Charles Middleton

Default Breeze Block / Party Walls Questions

Hi,

Further to my post on rawl bolts I've got another few questions now as
follows ...

I live in a semi detached property. The party wall is the lounge wall of
each property. I want to mount a flat screen TV on the lounge wall which
weights about 28kg's. I've put some holes in the plaster to determine what's
behind the wall and it is as follows:

Breeze Block - 5cm gap approx* - Plaster Board

* The 5cm gap allows for the plaster to clear the flu blocks which run up
the middle of the wall and slightly extrude the main breeze block.

My question is if I use say four 10mm rawl bolts with studding to bring the
screw thread forward of the plaster board will this be sufficient enough to
mount that sort of weight on (28kgs) - bearing in mind that the screens
bracket wont be resting against the wall but the 5cm of studding between the
breeze block and the plasterboard will be supporting the weight. I imagine I
will need four fixings.

Also, is it acceptable to drill into my party wall in this way? I imagine
that there are actually two courses(?) of breeze block between the two
houses and I cant inadvertently drill straight into next doors room.

Thanks in advance,

CM.

Lurch

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:21:24 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Charles
Middleton" strung together this:

[...]

Can't comment on that, depends how well you fix them to the wall,
should do though.

Also, is it acceptable to drill into my party wall in this way? I imagine
that there are actually two courses(?) of breeze block between the two
houses and I cant inadvertently drill straight into next doors room.

Yes, in order to end up in next doors front room you would have to
drill a good 12"+.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Nick Brooks

Lurch wrote:
[...]

Unless you live in a house like mine (1870's terrace) where the party
walls are only about 4" thick including the plaster.

The previous owner of my house drilled right through on one memorable
occasion

Nick Brooks
(and if you're wondering how I can remember what the previous owner did,
I moved from number 3 to number 6)
Bob Eager

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:10:07 UTC, Nick Brooks
wrote:

Unless you live in a house like mine (1870's terrace) where the party
walls are only about 4" thick including the plaster.

The previous owner of my house drilled right through on one memorable
occasion

Nick Brooks
(and if you're wondering how I can remember what the previous owner did,
I moved from number 3 to number 6)

He drilled through two intervening houses?? :-)
--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Neil Jones

wrote:

Unless you live in a house like mine (1870's terrace) where the

party
walls are only about 4" thick including the plaster.

The previous owner of my house drilled right through on one

memorable
occasion

Nick Brooks
(and if you're wondering how I can remember what the previous owner

did,
I moved from number 3 to number 6)

He drilled through two intervening houses?? :-)
--
Bob Eager

I was thinking that the odds and evens were probably on opposite sides
of the road!

Neil

PoP

On 6 Apr 2004 09:19:19 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

He drilled through two intervening houses?? :-)

You have to be soooooo careful what you write on this forum these
days!

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
Charles Middleton

"Lurch" wrote in message

Yes, in order to end up in next doors front room you would have to
drill a good 12"+.

So do you think there are two courses of bricks in between the house and
plaster either side of those?

e.g.

My House - |Plaster| - |Breeze Block| - |Breeze Block| - |Plaster| - Next
Door

CM.

Lurch

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:48:54 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Charles

"Lurch" wrote in message

Yes, in order to end up in next doors front room you would have to
drill a good 12"+.

So do you think there are two courses of bricks in between the house and
plaster either side of those?

e.g.

My House - |Plaster| - |Breeze Block| - |Breeze Block| - |Plaster| - Next
Door

Assuming it is a fairly modern house, post 60s sort of era, then yes.
There will be a cavity between the two breeze block skins too.
Although I won't say definitely because I can't see it, but in all
probability, yes.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Hugo Nebula

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:48:54 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee named
"Charles Middleton" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

So do you think there are two courses of bricks in between the house and
plaster either side of those?

e.g.

My House - |Plaster| - |Breeze Block| - |Breeze Block| - |Plaster| - Next
Door

Most likely:
Your -|P'bd|-|10mm|-|Conc |-|50-75mm|-|Conc |-|10mm|-|p'bd|-Next
house | | |gap | |block| |cavity | |block| |gap | | | door.

The thing you have to worry about (apart from making sure the fixings
are adequate to support the load and that, if the blocks are aerated
concrete, you have the right fixings), is transmission of sound. If
the screen contains any speakers, fixing them to the wall can transmit
a lot more of the lower frequencies through to next door.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
N. Thornton

Hi

Is it legal to drill fixing/mounting holes into a party wall without
going through all the party wall act stuff, or can one really not put
up a shelf legitimately?

Thanks, NT