Bob Eager

Default Hotpoint tumble dryer smells!

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:00:11 UTC, JimGC wrote:

My Hotpoint condenser tumble dryer has started to give of a
faintly electrical "ozoney" sort of smell that gets onto the
clothes inside. I suspect that this is the motor on its last
legs. Does this sound right, and if so, is it a DIY
replacement job, a whole new motor, or a whole new tumble
drier.... ? I've cleaned all th filters as best I can, just
in case it's notthe motor, but...

I'd guess the motor brushes. Last time I changed brushes on a Hotpoint
motor (about 2 years ago), they were about a fiver by mail order and 13
quid in the local washing machine shop. Not a major job, and cheaper
than a new motor at 40-50 quid.

Look at the motor while it's running, and worn brushes will generate
significant sparks!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Peter

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:00:11 UTC, JimGC wrote:

My Hotpoint condenser tumble dryer has started to give of a
faintly electrical "ozoney" sort of smell that gets onto the
clothes inside. I suspect that this is the motor on its last
legs. Does this sound right, and if so, is it a DIY
replacement job, a whole new motor, or a whole new tumble
drier.... ? I've cleaned all th filters as best I can, just
in case it's notthe motor, but...

I'd guess the motor brushes. Last time I changed brushes on a Hotpoint
motor (about 2 years ago), they were about a fiver by mail order and 13
quid in the local washing machine shop. Not a major job, and cheaper
than a new motor at 40-50 quid.

Look at the motor while it's running, and worn brushes will generate
significant sparks!

Carbons on a hotpoint dryer I dont think so !

Peter

Bob Eager

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:32:20 UTC, "Peter"
wrote:

Look at the motor while it's running, and worn brushes will generate
significant sparks!

Carbons on a hotpoint dryer I dont think so !

Well, I've learned something...only had to fix the wahing machine. Dryer
has never gone wrong (yet)....!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
BigWallop

"JimGC" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote:

Carbons on a hotpoint dryer I dont think so !

Do you mean the motor won't have carbon brushes but some
other kind or that you think it might be some other fault?
Cheers...

Most tumble drier have induction motors which don't have carbon brushes in
them, but work on permanent magnets. You might find that the burning smell
is coming from the heating element on the back of the front casing. If
there is a build up of fluff and things on the element holders, which are
normally china or ceramic rings fixed to the casing somehow and are easily
broken if handled roughly, then it will smoulder while the machine is being
used.

Tony Williams

In article ,
JimGC wrote:
My Hotpoint condenser tumble dryer has started to give of a
faintly electrical "ozoney" sort of smell that gets onto the
clothes inside. I suspect that this is the motor on its last
legs. Does this sound right, and if so, is it a DIY replacement
job, a whole new motor, or a whole new tumble drier.... ? I've
cleaned all th filters as best I can, just in case it's notthe
motor, but...

BTDTGTTS, just last week. You've probably got fluff
inside the body of the TD, far more than you can imagine,
a serious fire hazard. I removed at least a bucketful
out of our Hotpoint TD.

Unplug the machine and carefully lay it on it's front.
Identify the raised heater housing on the back, remove
all fixing screws, remove housing. Note the charred
fluff on the heater elements. Vacuum out everything.
Replace the housing.

Now look at the base of the machine, up the air intake
grilles. Use a bent bit of coat hanger to pull the
fluff down to the grilles, to where the vacuum cleaner
can suck them through.

Put the machine upright, remove the top lid. Vacuum out
the fluff etc. Replace lid, vacuum out the outlet hosings.

BTW: Our fluff build up reduced the airflow such that the
(non-resettable) overtemperature switch went. Two switches
inside the heater housing, replaceable only as a pair.

Hotpoint's price is GBP18.97 for a pair of 2-quid switches.

--
Tony Williams.

BigWallop

"JimGC" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote:

Most tumble drier have induction motors which don't have carbon brushes

in
them, but work on permanent magnets. You might find that the burning

smell
is coming from the heating element on the back of the front casing. If
there is a build up of fluff and things on the element holders, which are
normally china or ceramic rings fixed to the casing somehow and are

easily
broken if handled roughly, then it will smoulder while the machine is

being
used.

I'll have a look and see if I can get at and clean the
element area you mention. Any hints for doing this? Thanks.

Remove the screws that hold the casings and things on. Remember where they
all go. These machines are mass produced, so come apart with spanners and
screw drivers very easily. Switch off all power, and water if any, before
doing anything to it.