John Edgar

Default Taps

We have bathroom suites called Ideal Standard Ravenna fitted nearly 5
years ago. The taps are 1/4 turn ceramic disc, and there do not appear
to be any retaining screws on these taps to enable removal of the tops
and thereby gain access to the tap cartridge.

They are difficult to describe but look a bit like the alien spaceship
in "Alien" but in stainless steel insead of alien steel. Do I just
insert a screw driver into the very narrow gap between the bit of the
tap that moves and the bit that doesn't, and twist gently in order to
get off the tap top? In this gap is situated the red and blue disc for
hot and cold indication.

I think it is time they all had a bit of a service and clean up.

Any help most welcome.
John
In limine sapientiae
Rick Dipper

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:21:59 +0100, John Edgar
wrote:

We have bathroom suites called Ideal Standard Ravenna fitted nearly 5
years ago. The taps are 1/4 turn ceramic disc, and there do not appear
to be any retaining screws on these taps to enable removal of the tops
and thereby gain access to the tap cartridge.

They are difficult to describe but look a bit like the alien spaceship
in "Alien" but in stainless steel insead of alien steel. Do I just
insert a screw driver into the very narrow gap between the bit of the
tap that moves and the bit that doesn't, and twist gently in order to
get off the tap top? In this gap is situated the red and blue disc for
hot and cold indication.

I think it is time they all had a bit of a service and clean up.

Any help most welcome.
John
In limine sapientiae

This soulds like "if it ain't broke don't mess" should be applied
here.
The taps sound expensive .........

Rick

John Edgar

wrote:

[...]

You're right, but I hate not knowing what to do. I have found that
gently prying off the top with a wide bladed screwdriver does the
trick and reveals the tap cartridge.

Thanks for replies.
John
In limine sapientiae
John Edgar

wrote:

[...]

Do you have the little coloured plastic indicator for H or C?

If so, you may find that prising it out reveals an allen key hole.

It might not, but my memory is not that long )

I just inserted a wide bladed screwdriver into the bit between the
moving and stationary parts and hey presto, the top comes off
revealing the tap cartridge.

Simple
John
In limine sapientiae

Old bath taps Mary Fisher UK diy 14 December 11th 03 10:35 PM
Problem with a mixer shower taps jay UK diy 2 November 11th 03 02:21 AM
Help! Insufficient head for modern taps grrrrr :@ [UK]CuteSpunkyLad UK diy 6 September 3rd 03 10:01 AM
Taps on basin keep moving John Stumbles UK diy 1 August 12th 03 08:42 AM