al

Default Paint for concrete garage floor?

Been thinking of painting my garage floor as it's always magically dusty, as
only a rough concrete floor can do! First of all, do I need to prime/seal
it with something special, or do the floor paints do that with the first
coat?

Second of all - I've seen "special" garage floor paints which are at least
£5 a tin more than normal floor paints. All I can see on the tin to justify
this is that they are .. ahem .. heat resistant against hot tyres. Now it
may just be me, but even when I drive the be-Jesus outta my car and park it
up, the tires get just above a temperature that's bearable to touch. In
general terms that's not really *that* hot though. The brakes and engine on
the other hand would blind a man with night-goggles on!

Does normal paint really not withstand the "massive" heat of just above
comfortable hand hot tyres? Is it just a rip off? Has anyone found paint
attached to their tyres the next morning due to thermal meltdown of the
floor!?

Peter Ashby

In article ,
"al" wrote:

Been thinking of painting my garage floor as it's always magically dusty, as
only a rough concrete floor can do! First of all, do I need to prime/seal
it with something special, or do the floor paints do that with the first
coat?

I bought two tins from Wickes, one their garage floor sealer, two their
garage floor paint. Prepared with a damn good sweep followed by a wash
with soapy water. Use a roller on a pole to apply and don't paint
yourself into a corner.

Only problems we an oily patch from a previous owner, should have
used something strong to remove that. A patch of efflorescence on the
concrete which rejected both sealer and paint, not sure what to do about
that one though. Apart from those it has worked well after 3 1/2 years
and now the only dust is the wood dust the shopvac doesn't get.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Josey

"al" wrote in message
[...]

You could just seal it with PVA diluted with water (instructions on the
container for mix) otherwise if you use special paints they often still need
to be diluted (spirits) before the first coat.

Jc.

al

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
news
I bought two tins from Wickes, one their garage floor sealer, two their
garage floor paint. Prepared with a damn good sweep followed by a wash
with soapy water. Use a roller on a pole to apply and don't paint
yourself into a corner.

Only problems we an oily patch from a previous owner, should have
used something strong to remove that. A patch of efflorescence on the
concrete which rejected both sealer and paint, not sure what to do about
that one though. Apart from those it has worked well after 3 1/2 years
and now the only dust is the wood dust the shopvac doesn't get.

Peter

Don't suppose you remember what size & cost they were? How much did you
have to use to cover the full floor - was it a single or double garage?

Peter Ashby

In article ,
"al" wrote:

Don't suppose you remember what size & cost they were? How much did you
have to use to cover the full floor - was it a single or double garage?

single garage, medium size tins, about 4l from memory. I still have some
of the paint left after two coats though I used all the sealant.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Reverse the Spam and remove to email me.

Beech block floor restoration rob w UK diy 1 July 24th 03 02:10 AM
Varnished Floor Brush Marks Bob UK diy 9 July 22nd 03 03:45 PM
Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM
Painting the garage floor Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 17th 03 07:49 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM