're not surface
| mounted? Do they mount on 'standard' electrical back boxes?

Usually a 2" round box - which are obtainable in dry-lining versions for
plasterboard ceilings.

| I'd like to be able to mix and match different mounting types and
| have some which are 'pseudo ceiling rose' alarms.

I don't think you can interconnect the ceiling rose type with any other
manufacturer's - it would be impossible for a manufacturer to certify
compliance with BS for every possible permutation of current and future
alarm from other mfrs.

I would envisage it is possible to use the ceiling rose type as an alarm
without having a pendant lamp dangling from it. *Possibly* it could be used
with the battery-back-up light remotely wired, if there is through access
from the ceilign side to the pendant terminals.

Owain

BigGuyUK wrote:
Local Fire Service will supply and fit for Free
BigGuyUK

My 'local fire service' doesn't even respond to enquiries.

--
Chris Green

ARWadsworth wrote:

wrote in message ...
I'm aiming to buy quite a few smoke (and probably heat) alarms in the
coming week or so. These are for a duplex flat and for our house.

It's very difficult looking at web pages of suppliers to work out which
ranges are compatible regarding interconnection etc. The Screwfix web
site (and catalogue) are hopeless on this front. TLC is better but
still not perfect.

I am sure that you cannot interconnect different makes of smoke alarms.

Exactly! But the web sites don't indicate which alarms are of the same
make and/or compatible. This was what I was complaining about
originally.

--
Chris Green
Gel

Kidde ones on TLC website use a mounting plate [provided with alarm];
this has knockouts for standard dry lining boxes[round or square];
this of course assumes you have the ceiling void access available to
you.

They have loose battery back up or sealed in Lithium with 10 Year
Guarantee too; well worth extra cost.

If not, you'd need the surface pattress too; this is fixed to ceiling,
and accepts mini trunking entry; the pattress has 4 way terminal block
in.
Cable harness with alarm plugs into back of alarms, and flying leads
{3] go into terminal block.

With drylining recessed box you provide the term block; Regs demand
this must be fixed; ensure your dry lining box has peg in for term
block to slide onto.

More guidance at:
www.smoke-alarms.co.uk

At least TLC's are well known brand, from a UK company..unlike unknown
ones on Screwfix..that's if you can even access web site.

TLC sell ceiling rose type, but thats not Kitemarked [essential with
safety products] and is only in Ionisation type.

wrote in message ...
[...]

Gel

They fit battery ones in some areas; typically
for less abled people/high risk groups, and other PC correct
groups.

wrote in message ...
BigGuyUK wrote:
Local Fire Service will supply and fit for Free
BigGuyUK

My 'local fire service' doesn't even respond to enquiries.

Mike

"Gel" wrote in message
om...
With drylining recessed box you provide the term block; Regs demand
this must be fixed; ensure your dry lining box has peg in for term
block to slide onto.

Why do they ask for term to be fixed ?
I've been using standard 4 pin round junction boxes in the voids. Do these
have to be secured ?

Gel

I've ,looked at CPC and they look like Firex though site doesn't say,
and many listed have no image at all; and prices are considerably more
than TLC's!

Reg states terminal blocks must not be floating, presumably because of
worries of stain on cabling may release one strand's connection.

"Mike" wrote in message ...
"Gel" wrote in message
om...
With drylining recessed box you provide the term block; Regs demand
this must be fixed; ensure your dry lining box has peg in for term
block to slide onto.

Why do they ask for term to be fixed ?
I've been using standard 4 pin round junction boxes in the voids. Do these
have to be secured ?

Thanks for your helpful responses Owain.

Owain wrote:
| It's also not at all clear how they're mounted in many cases.
| I can understand the requirement for the pattress if they're
| surface mounted but how do you mount them if they're not surface
| mounted? Do they mount on 'standard' electrical back boxes?

Usually a 2" round box - which are obtainable in dry-lining versions for
plasterboard ceilings.

Why aren't they listed with the smoke alarms? In many cases it sounds
as if the pattresses are the *only* way of mounting the alarms. As I
said none of the web sites I've looked at are very helpful on this
front.

| I'd like to be able to mix and match different mounting types and
| have some which are 'pseudo ceiling rose' alarms.

I don't think you can interconnect the ceiling rose type with any other
manufacturer's - it would be impossible for a manufacturer to certify
compliance with BS for every possible permutation of current and future
alarm from other mfrs.

I would envisage it is possible to use the ceiling rose type as an alarm
without having a pendant lamp dangling from it. *Possibly* it could be used
with the battery-back-up light remotely wired, if there is through access
from the ceilign side to the pendant terminals.

I've been hunting around a bit more and it would appear that there are
fewer of the ceiling rose type alarms that there used to be and those
that I've found are horrible expensive.

Thus it would seem that I'll have to forget about the ceiling rose
approach (it was more for the flat than the house).

So I'm now just after compatible ionisation, optical and heat alarms
which can be surface or flush mounted, mains operated with lithium
battery backup.

--
Chris Green

Gel wrote:
Kidde ones on TLC website use a mounting plate [provided with alarm];
this has knockouts for standard dry lining boxes[round or square];
this of course assumes you have the ceiling void access available to
you.

They have loose battery back up or sealed in Lithium with 10 Year
Guarantee too; well worth extra cost.

Yes, the TLC site (and its links to Kidde) has been the most useful
site I've found so far. Thanks for the extra information regarding
how the alarms can be mounted on standard dry lining boxes, that's one
of the major bits of information I wanted.

If not, you'd need the surface pattress too; this is fixed to ceiling,
and accepts mini trunking entry; the pattress has 4 way terminal block
in.
Cable harness with alarm plugs into back of alarms, and flying leads
{3] go into terminal block.

With drylining recessed box you provide the term block; Regs demand
this must be fixed; ensure your dry lining box has peg in for term
block to slide onto.

How much less do the alarms stick out when on a dry-lining box as
opposed to a surface mount one?

--
Chris Green
RichardS

wrote in message ...
ARWadsworth wrote:

wrote in message

I'm aiming to buy quite a few smoke (and probably heat) alarms in the
coming week or so. These are for a duplex flat and for our house.

It's very difficult looking at web pages of suppliers to work out

which
ranges are compatible regarding interconnection etc. The Screwfix web
site (and catalogue) are hopeless on this front. TLC is better but
still not perfect.

I am sure that you cannot interconnect different makes of smoke alarms.

Exactly! But the web sites don't indicate which alarms are of the same
make and/or compatible. This was what I was complaining about
originally.

fully agree - wonder what happens a few years down the road when a lot of
people have interconnected alarms & need to add or replace one, but the
original manufacturer's products aren't available/have been upgraded &
incompatible, etc etc.

I reckon your best bet is to pick the models that you like, then if they're
different manufacturers ring the tech departments & say "I've got an
existing installation with the other manufacturer's product installed &
want to add one of your products - will it be compatible?"

If you say "I'm thinking of fitting this product from you and that from
another manufacturer" you may get the answer "oh, we'd always advise that
you choose all from the same manufacturer - ours are best in this case"
rather than the actual case where it is/isn't technically possible.

I'm really surprised that the various BSs applicable don't define
interconnection standards, though.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Christian McArdle

Any recommendations for good ranges of compatible alarms would be very
welcome. E.g. I need (if possible) a range of mains alarms with
lithium battery backup which includes:-

I fitted Kidde Fyrnetics types. They have each type available. The
pattresses are optional and allow all the cabling to be installed and tested
before the alarms are fitted. They are not necessary and quite ugly for
residential property. They also provide a relay module, which I've connected
up to the fire circuit on my intruder alarm. For some reason, they provide
it within one of the ugly pattresses, but the module itself is small and
seems equally happy housed within an enclosure next to the alarm panel in
the understairs cupboard.

I'd like to be able to mix and match different mounting types and have
some which are 'pseudo ceiling rose' alarms.

I don't remember seeing these. I think it is best to separate light and
smoke detectors, though.

Christian.

Mike

wrote in message ...
Gel wrote:
[...]

They are like a normal battery alarm. i.e. quite sensible.

Mike

"Gel" wrote in message
m...
I've ,looked at CPC and they look like Firex though site doesn't say,
and many listed have no image at all; and prices are considerably more
than TLC's!

Reg states terminal blocks must not be floating, presumably because of
worries of stain on cabling may release one strand's connection.

I've glued them down as it was easiest to do.

Odd how a fire alarm connection could come loose but one to a lightbulb
doesn't :-)

Gel

All part of the increasing UK Nanny State!
No doubt in future we'll also be told to only do work, when wearing
safety boots/safety gloves/safety glasses etc etc!

"Mike" wrote in message ...
"Gel" wrote in message
m...
I've ,looked at CPC and they look like Firex though site doesn't say,
and many listed have no image at all; and prices are considerably more
than TLC's!

Reg states terminal blocks must not be floating, presumably because of
worries of stain on cabling may release one strand's connection.

I've glued them down as it was easiest to do.

Odd how a fire alarm connection could come loose but one to a lightbulb
doesn't :-)

Mike

"Gel" wrote in message
om...
Extra depth is 20mm.

The ones I got from TLC are only 5mm more than the battery ones they
replaced.

"Mike" wrote in message

wrote in message

Gel wrote:
[...]

Christian McArdle

Do you connect to NO or NC contacts on panel as matter of interest.

They are break connection to alarm (i.e. NC), like the intruder sensors. The
relay module has NC and NO contacts, so this is not an issue.

Christian.