KD

Default Sticky situation - adhesive question .. oh ha ha (sorry)

Hi all,
I've just spent several hours carefully sticking my adhesive backed
speaker cable right around the living room to connect up the rear home
cinema speakers. Some 20 minutes later the wire has detached itself from
the double sided adhesive strip i.e. not the adhesive strip from the wall so
I have some dignity remaining. As such I now have some flat cable with no
sticking qualities whatsoever. My question is:
What adhesive is strong enough to stick and hold speaker wire indefinitely
to plasterboard (plus the usual new build magnolia paint) but will, if
required, allow you to remove it without destroying the plasterboard later ?
I wouldn't normally ask the question about removing the cable but there's
redundancies at work in the next few months so we may have to sell up remove
the speaker wire. The cable run is about 9 metres in length.

Thanks for any help,
Keith

Was I pi**ed off when it started unsticking itself :-( IXOS stuff from HiFi
Bitz - do not buy it, it doesn't work. The last lot I used was fine though
(3 years ago).

I am considering feeding this cable through the walls but this seems like
quite a big job for a reasonably lazy so and so like me. Is it a very big
job ? I've already got fish tape from Screwfix.

Grunff

KD wrote:

My question is:
What adhesive is strong enough to stick and hold speaker wire indefinitely
to plasterboard (plus the usual new build magnolia paint) but will, if
required, allow you to remove it without destroying the plasterboard later ?

There is no adhesive which will do this. The main problem with PVC
insulated wires is that they are very high in plasticiser. This
continuously oozes from the PVC. The only adhesives which will work well
on plasticised PVC are epoxy and styrene resins. Neither will ever come
off your wall.

--
Grunff
Mike John

Try a hot-melt glue gun, spots at about 6 inch intervals, sets quickly =
and "rolls off" with fingers when set if needed.

Mike

"KD" wrote in message =
[...]

=20
Thanks for any help,
Keith
=20
Was I pi**ed off when it started unsticking itself :-( IXOS stuff =

from HiFi
Bitz - do not buy it, it doesn't work. The last lot I used was fine =

though
(3 years ago).
=20
I am considering feeding this cable through the walls but this seems =

like
quite a big job for a reasonably lazy so and so like me. Is it a very =

big
job ? I've already got fish tape from Screwfix.
=20

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:01:56 +0100, KD wrote:

I wouldn't normally ask the question about removing the cable but
there's redundancies at work in the next few months so we may have
to sell up remove the speaker wire. The cable run is about 9 metres
in length.

Good grief what on earth is 18m of speaker cable made from if selling
it can provide income to cover redundancy! B-)

IMHO glues are useless, the fail eventually, though they are getting
better. Whats wrong with good old cable clips or staples?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Pete C

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:23:28 +0100, Grunff wrote:

KD wrote:

My question is:
What adhesive is strong enough to stick and hold speaker wire indefinitely
to plasterboard (plus the usual new build magnolia paint) but will, if
required, allow you to remove it without destroying the plasterboard later ?

There is no adhesive which will do this. The main problem with PVC
insulated wires is that they are very high in plasticiser. This
continuously oozes from the PVC. The only adhesives which will work well
on plasticised PVC are epoxy and styrene resins. Neither will ever come
off your wall.

Might be possible to use some quick setting clear epoxy like Araldite
on the wire as a bonding agent, then the sticky stuff still on the
wall should be able to hold onto it successfully.

Hot melt as Mike suggested would be easier to try first.

cheers,
Pete.

Ian Stirling

Grunff wrote:
KD wrote:

My question is:
What adhesive is strong enough to stick and hold speaker wire indefinitely
to plasterboard (plus the usual new build magnolia paint) but will, if
required, allow you to remove it without destroying the plasterboard later ?

There is no adhesive which will do this. The main problem with PVC
insulated wires is that they are very high in plasticiser. This
continuously oozes from the PVC. The only adhesives which will work well
on plasticised PVC are epoxy and styrene resins. Neither will ever come
off your wall.

Hot-melt, as mentioned by the other poster, can work well.
It takes a few moments practice to make a hot-melt blob, press the cable
into the blob, wait a moment, then complete with a blob on the front of
the cable, so you've got a blob completely surrounding the cable,
which can help in some cases.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
KD wrote:
I am considering feeding this cable through the walls but this seems
like quite a big job for a reasonably lazy so and so like me. Is it a
very big job ? I've already got fish tape from Screwfix.

You say it's a new build - presumably with solid floors? Running a wire
along a wall for any distance is likely to be very iffy - without making
access holes every so often. I'd say the easiest way would be to remove
the skirting board.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

KD wrote:

[...]

Frankly nothing. Either it stricks to teh paint or its no bloody good.
If it stiks to teh paint it will rip it of the wall. Assume that you
will have to redecoireate and unse superglue.

Thanks for any help,
Keith

Was I pi**ed off when it started unsticking itself :-( IXOS stuff from HiFi
Bitz - do not buy it, it doesn't work. The last lot I used was fine though
(3 years ago).

I am considering feeding this cable through the walls but this seems like
quite a big job for a reasonably lazy so and so like me. Is it a very big
job ? I've already got fish tape from Screwfix.

Lurch

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:24:19 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman
strung together this:

In article ,
KD wrote:
I am considering feeding this cable through the walls but this seems
like quite a big job for a reasonably lazy so and so like me. Is it a
very big job ? I've already got fish tape from Screwfix.

You say it's a new build - presumably with solid floors? Running a wire
along a wall for any distance is likely to be very iffy - without making
access holes every so often. I'd say the easiest way would be to remove
the skirting board.

Easier still, tuck it behind the edge of the carpet.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
Easier still, tuck it behind the edge of the carpet.

New build house? Rear speakers on a home cinema setup? If ever there was
laminate flooring stereotype...

--

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

KD

KD wrote:
I am considering feeding this cable through the walls but this seems
like quite a big job for a reasonably lazy so and so like me. Is it a
very big job ? I've already got fish tape from Screwfix.

You say it's a new build - presumably with solid floors? Running a wire
along a wall for any distance is likely to be very iffy - without making
access holes every so often. I'd say the easiest way would be to remove
the skirting board.

Easier still, tuck it behind the edge of the carpet.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

If only we had carpeted floors :-) That's what I did at the last place.
Looks like the skirting might have to come off :-(

Thanks all

Al Reynolds

"KD" wrote:
I wouldn't normally ask the question about removing the cable but there's
redundancies at work in the next few months so we may have to sell up

remove
the speaker wire. The cable run is about 9 metres in length.

I left all my home cinema wiring in when we sold our
new build house after three years. The new owners
were quite happy that it was all there.

Al

James Hart

Al Reynolds wrote:
"KD" wrote:
I wouldn't normally ask the question about removing the cable but
there's redundancies at work in the next few months so we may have
to sell up remove the speaker wire. The cable run is about 9 metres
in length.

I left all my home cinema wiring in when we sold our
new build house after three years. The new owners
were quite happy that it was all there.

I put the wiring in for my sister's setup before she had the laminate laid,
as an added complication she wanted the room arrangeable in 2 directions so
I wired it all up to one position and then took a parallel set of
connections round to the alternate position.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

geoff

In message , KD
writes
[...]

Sounds like what you really need are some cable clamps

e.g. plastic bases with double sided sticky and holes through which you
can feed a tiewrap

--
geoff
Capitol

geoff wrote in message ...
Sounds like what you really need are some cable clamps

e.g. plastic bases with double sided sticky and holes through which you
can feed a tiewrap

or the aluminium type where the cable is retained by the pressed out lugs,

Regards
Capitol

KD

"Capitol" wrote in message

geoff wrote in message ...
Sounds like what you really need are some cable clamps

e.g. plastic bases with double sided sticky and holes through which you
can feed a tiewrap

or the aluminium type where the cable is retained by the pressed out lugs,

Regards
Capitol

Hi,
I've never seen these - have you got a link ? The result I'm after is
that this long length of flat cable lies totally flush up against the wall.
At the moment I'm about to pull the beading up from the around the laminate
to see if the gap is big enough to hide the cables. If not then I'll buy
thinner cables or pull the skirting off.
It's a bigger job than I'd hoped ... oh well, at least it'll look neat when
it's finished.

Thanks,
Keith

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Adhesive colour for floor tiles? Greg UK diy 7 September 12th 03 07:21 PM