Richard Sterry

Default Identify this type of non-return valve?

Can anyone identify the type of non-return valve shown in this photo please?

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/non-return_valve.jpg

I only looked inside briefly, but it appeared to consist of something rather
like a semi-rigid plastic duck's bill - or perhaps more like the flattened
neck of those balloons that are designed to make a very loud (and rather
rude) noise when released!

You will appreciate that searching for "non-return valve" is a bit too
general, so a more specific generic or manufacturer's name would be a great
help to me.

Many thanks

--
Rick

Set Square

Richard Sterry wrote:

Can anyone identify the type of non-return valve shown in this photo
please?

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/non-return_valve.jpg

I only looked inside briefly, but it appeared to consist of something
rather like a semi-rigid plastic duck's bill - or perhaps more like
the flattened neck of those balloons that are designed to make a very
loud (and rather rude) noise when released!

You will appreciate that searching for "non-return valve" is a bit too
general, so a more specific generic or manufacturer's name would be a
great help to me.

Many thanks

Not totally sure - but it could possibly be a double check valve designed to
be put in a cold water supply to outside taps etc., to stop any dirty water
from syphoning back into the mains if the mains supply fails.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

richard

Richard Sterry wrote:
Can anyone identify the type of non-return valve shown in this photo
please?

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/non-return_valve.jpg

I only looked inside briefly, but it appeared to consist of

something
rather like a semi-rigid plastic duck's bill - or perhaps more like
the flattened neck of those balloons that are designed to make a

very
loud (and rather rude) noise when released!

You will appreciate that searching for "non-return valve" is a bit

too
general, so a more specific generic or manufacturer's name would be

great help to me.

Many thanks

What's the application? It looks like a Hep2O waste trap, no u bend as
such but a plasic "fanny" that only lets the sink water one way. It is
a non return valve but am surprised to see the copper fitting in
there. What sort of back pressure are u expecting it to hold?
--
Richard

BigWallop

"Richard Sterry" wrote in message
Can anyone identify the type of non-return valve shown in this photo

please?

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/non-return_valve.jpg

I only looked inside briefly, but it appeared to consist of something

rather
like a semi-rigid plastic duck's bill - or perhaps more like the flattened
neck of those balloons that are designed to make a very loud (and rather
rude) noise when released!

You will appreciate that searching for "non-return valve" is a bit too
general, so a more specific generic or manufacturer's name would be a

great
help to me.

Many thanks

Rick

Where is this fitted, and to which type of appliance? Is it on the drainage
from a condenser boiler? I only ask because it looks like an anti-syphon
waste trap rather than any non-return valve I've ever seen. Saying that,
new technology seems to be overtaking me at the moment on plumbing parts.

IMM

"richard" wrote in message
Richard Sterry wrote:
[...]

It is a HepVo trap. The copper fitting appears to be just placed there.

IMM

"Set Square" wrote in message
Richard Sterry wrote:

Can anyone identify the type of non-return valve shown in this photo
please?

http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/non-return_valve.jpg

I only looked inside briefly, but it appeared to consist of something
rather like a semi-rigid plastic duck's bill - or perhaps more like
the flattened neck of those balloons that are designed to make a very
loud (and rather rude) noise when released!

You will appreciate that searching for "non-return valve" is a bit too
general, so a more specific generic or manufacturer's name would be a
great help to me.

Many thanks

Not totally sure - but it could possibly be a double check valve designed

be put in a cold water supply to outside taps etc., to stop any dirty

water
from syphoning back into the mains if the mains supply fails.

My God, and this one is telling me how pumps work. I despair. It is a HepVo
trap. Go to the hepworthplumbing web site. I can't be bothered educating
fools.

Set Square

IMM wrote:

Not totally sure - but it could possibly be a double check valve
designed to be put in a cold water supply to outside taps etc., to
stop any dirty water from syphoning back into the mains if the mains
supply fails.

My God, and this one is telling me how pumps work. I despair. It is
a HepVo trap. Go to the hepworthplumbing web site. I can't be
bothered educating fools.

Then it's a good job that some of us have greater generosity of spirit! I
did admit that I wasn't sure about that one, never having seen anything
quite like it.

Despite your attitude, I have spent a considerable amount of time this
evening trying to educate *you* (and I will leave others to judge whether or
not that is "educating fools") in some very elementary principles of
physics - which should be second nature to any "professional" engaged in
anything involving water circulation.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

IMM

"Set Square" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Not totally sure - but it could possibly be a double check valve
designed to be put in a cold water supply to outside taps etc., to
stop any dirty water from syphoning back into the mains if the mains
supply fails.

My God, and this one is telling me how pumps work. I despair. It is
a HepVo trap. Go to the hepworthplumbing web site. I can't be
bothered educating fools.

Then it's a good job that some of us have greater generosity of spirit! I
did admit that I wasn't sure about that one, never having seen anything
quite like it.

Despite your attitude, I have spent a considerable amount of time this
evening trying to educate *you*

On what? Not heating water and associated controls me boy. Never in a
million years. You are deluded.

Richard Sterry

"IMM" wrote in message

It is a HepVo trap. The copper fitting appears to be just placed there.

Excellent, a positive I/D on the valves - thanks for all replies. I did not
explain the application. They have been used in the waste outlets of a large
clinical analyser, and the copper fittings are to permit braided
(reinforced) hose to be connected conveniently. I do not have access to the
contractors who sourced the bits, so was unable to ask them what they had
used.

The valves help prevent wastes (which are very frothy) from one (active)
machine being pumped back up the waste outlets of another (idle) machine, in
the case where there is a slight pressure build-up in the drain piping. The
drain system cannot be vented in the vicinity of the machines, otherwise
everyone in the lab would soon be knee deep in froth, so a small positive
pressure in the drain system local to the machines is inevitable.

Many thanks again for an excellent result. Unfortunately, the Hepworth UK
site is 'down' at the time of writing (typing?), but the Hepworth New
Zealand site, and some suppliers' web sites, had the necessary info.

Rick