Steve Loft

Default Replacing cast iron waste pipe

I live in a bungalow which has a two-pipe cast iron waste system from
the bathroom. I want to replace the sink/bath waste pipe with plastic.

Currently, this is a large affair with a vent above the gutter line,
like the w.c. waste. Do I have to replace the large pipe with the vent,
or can I just run the waste pipes from the bath and sink separately
straight into the drain?
--
Steve Loft
The Natural Philosopher

Steve Loft wrote:

I live in a bungalow which has a two-pipe cast iron waste system from
the bathroom. I want to replace the sink/bath waste pipe with plastic.

Currently, this is a large affair with a vent above the gutter line,
like the w.c. waste.

Do you mean you have two vents from approximately the same part of the
drain? If so you should only need the one.

However it seems unlikley that this has been done for no reason. But I
am at a loss as to why its like it is, or who would be competent to give
an opinion.

Notmally the bath and basin are tee'ed into the same waste pipe as the
bog, or perhaps they are in different parts of the house? In which case
a separate vent or an air admittance valve may be required.

Do I have to replace the large pipe with the vent,
or can I just run the waste pipes from the bath and sink separately
straight into the drain?

Steve Loft

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Notmally the bath and basin are tee'ed into the same waste pipe as the
bog, or perhaps they are in different parts of the house? In which case
a separate vent or an air admittance valve may be required.

It's two completely separate waste pipes, one for the wc and one for the
basin and bath. Both waste pipes are long things going up above the roof
line, each vented at the top. I understand this was a common way of
doing things pre-60's.

Basically, I need to know if the basin and bath actually need to be
vented like this, or whether they can run straight into the drain,
bearing in mind they're on the ground floor.

--
Steve Loft
The Natural Philosopher

Steve Loft wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Notmally the bath and basin are tee'ed into the same waste pipe as the
bog, or perhaps they are in different parts of the house? In which
case a separate vent or an air admittance valve may be required.

It's two completely separate waste pipes, one for the wc and one for the
basin and bath. Both waste pipes are long things going up above the roof
line, each vented at the top. I understand this was a common way of
doing things pre-60's.

Basically, I need to know if the basin and bath actually need to be
vented like this, or whether they can run straight into the drain,
bearing in mind they're on the ground floor.

They should be able to share a common downpipe. Its NOT a common way of
doing things tho. - twin stacks - unless they are physically very separate.

The stack pipe is there to relase noxious gases from the drain, and
prevent the rush of a flushed loo from sucking the water out of the bath
and basin traps. You must have at least one such stack vent somewhere.

Howver, it may be best in your case to replace all the iron work above
ground with a modern plastic stack, and get the bath and loo
installation checked over by a competent architect, who will be familiar
with modern regulations.

Whn in doubt, rip it out. Tradesmen are far better at installing new
bits than tampering with older ones. My guess is the job will work out
cheaper as well. Work out waht you want as far as layout goes, get an
architect to check over it for falls etc etc and any potential
structural problems, get a quote from decent builder, get rid of the
iron and replac with a modern plastic system.

N. Thornton

Steve Loft wrote in message ...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Notmally the bath and basin are tee'ed into the same waste pipe as the
bog, or perhaps they are in different parts of the house? In which case
a separate vent or an air admittance valve may be required.

It's two completely separate waste pipes, one for the wc and one for the
basin and bath. Both waste pipes are long things going up above the roof
line, each vented at the top. I understand this was a common way of
doing things pre-60's.

Basically, I need to know if the basin and bath actually need to be
vented like this, or whether they can run straight into the drain,
bearing in mind they're on the ground floor.

Hi

I wonder if the 2 pipes go different places, its quite possible. I'm
told that can be done to allow use of a smaller septic tank. If so
they'll need to be kept on the 2 separate flows.

Usually, on Vic houses, the grey water pipe venting is done at ground
level, courtesy of an open drain and open pipe ends.

Your question: I dont know. Certainly if you used an open drain you
wouldnt need a vent pipe.

Regards, NT

Steve Loft

N. Thornton wrote:

I wonder if the 2 pipes go different places, its quite possible. I'm
told that can be done to allow use of a smaller septic tank. If so
they'll need to be kept on the 2 separate flows.

Ah - good point. The house used to have a septic tank, but now it's on
the mains, so it could well have been designed like that.

Your question: I dont know. Certainly if you used an open drain you
wouldnt need a vent pipe.

Well, it's an open drain, so it looks like I'll be fine doing away with
the vent pipe. Thanks.

--
Steve Loft
Peter Taylor

"Steve Loft" wrote in message
I live in a bungalow which has a two-pipe cast iron waste system from
the bathroom. I want to replace the sink/bath waste pipe with plastic.

Currently, this is a large affair with a vent above the gutter line,
like the w.c. waste. Do I have to replace the large pipe with the vent,
or can I just run the waste pipes from the bath and sink separately
straight into the drain?
--
Steve Loft

Steve - under the Building Regs (and local Byelaws before that) there is a
maximum permitted length for an unventilated waste pipe - the intention is to
prevent the waste water flowing down the pipe from sucking or siphoning out the
water in the trap. The max length varies according to diameter and fall, but
for a 32mm dia basin waste the max length is 1.7m and for a 40mm bath waste it
is 3m. Any pipes longer than this need to be ventilated, like your system. The
fact that they are proves to me that your system was a quality installation at
the time. It is a fairly common arrangement on large older buildings.

These days there are various other ways of overcoming the problem without
needing a vent pipe, but I presume your wastes discharge into a drain gully
outside which limits your choice. The two simplest methods for you are to
either:
a) increase the size of the waste pipes after the traps, or
b) use anti-siphon or "anti vac" traps

If IMM were here he would be saying to use a special system he knows about )

Regards
Peter

N. Thornton

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message .. .
"Steve Loft" wrote in message
[...]

Ahhh. It is also possible, and much quicker, to convert your
non-anti-vac trap into an antivac, with the aid of a lil bit of paltic
tube (sawn off felt tip) and 2 wire ties. Look in any antivac trap to
see where to stick the tube. Far quicker than replacing it.

Regards, NT

Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 06:34 AM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 08:17 AM
Replacing old steel water main supply pipe Pandora UK diy 3 January 24th 04 09:53 AM
Iron Waste Pipe BillR UK diy 9 August 28th 03 07:55 PM
cutting a hole in a cast iron soil pipe Steve UK diy 7 August 11th 03 02:08 PM