Is scrap copper worth anything nowadays?

Old April 17th 04, 10:18 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Is scrap copper worth anything nowadays?

"William McNicol" wrote in message
om...
John Rouse wrote in message

In article , William
McNicol writes
Is it likely to be worth the trouble of cutting up to fit in the
car to sell for scrap? What sort of price /Kg would I get? (Should I
remove fittings or just leave them on?)

Its many years since I weighed-in any lead, but the chap advised me at
the time that if I cut out the sweated joints from the lead pipe he
would pay twice as much for those as for the pipe with joints.

J.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I think I'll encourage my 15 year old son to sort it out for a share
of the profits... He seems to like the idea!

Yes, it's the modern version of collecting jars and bottles to return to
shops and pubs ... oh happy days ;-)

Mary

Cheers,

William.

Old April 18th 04, 10:46 AM
Paper2002AD

I sold a cylinder and some old copper pipe to a scrap yard just a week ago -
the rate (rang around, it was the same at all the scrappies) was 700 per tonne
- I got 18 so it's worth the effort.
Old April 19th 04, 12:05 AM
Paper2002AD

There was fair bit of older copper pipe. Thicker than the modern stuff wannit?
Old April 20th 04, 04:07 PM
Dev Null

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:29:06 +0100, "Neil Jones"
wrote:

No, but if he refuses to to use metric then he's in trouble.

[re selling copper by the stone]

Why? - some metals are sold by the troy ounce - none of your
Frenchified "having of the pound" ounces either. Real ounces!

Seems to work for the Bank of England ...

DN
Old April 20th 04, 04:15 PM
Neil Jones

wrote:

No, but if he refuses to to use metric then he's in trouble.

[re selling copper by the stone]

Why? - some metals are sold by the troy ounce - none of your
Frenchified "having of the pound" ounces either. Real ounces!

Seems to work for the Bank of England ...

I assumed William was referring to the so-called 'metric martyrs' who,
contratry to newspaper reports, were not prosecuted for selling in
imperial weights, but for refusing to sell in metric.

Neil

Old April 22nd 04, 12:15 AM
William McNicol

wrote:

No, but if he refuses to to use metric then he's in trouble.

[re selling copper by the stone]

Why? - some metals are sold by the troy ounce - none of your
Frenchified "having of the pound" ounces either. Real ounces!

Seems to work for the Bank of England ...

I assumed William was referring to the so-called 'metric martyrs' who,
contratry to newspaper reports, were not prosecuted for selling in
imperial weights, but for refusing to sell in metric.

Neil

Indeed I was. And I put a smiley... I'm quite happy to buy or sell
in ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights and the like since I went to
school before the days of calculators and can do the sums in my
head.... Still, I hear Tony Bliar is going to let us have a referendum
about all this. Smiley --- :-) --- Smiley.

Back to the copper, I am now thinking of making a giant windchime out
of it: modelled on the half cocoanut shell and bits of bamboo, I'd
cut the top of the cylinder to use as the half cocoanut and dangle
bits of pipe from it.

Cheers,

william.