John Aston

Default Mixing header and pumps

My understanding is that most domestic unvented heating systems use the
boiler's pump to circulate water and on/off valves to divert water to the
hot water cylinder or heating zones.

Under what circumstances should the zone valves be replaced by zone pumps
with a mixing header between the pumps and the boiler? What's the function
of the mixing header, and do you always need it if you have any heating
circuit pumps or DHW pumps external to the boiler?

Does a zone pump arrangement confer any control advantages over using a
boiler pump + zone valves?

(I'm currently considering buying a 38kW boiler which offers a vertical low
velocity header as an accessory:
http://www.mhsboilers.com/boilers/premix/strata1.htm)

IMM

"John Aston" wrote in message
My understanding is that most domestic unvented heating systems use the
boiler's pump to circulate water and on/off valves to divert water to the
hot water cylinder or heating zones.

Under what circumstances should the zone valves be replaced by zone pumps
with a mixing header between the pumps and the boiler? What's the function
of the mixing header, and do you always need it if you have any heating
circuit pumps or DHW pumps external to the boiler?

Does a zone pump arrangement confer any control advantages over using a
boiler pump + zone valves?

(I'm currently considering buying a 38kW boiler which offers a vertical

low
velocity header as an accessory:
http://www.mhsboilers.com/boilers/premix/strata1.htm)

If I was you I would go for:

* A heat bank/thermal store. Off this you can have the UFH and rad
circuits, each one taken directly off the herat bank, so influence from one
to the other. The UFH is taken off the cooler bottom, the rads off the
centre and the DHW off the hotter top It also provides instant mains
pressure DHW. It provides a neutral point that solves many problems with
mixed circuits too. See http://www.heatweb.com for an explanation. Other
companies make heat banks too. The boiler only heats the heat bank and is
best with two cylinder stats to eliminate inefficient boiler cycling. The
mains pressure DHW means that power shower pumps are not required. Check
out your mains pressure. It may be worth your while replacing the existing
mains pipe with a new plastic larger bore pipe.

* A simpler and much cheaper condensing boiler: Worcester Bosch Greenstar,
Ideal Icos, Glow Worm, are three good candidates and can be had from
£500-£750. The advantage of an heat bank is that cheaper and much simpler
boiler can be used as they only heat the water in the heat bank as fast as
possible.

* A control system of a Landis & Staefa 2 stage controller and modulating
valves. (see my other post on this)

This would be a pretty cost effective solution and provide exactly what you
need giving excellent efficiency and economy.

The Landis & Staefa controller does most of the control, seamlessly
controlling the two differing heating systems of UFH and rads brilliantly,
rather than have a control system in an expensive boiler that only half does
the job.

John Stumbles

John Aston wrote:
My understanding is that most domestic unvented heating systems use the
boiler's pump to circulate water and on/off valves to divert water to the
hot water cylinder or heating zones.

Under what circumstances should the zone valves be replaced by zone pumps
with a mixing header between the pumps and the boiler? What's the function
of the mixing header, and do you always need it if you have any heating
circuit pumps or DHW pumps external to the boiler?

According to the boiler installation instructions on mhs' web site you
use the mixing header if the resistance of the heating system to be
supplied is more than the boiler's built-in pump can handle.

(I'm currently considering buying a 38kW boiler which offers a vertical low
velocity header as an accessory:
http://www.mhsboilers.com/boilers/premix/strata1.htm)

Why this particular boiler? I haven't looked at the price but I probably
don't need to ;-). Your house must be (a) ginormous (b) draughty and/or
(c) badly insulated to warrant a 38kW non-combi boiler, but if you need
the output for either of (b) or (c) then spending £x on dealing with
these losses is likely to give a better return on investment than
spending the same amount on a more sophisticated boiler. For smaller
and/or more energy-efficient houses the energy savings from installing
even a cheap condensing boiler probably won't actually repay the extra
purchase cost of the beast (though hopefully the prices of condensing
boilers will come down next year when the big builders start buying
1000s of them).
IMM

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
John Aston wrote:
[...]

Not so. By April you will have no option anyhow.

Aidan

"John Aston" wrote in message ...
My understanding is that most domestic unvented heating systems use the
boiler's pump to circulate water and on/off valves to divert water to the
hot water cylinder or heating zones.

The main advantage of this is cheapness. One pump costs less than
several pumps and the associated controls. One pump is generally
adequate for most UK domestic installations. Many UK 'heating
engineers' cannot comprehend anything more complex than one pump and a
3-port mid-position valve.

Shutting a zone-valve will cause an increase in the flow rates to all
the other open zones. This may cause problems with intermittent noise,
especially from TRVs. It will mess up any intelligent control systems,
anything with sensors and modulating valves.

Under what circumstances should the zone valves be replaced by zone pumps
with a mixing header between the pumps and the boiler? What's the function
of the mixing header, and do you always need it if you have any heating
circuit pumps or DHW pumps external to the boiler?

Does a zone pump arrangement confer any control advantages over using a
boiler pump + zone valves?

Yes. You can get a more consistent flow rate to each zone. Shutting
off any one zone won't affect the others. It costs more. I'm not sure
why they call it a mixing header, I don't have time to look at the
link. It's more usually a low-loss header, with no mixing of the water
taking place before the returns. A thermal store/buffer vessel would
also perform this function, as mentioned in the post about the heating
controls.

Try also a Google search for primary/secondary pumping and "closely
spaced tees".

(I'm currently considering buying a 38kW boiler which offers a vertical low
velocity header as an accessory:
http://www.mhsboilers.com/boilers/premix/strata1.htm)

Aidan

"John Aston" wrote in message ...

PS to the above.

If you're using a mixing device, for UFH for example, and are not
using a boiler-reset type system, then you have to have a second
circulator. The mixing valve might, for example, require 90% return
water mixed with 10% hotter flow water. There will be 10% of the
return from the mixed circuit returning to the boiler and this will
probably be inadequate for proper boiler operation. I've seen mixing
valves piped like this, though. They worked ok, unless they started
mixing.

In the above case you might have a primary pump circulating water
from the boiler around a low-loss header and to the DHWS. You'd then
have one or more secondary circuits, with their own pumps drawing
water as required from the primary circuit. The secondary circuits
would all return the same volume of return water to the primary as
they draw off, so they won't affect the primary flow rate.
Pandora

John Aston wrote:
My understanding is that most domestic unvented heating systems use the
boiler's pump to circulate water and on/off valves to divert water to

the
hot water cylinder or heating zones.

Under what circumstances should the zone valves be replaced by zone

pumps
with a mixing header between the pumps and the boiler? What's the

function
of the mixing header, and do you always need it if you have any heating
circuit pumps or DHW pumps external to the boiler?

According to the boiler installation instructions on mhs' web site you
use the mixing header if the resistance of the heating system to be
supplied is more than the boiler's built-in pump can handle.

OK, but why not simply put another primary pump in series with the boiler?

(I'm currently considering buying a 38kW boiler which offers a vertical

low
velocity header as an accessory:
http://www.mhsboilers.com/boilers/premix/strata1.htm)

Why this particular boiler? I haven't looked at the price but I probably
don't need to ;-). Your house must be (a) ginormous (b) draughty and/or
(c) badly insulated to warrant a 38kW non-combi boiler, but if you need
the output for either of (b) or (c) then spending £x on dealing with
these losses is likely to give a better return on investment than
spending the same amount on a more sophisticated boiler.

snip

(a) 890 cu.m. and 'yes' to (b) and (c). The property is an old listed
building and I can't change 20 large single-glazed sash windows for
double-glazed ones...but that's a topic for a whole new thread. I'm doing
what the Conservation Officer will allow me in terms of insulation.

Pandora

Aidan wrote in message
om...
"John Aston" wrote in message

[...]

I did the Google search, and in doing so realised that the "low velocity
mixing header" actually forms a primary loop, with the secondary pumped
heating loops teed off primary loop. Contrast this with the normal domestic
single pump and multiple zone valve arrangement, which is more like a radial
circuit (sort of).

It seems that primary/secondary pumping is used predominantly in larger
(commercial) heating installations whereas domestic heating systems just
have a primary pump and zone valves. I don't know at what point you should
change from zone valves to p/s pumping. Perhaps, when you want more control
than the 'crude' on/off systems provided by Danfoss Randall.

John Aston

Pandora wrote in message

(a) 890 cu.m. and 'yes' to (b) and (c). The property is an old listed
building and I can't change 20 large single-glazed sash windows for
double-glazed ones...but that's a topic for a whole new thread. I'm doing
what the Conservation Officer will allow me in terms of insulation.

That was actually my post, sent using my wife's newsreader by mistake.

John

John Aston

Aidan wrote in message
om...
"John Aston" wrote in message

If you're using a mixing device, for UFH for example, and are not
using a boiler-reset type system, then you have to have a second
circulator. The mixing valve might, for example, require 90% return
water mixed with 10% hotter flow water. There will be 10% of the
return from the mixed circuit returning to the boiler and this will
probably be inadequate for proper boiler operation.

Doesn't an automatic bypass valve stop this problem?

I've seen mixing
valves piped like this, though. They worked ok, unless they started
mixing.

In the above case you might have a primary pump circulating water
from the boiler around a low-loss header and to the DHWS.

With the DHWS controlled by a zone valve, I guess.

You'd then
have one or more secondary circuits, with their own pumps drawing
water as required from the primary circuit. The secondary circuits
would all return the same volume of return water to the primary as
they draw off, so they won't affect the primary flow rate.

That sounds so reasonable. Unfortunately, none of the domestic heating
design books I've read refer to anything other than one primary pump plus
zone valves. Being a beginner, I don't know if I'd have the confidence to go
for pumps instead of valves.

IMM

"John Aston" wrote in message

(I'm currently considering buying a 38kW
boiler which offers a vertical low
velocity header as an accessory:
http://www.mhsboilers.com/boilers/premix/strata1.htm)

Don't go that exspensive route. Another cost effective approach for you is:

* Use a Landis & Steafa RWC82 controller. Two stage with "switching in
each stage, no modulation.

* use a load compensating control combi for UFH only.

* Use a cheapish combi, not even a condensing model for the rads, as it will
not be used as often as the UFH.

* Have the condensing combi (UFH) do the DHW kitchen tap and other most used
taps in the house. Have the other combi do the other taps. Combine the two
hot outlets using non-return valves and a small shock arrestor, just before
the high flow tap, which is the bath. The two combined should give over 20
litres per minute. Have one combi do one shower, one combi do the other, so
no interference from one to the other.

The RWC82 controller will switch in the UFH combi which is set to no more
than 55C and it will modulate accordingly, so lowering the UFH temp to suit.
The UFH is now sorted. When the UFH can't cope the rads combi will be
switched in on the 2nd stage. This is boost so no real need for
sophisticated modulation.

This is a very cheap and effective solution to your needs.
Seemless control of the UFH and rads to maintain the room temperatures.
No expensive boilers,
No expensive modulating valves.
DHW instantly and to high flowrates by combining the two combi outlets.

The set up is simple: one two stage controller and two combi's. The two
combi's may set you back no more than £1400-1500. The 2nd stage rads combi
can be had for under £400, The controller is £250. You may want to have a
high limit pipe stat on the UFH flow set to 56C. When over 56C the UFH
combi cuts out to protect the UFH circuits. You also have eredundancy. If
one boiler is down you have have another.

So, one controller, controlling two boilers to maintain a room temperature
setpoint. The controllers are highly accurate and will maintain the room
temp to what you set it to.

NB: 4 room temperature sensors located around the house can be wired up to
"average" between them. This gives a more realistic house temperature. I
would not have them on rads in rooms where the sensors are.

If the DHW flowrate is fine, 20 l/min will do even two bathrooms at a push,
then I would go this route for cost effectiveness.

John Stumbles

John Aston wrote:
Pandora wrote in message

(a) 890 cu.m. and 'yes' to (b) and (c). The property is an old listed
building and I can't change 20 large single-glazed sash windows for
double-glazed ones...but that's a topic for a whole new thread. I'm doing
what the Conservation Officer will allow me in terms of insulation.

That was actually my post, sent using my wife's newsreader by mistake.

Had me scratching my head!

Looks like an ultra-efficient condensing boiler _is_ what you need then!
Other makes/models you might look at (if you haven't already done so)
are Keston and MAN or whatever they're called now. I daresay Andy H will
be along in a few milliseconds to tell you all about his, though you
could always ask that nice Mr Google :-)
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...rs=Andy%20Hall

Aidan

"John Aston" wrote in message t...

Doesn't an automatic bypass valve stop this problem?

No. I don't think I was clear.

The first paragraph referred to a heating system with a mixing valve,
but only one pump, i.e., the way NOT to do it. The mixing valve was
between the pump and the boiler. At low loads, most of the flow
produced by the pump was re-circulated around the heating circuit
leaving only a small amount to return to the boiler. The boiler did
not like this.

The second paragraph ( "In the above case you might have a primary
pump………etc..") described how the system should have been set up, with
primary boiler pump and a secondary (variable temperature) pump
downstream of the mixing valve.

On a conventional 1-pump system, an automatic by-pass valve might be
connected between the pump's flow and return pipes, to maintain a
minimum flow through the boiler if TRVs are mostly shut down. It's
operated by the increase in the pump delivery pressure as the flow
rate reduces.

With the DHWS controlled by a zone valve, I guess.

Yes. You'd probably need a regulating valve in the heating return to
the boiler, which would be a straight pipe with little hydraulic
resistance. The water would otherwise by-pass the DHWS branch, which
would have a higher resistance. It could also be controlled by
another secondary pump but generally the domestic DHWS flow rate is
too small. My one's got a 3-port mid-position valve.

That sounds so reasonable. Unfortunately, none of the domestic

heating
design books I've read refer to anything other than one primary pump
plus
zone valves. Being a beginner, I don't know if I'd have the confidence
to go
for pumps instead of valves.

It (primary/secondary pumping) is very rare on UK domestic
installations, mainly because of the costs. IMM has mentioned a £250
controller; most domestic customers cringe at £50 for a replacement
heating timeswitch/on-off controller. Whether IMM's recommended
controller is applicable to this is another convoluted question, but
£250 is probably on the low side. With commercial stuff it's
tax-deductible, so they're less price-sensitive and are prepared to
pay for effective control.

You would be very fortunate to find a UK ‘heating engineer' who
understood such a system.

Also, the Americans generally have bigger houses, so it's more common
in the US. See ‘ Primary-Secondary Pumping made Easy' by Dan Holohan,
available from HeatingHelp.com. It's written for home owners, so it's
fairly free from techno-jargon. It's in US/Imperial units (gpm,
BTU/hr, degF) but it's easy to grasp.
IMM

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...

It (primary/secondary pumping) is very
rare on UK domestic installations, mainly
because of the costs. IMM has mentioned a £250
controller; most domestic customers cringe
at £50 for a replacement heating
timeswitch/on-off controller. Whether IMM's
recommended controller is applicable to
this is another convoluted question,

Oh it is, you had better believe me.

but £250 is probably on the low side.

Not really, I did also mention a £160 controller with limited weather
compensation.

The £250 "two stage switched" controller plus the room sensor, or 4 of them
if you want to average temps, would be the only extra cost when using two
combi's. NO valves of any description to buy. NO tanks or cylinders. NO
pumps to buy as the boilers come with them. Just a Honeywell CM67, or
better still a Landis & Staefa equiv.

Each stage of the controller switches a combi. The 1st UFH stage a
condensing combi set to 55C and it will also modulate. The seconds stage
will also modulate, but supplies the rads. Seamless control..

Cost:

Two Biasi Riva condensing combi's can be had for just over £500 each. OK
these are at the lower end. Or more upmarket. An Ideal Icos condensing
combi for £750 and a regular non-condensing Worcester Bosch Junior for
around £560. So, for £1300 for two combi's.

The controls, let's say £320 in all.

A total of just over £1600 and then the rads and pipes on top. That is very,
very good and a top rated commercial controller thrown in.. If you want to
save on the boilers then A condensing Biasi at £500 plus a £381 regular
Biasi. that works out at: £1200 all in plus pipes. NB: I would not go for
the condensing Biasi. The regular is fine, just making a point.

With commercial stuff it's
tax-deductible, so they're less
price-sensitive and are prepared to
pay for effective control.

You would be very fortunate to find a
UK 'heating engineer' who
understood such a system.

Once understood it is quite easy. The £160 controller I mentioned is quite
easy to understand.

John Aston

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...

It (primary/secondary pumping) is very rare on UK domestic
installations, mainly because of the costs.

Interestingly, having spoken to their technical departments, both Viessman
and MHS *require* the installation of low loss headers if any pumps are
installed in the heating system (other than the boiler's pump, of course)
running off their modulated boilers.

MHS supply a Strata 1 boiler. It is a re-badged version of the Eco Hometec
Micromat EC. The Eco Hometec literature shows a Y-plan zone valve
installation with a supplementary pump in the radiator circuit. The MHS
literature shows almost the same arrangement as an example of an incorrect
installation!

(For flow control, Viessman Vitodens can be connected to a sensor that
monitors the header temperature. The Strata 1 just monitors the temperature
within the boiler.)

I think that I've got enough information to come up with a draft heating
system design. I'll probably post it on the web and invite comments. This
newsgroup has been an excellent source of help in that respect.

John Aston

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Aston" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks.

Actually, cost isn't a major factor. Not because I'm loaded but because my
renovated house will be a family home for a considerable time so I've got
time to "enjoy" the capital outlay. Something that is clear for me to
understand is one of the key requirements for the new heating system.

Unfortunately, I'm a plumbing novice with that very dangerous thing: a
little bit of knowledge.

IMM

"John Aston" wrote in message

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...

[...]

With condensing boilers headers reduce efficiency. With a condenser you
don't want very hot water feeding right back into the return. This raises
the return temp which reduces efficiency. You want the return temp as low as
possible. Best use a heat bank or thermal store, which is a great neutral
point, and have the boiler heat that directly. For most of the re-heat the
return temp will be low.

All headers are neutral points for circuiots to tee into. A heat bank gives
you that and a DHW store with instant high pressure DHW. You only need cheap
simple boilers with a heat bank, one of its selling points.

I'll try and come up with some alternative systems.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:39:49 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"John Aston" wrote in message

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Not if you are using a condensing boiler with wide modulating range
such as the MAN Micromat or Viessmann.

Putting a heat bank in the middle will do one of two things.

a) If the heatbank is used for HW as well as CH, and there is a
thermostat arrangement on the heatbank, the effect will be to prevent
the boiler from operating at the lower end of its temperature range
and will cause it to cycle on and off.

The whole point of this type of boiler is to have high output for a
short period to heat the heatbank/cylinder quickly for DHW use, and to
drive the heating system directly to allow modulation down to low
output levels.

or

b) If the heatbank is used solely for CH and no thermostat, it will
effectively create an equilibrium situation with heat in and out and
no real advantage over a much smaller header.

It is far more efficient to run this type of boiler continuously at
lower output than in bursts of high output.

All headers are neutral points for circuiots to tee into. A heat bank gives
you that and a DHW store with instant high pressure DHW. You only need cheap
simple boilers with a heat bank, one of its selling points.

I'll try and come up with some alternative systems.

This could be entertaining.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Aston

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

With condensing boilers headers reduce efficiency. With a condenser you
don't want very hot water feeding right back into the return. This raises
the return temp which reduces efficiency. You want the return temp as low

as
possible.

snip

Won't a modulating boiler adjust its flow temperature and velocity to reduce
the return temperature though? I thought that that was the purpose of the
modulating control.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:39:49 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

With condensing boilers headers
reduce efficiency. With a condenser
you don't want very hot water feeding
right back into the return. This raises
the return temp which reduces efficiency.
You want the return temp as low as
possible. Best use a heat bank or
thermal store, which is a great neutral
point, and have the boiler heat that directly.
For most of the re-heat the return temp will be low.

Here is Andy still attempting to justify an expensive purchase. He goes
on....

Not if you are using a condensing boiler
with wide modulating range
such as the MAN Micromat or Viessmann.

All that does is lower the flow temp in the header. If a secondary circuit
kicks in it may require hotter water than what is in the header, then the
boiler has to react, which can take far too much time. Fan coil units
require high temps of around 80C pretty instantly, so having a header stting
there at 40C is no use. Also the primary and secondary pumping has to be
setup correctly. If not you may have problems.

Putting a heat bank in the middle
will do one of two things.

a) If the heatbank is used for HW as well as CH, and there is a
thermostat arrangement on the heatbank, the effect will be to prevent
the boiler from operating at the lower end of its temperature range
and will cause it to cycle on and off.

Not if anti-cycle stats are fitted. Simple thing to do. Putting a MAN
boiler on a heat bank will do the same thing as if it is on a header, except
the return temp will be cooler most of run time as speaders are inside the
heat bank to ensure hot water goes to the top and stays there, preventing
mixing of the store, and the heat bank heats up top down. It is possible
for the water at the top of the heat bank to be 80C and 20C at the bottom.
Which is not the case with a header which sends heated water from the boiler
directly back to the return.

In commercial systems cylinders are used as neutral points to replace
headers, similar to Dunsley neutralisers and heat banks. The Germans tend to
use these. Cylinder neutral points, similar to a heat bank, are better when
using condensing boilers. The cylinder water is stratified with say hot
water for fan coil units and DHW at the top and cooler water at the bottom
for background rads circuits controlled weather compensators. When the
boiler reheats the neutral point cylinder, the return temp is invariable
lower than using a header promoting efficiency. Also not having to set the
primary and secondary pumps up is great bonus.

In is usually better to divide and rule and have dedicated boilers heating
to the temperatures of the various circuits. One boiler heating only high
temp DHW, one high efficiency condensing boiler only heating a low temp
background rad circuit etc. Boilers can then be matched for maximum
efficiency. I have seen one demostic boioer heat only the fan coilo battery
on an air handfling unit. There misy have been 20 or 30 of these in the
place. They had a cuborad of spare for the bopioer type and they were never
down for long if part were replaced. No expensive mixing valves were used
and large harders and long large expensive pipes. Quite cheap to do they
told me. The problem is redundancy in commercial systems, that is why
boilers are sequenced together. If open drops out the other(s) will cope.
Then headers, neutral points, mixing circuits etc, are incorporated to make
it all work.

Many commercial boilers are frames with smaller boilers on the frame, called
modules, each with its own burner. The size of the whole "boiler" can be
specified by adding modules. Having many modules reduces large boiler
cycling as smaller burners (boilers in effect) are brought in to match the
heat demand. If one module drops out the others are still operative. The
"modules" are switched in to demand by a controller similar in operation to
the two stage Landis & Staefa one I mentioned, only it will have stages to
suit the number of burners.

So, dividing and ruling when boilers are cheap enough makes a lot of sense
in a small comercial large domestic setup.

The whole point of this type of
boiler is to have high output for a
short period to heat the heatbank/cylinder
quickly for DHW use, and to
drive the heating system directly to
allow modulation down to low
output levels.

Is it? Look at what I write and take note. Nah, don't bother.

or

b) If the heatbank is used solely for CH

No DHW?

and no thermostat, it will
effectively create an equilibrium
situation with heat in and out and
no real advantage over a much smaller header.

There is. The return is cooler most of the run time compared to a straight
through header.

It is far more efficient to run this type of boiler continuously at
lower output than in bursts of high output.

So, you use a cheaper and simpler boiler. The MAN type of boilers will be
more efficient on a heat bank rather than on a straight through header,
because of the top down heating of the heat bank.

Most commercial system are still non-condensing and use headers. Where
commerical condesners are used they still use the same temps as in non
condensers, and gain about 5-7% because of the larger heat exchangers.
Headers are commercial and are intended as:

1. A neutral point where different circuits may take off hot water to suit.
The different circuits then mix to lower temps to suit.
2. Headers also are used to keep the return temp up on the boiler to
prevent back end condensation.
3. A central point for all circuits.

All headers are neutral points for circuiots
to tee into. A heat bank gives
you that and a DHW store with instant high
pressure DHW. You only need cheap
simple boilers with a heat bank, one of its
selling points.

I'll try and come up with some alternative systems.

This could be entertaining.....

It will be and you will be educated somewhat. Imagine allowing people like
you to design a system? The thought of it.....

IMM

"John Aston" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

With condensing boilers headers reduce efficiency. With a condenser you
don't want very hot water feeding right back into the return. This

raises
the return temp which reduces efficiency. You want the return temp as

low
as
possible.

snip

Won't a modulating boiler adjust its
flow temperature and velocity to reduce
the return temperature though? I thought
that that was the purpose of the
modulating control.

Firstly there is two types of modulating control. Modulation to maintain a
flow set point, as on most combi's. If set to 70C when approaching 70C the
burner lowers to keep the heat moving out. The second is load compensation,
which senses the flow and return temps. When the temps close up it sees the
building is getting up to temp and lowers the flow temp and hence the return
temp. They are very different.

The Siemens BLC1.A controller I gave details can be set from load
compensation to weather compensation. It does it externally to the boiler
by switching with integral boiler anti-cycle control.

Velocity? Pump speed. Some do, but these are on very expensive boilers. In
some cases this may be a disadvantage as the pump when modulated down may
not reach the far points of a largish system.

John Aston

Aidan wrote in message
om...

It (primary/secondary pumping) is very rare on UK domestic
installations, mainly because of the costs.

snip

You would be very fortunate to find a UK 'heating engineer' who
understood such a system.

Also, the Americans generally have bigger houses, so it's more common
in the US. See ' Primary-Secondary Pumping made Easy' by Dan Holohan,
available from HeatingHelp.com. It's written for home owners, so it's
fairly free from techno-jargon. It's in US/Imperial units (gpm,
BTU/hr, degF) but it's easy to grasp.

If anyone else is reading this thread and wants some background information,
I came across Warmrite's "Manual Of Modern Hydronics" at
http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/156.pdf

It gives loads of examples of different boiler/heating arrangements.

IMM

"John Aston" wrote in message
.. .

Aidan wrote in message
om...

It (primary/secondary pumping) is very rare on UK domestic
installations, mainly because of the costs.

snip

You would be very fortunate to find a UK 'heating engineer' who
understood such a system.

Also, the Americans generally have bigger houses, so it's more common
in the US. See ' Primary-Secondary Pumping made Easy' by Dan Holohan,
available from HeatingHelp.com. It's written for home owners, so it's
fairly free from techno-jargon. It's in US/Imperial units (gpm,
BTU/hr, degF) but it's easy to grasp.

If anyone else is reading this thread and wants some background

information,
I came across Warmrite's "Manual Of Modern Hydronics" at
http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/156.pdf

It gives loads of examples of different boiler/heating arrangements.

Remember this USA/Canda, where things are done a little different. There is
a diagram of a UFH system taken of the fresh water of a cylinder. Potable
water running through the heat emitters. Not allowed here.

IMM

"John Aston" wrote in message
.. .

Aidan wrote in message
om...

It (primary/secondary pumping) is very rare on UK domestic
installations, mainly because of the costs.

snip

You would be very fortunate to find a UK 'heating engineer' who
understood such a system.

Also, the Americans generally have bigger houses, so it's more common
in the US. See ' Primary-Secondary Pumping made Easy' by Dan Holohan,
available from HeatingHelp.com. It's written for home owners, so it's
fairly free from techno-jargon. It's in US/Imperial units (gpm,
BTU/hr, degF) but it's easy to grasp.

If anyone else is reading this thread and wants some background

information,
I came across Warmrite's "Manual Of Modern Hydronics" at
http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/156.pdf

It gives loads of examples of different boiler/heating arrangements.

I had a look. The document is specific to UFH and the USA/Canada variantions
and heavily leans towards the makers solutions. Look at figs. 2.1, regular
boiler & 2.2, condensing boiler. Condensing biolers should not mix return
water that woudl raise its temperature. That is why a thermal store/heat
bank is the best alternative when using a condesning boiler, which is what I
have been trying to get you to understand.

The North Americans are way ahead of us in dosmestic forced air and vent, to
the point we are hardly in the race.

John Aston

"IMM" wrote in message

"John Aston" wrote in message
.. .

If anyone else is reading this thread and wants some background

information,
I came across Warmrite's "Manual Of Modern Hydronics" at
http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/156.pdf

It gives loads of examples of different boiler/heating arrangements.

I had a look. The document is specific to UFH and the USA/Canada

variantions
and heavily leans towards the makers solutions. Look at figs. 2.1,

regular
boiler & 2.2, condensing boiler. Condensing biolers should not mix return
water that woudl raise its temperature. That is why a thermal store/heat
bank is the best alternative when using a condesning boiler, which is what

have been trying to get you to understand.

Sorry if I've missed the point about a heat store.

I've spoken to technical engineers at Keston, Viessman, MAN Heiztechnik and
Geminox, and they have all recommended that a low loss header should be used
for my application. It's difficult to argue against that weight of opinion.;

IMM

"John Aston" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

"John Aston" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

These people mainly deal with commercial applications, where headers are the
norm. You intend to use UFH, contact the UFH people and just about everyone
of them will say use a thermal store. So their weight of opinion would be
greater, as there are more of them. Using a header will lower a condensing
boilers efficiency, that is certain. Ask the boiler people about
connecting the boiler to an integrated thermal store with the UFH and rads
taken off the store. Not one will say no.

You also have to take into account that the tech depts have people who read
from crib sheets. Did you ask them about a header specifically? Or did you
ask them about running a UFH and rad system off the boiler?

Look at this:
http://www.heatweb.com/techtips/unde...orheating.html

Then scroll down to Twin Zone Thermal Store Injection System

A dedicated UFH thermal store shown with the old fashioned type of waether
compensation of stats. Cheap and effective. Of course an outsise weather
compensator can be fitted to maintain the UFH section to what the outside
temp dictates.

Rads can be taken off the top of the store.

Also go to:
http://www.heatweb.com
scroll down to underfloor heating and see the solutions to underfloor
heating.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:19:34 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

These people mainly deal with commercial applications, where headers are the
norm. You intend to use UFH, contact the UFH people and just about everyone
of them will say use a thermal store. So their weight of opinion would be
greater, as there are more of them.

That is not a sound argument.

[...]

There are quite a number of muddled points on their underfloor heating
page.

For example, they say:

"Reducing cycling in itself will improve efficiency, however gains are
also to be achieved by keeping return temperatures to the boiler low
at all times. Without a thermal store this is very difficult to
achieve, unless the boiler has built in electronics. "

This is erroneous. If you have a modulating, condensing boiler,
which most are nowadays, they have temperature sensing and
electroniics to optimise behaviour.

Obviously a simple boiler with on/off burner control will operate more
effciently with a buffer. They don't present a convincing argument
for the case of most new boilers which modulate. Their whole "buffer
store" argment is based on the idea that the boiler will otherwise
cycle when driving the load, and this argument is flawed with a
modulating boiler.

I get the distinct impression, that as a vendor of thermal stores,
they are bending the situation to justify buying their product.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:19:34 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

These people mainly deal with commercial applications, where headers are

the
norm. You intend to use UFH, contact the UFH people and just about

everyone
of them will say use a thermal store. So their weight of opinion would

be
greater, as there are more of them.

That is not a sound argument.

It is. You have never dealt with boiler manufacturers. At times their
knowledge of systems is minimal. They after all only make a water heater,
which is the new name for a boiler. Say boiler and you fail the corgi test.
Headers with a condensing boiler, UFH and rads in a domestic system is
ludicrous. I can them suggesting that if two boilers are used, or a regular
boiler, but a header which raises the return temp is ludicrous.

I contacted Ferroli about combining the output of two combi's. They said
no. I rang their top techie, who wasn't very good at all, and he was going
on about back pressure to the heat exchanger. I said a non-return valve
would be fitted on each and one also on the main in, so it highly unlikely
this would ever occur. I told him I had seen two Ferroli's connect this way
in France. He murmured and said no. They want people to fit them as per the
instructions as they can deal with that. Any deviation and they are
screwed.

I rang Worcester Bosch about doing the same. They said yes sir, and sent a
coloured diagram on how to do it. I mentioned what Ferroli said and they
confirmed my view that there is no reason at all why any two combi's of any
make cannot have their draw-offs combined as long as non-return valves are
used and there is enough flow.

Even the makers can't agree.

[...]

That is so.

Without a thermal store this is very difficult to
achieve, unless the boiler has built in electronics. "

That is so.

This is erroneous. If you have a
modulating, condensing boiler,
which most are nowadays,

What sort of modulation? Load compensation as yours is. Few have that.
Most modulation is maintaining the boiler temp setpoint. The burner lowers
when reaching setpoint. Very different.

they have temperature sensing and
electroniics to optimise behaviour.

Only the up market expensive boilers.

Obviously a simple boiler with on/off
burner control will operate more
effciently with a buffer.

And one with flow setpoint burner modulation.

They don't present a convincing argument
for the case of most new boilers which
modulate.

They do.

Their whole "buffer store" argment is
based on the idea that the boiler will otherwise
cycle when driving the load, and this argument
is flawed with a modulating boiler.

Not so. They say that a low temperature will be maintained from a heat
bank/thermal store. This because of stratification and re-heating in one
pass of the water through the boiler. A tall heat bank that has dropped to
say 25C at the bottom and 55C at the top, and most of the centre 30C will be
reheated in "one pass" of the stores water. This is important. The boiler
will dump heat into the top of the heat bank, without mixing the stores
water, heating it up from top down. It may be 75C at the top and 25C at the
bottom. For most of the reheat the stores return temp to the boiler will be
very low and high efficiency follows. They also say once the heat bank
water starts a second pass the return temp is substantially higher.

So, the secret is:

- Have a tall thin cylinder to aid stratification.
- Controls to ensure store water is heat in only one pass through the boiler
- Stats to ensure the store is re-heated when most of water has cooled. This
also prevents boiler cycling.

I get the distinct impression, that as a vendor of thermal stores,
they are bending the situation to justify buying their product.

They are telling it as it is. Also with thermal stores/heat banks, a
cheaper simpler boiler can be purchased.

Their Twin Zone Thermal Store Injection System, is not as good as the
sectioned temperature store I described to you some time back, where a
weather compensator maintains the bottom section (UFH) of the store to the
desired temp the FUN needs.

Aidan

"John Aston" wrote in message
.. .

If anyone else is reading this thread and wants some background

information,
I came across Warmrite's "Manual Of Modern Hydronics" at
http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/156.pdf

I didn't know that was on the Heatinghelp website, thanks for that.

Remember this USA/Canda, where things are done a little different. There is
a diagram of a UFH system taken of the fresh water of a cylinder. Potable
water running through the heat emitters. Not allowed here.

The majority of US houses have a direct fired water heater. There are
companies in the US who are aggresively selling systems which use hot
water from a DHWS heater to supply UFH (e.g., Radiantec). I think that
the wording of the Warmrite manual was probably chosen to avoid any
legal action from such companies. They do say that the preferred
approach to such "dual use" systems is to separate the space heating
from those containing domestic water using a small stainless steel
heat exchanger.

This 'dual-use' system is banned in some states and there are many US
heating professionals who are vigourously opposing it's use.
IMM

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...
"John Aston" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

They also have a large section on external drive heating. Some nice UFH
layouts, but primary loops everywhere raising the return temperature, and we
are going over to full condensing boilers in April. Overall the manual is of
limited use to the UK market.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:36:44 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:19:34 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

These people mainly deal with commercial applications, where headers are

the
norm. You intend to use UFH, contact the UFH people and just about

everyone
of them will say use a thermal store. So their weight of opinion would

be
greater, as there are more of them.

That is not a sound argument.

It is. You have never dealt with boiler manufacturers.

I have actually - several - and thoroughly tested their technical
departments.

[...]

I'm not surprised. If I find an issue like this and there are signs
of disagreement or I am not convinced of the soundness of the
argument, I would probe deeper.

However, to be fair to them, what proportion of Ferroli's target
customer base is likely to combine two combis in the way you describe?
One in a thousand? It's not going to be one in ten.

[...]

Their description and justification is based on boilers running in
on/off mode between 60 and 80 degrees, and the argument is that a
heatstore is needed to smooth out that effect and keep the boiler
running for longer periods. I don't have any argument with that.

I also realise that there are different algorithms used in modulating,
condensing boilers, but the effect is still that the output is
reduced as the load requirement falls simply because the temperatures
will be maintained if that happens. It may not be the same mechanism
as load compensation, but the effect is crudely the same - the boiler
does not cycle in the same way as one with full power on/off would.

they have temperature sensing and
electroniics to optimise behaviour.

Only the up market expensive boilers.

Modulation is still based on sensing *a* temperature somewhere and
modulating on the basis of it. My point was that the argument that
a heatstore is needed to stop cycling is really not true for this
type of boiler. DPS are intimating that cycling is going to be a
big issue needing a thermal store *unless* there are some electronics
and modulation. Most condensing boilers are modulating types so they
are really trying to make a selling point out of what has become a
corner case.

Obviously a simple boiler with on/off
burner control will operate more
effciently with a buffer.

And one with flow setpoint burner modulation.

Are you saying that this form of modulation would cause the burner to
cycle on and off rather than up and down? I'd find that hard to
believe.

They don't present a convincing argument
for the case of most new boilers which
modulate.

They do.

It doesn't convince me. Once somebody does this kind of thing, then
I go through the rest of their claims with a degree of scepticism.

[...]

How can that happen? If you are taking water from the cylinder at
25 degrees and passing it through a heat exchanger that can manage a
dT of typically 20 degrees or 25 if you're lucky, then the flow
temperature can't be more than 45- 50 degrees. I assume that you are
talking about a directly heated store where the bulk water goes
through the boiler. This means that the water will need to go
several times through the boiler to reach 75 at the top.

So, the secret is:

- Have a tall thin cylinder to aid stratification.
- Controls to ensure store water is heat in only one pass through the boiler
- Stats to ensure the store is re-heated when most of water has cooled. This
also prevents boiler cycling.

If the boiler is a modulating type, what is the mechanism for it
cycling? This will only happen if the rate of heat production by the
boiler exceeds the rate of use. If the burner has modulated down and
stays lit, then it will be running in an efficient range.

I get the distinct impression, that as a vendor of thermal stores,
they are bending the situation to justify buying their product.

They are telling it as it is. Also with thermal stores/heat banks, a
cheaper simpler boiler can be purchased.

They are selling a thermal store, partly on this argument. There
are cases where a simpler non-modulating boiler may be what has to be
used (e.g. oil). However, most modern condensing boilers are at
least modulating types and this effectively knocks that argment on the
head.

The sales argument is a reasonable one as a sales pitch, and results
in the customer buying a heatstore to make a simple boiler more
efficient - revenue for DPS. What I believe not to be reasonable is
the impression given that condensing boilers *need* this unless they
are in some way sophisticated when the reality is that it's nowadays
teh exception that condensing boilers are not modulating.
While not untrue it's at least misleading.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:36:44 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:19:34 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

These people mainly deal with commercial applications, where headers

are
the
norm. You intend to use UFH, contact the UFH people and just about

everyone
of them will say use a thermal store. So their weight of opinion

would
be
greater, as there are more of them.

That is not a sound argument.

It is. You have never dealt with boiler manufacturers.

I have actually - several - and thoroughly tested their technical
departments.

Once.

[...]

Not the point. They are supposed to know their product and systems in
general. They don't.

[...]

The ouput of the boiler falls, not the temperature given to the building.

It may not be the same mechanism
as load compensation, but the effect
is crudely the same - the boiler
does not cycle in the same way as
one with full power on/off would.

You have lost it. It reduces cycling.

they have temperature sensing and
electroniics to optimise behaviour.

Only the up market expensive boilers.

Modulation is still based on sensing *a* temperature somewhere and
modulating on the basis of it. My point was that the argument that
a heatstore is needed to stop cycling is really not true for this
type of boiler.

An expensive load compensation boiler, not flow setpoint modulation.

DPS are intimating that cycling is going to be a
big issue needing a thermal store *unless* there
are some electronics and modulation.

Correct.

Most condensing boilers are modulating
types so they are really trying to make
a selling point out of what has become a
corner case.

You don't understand the various types of modulation.

With a heat bank high efficiencies can gained from a very simple cheap
condensing boiler. A great bonus.

Obviously a simple boiler with on/off
burner control will operate more
effciently with a buffer.

And one with flow setpoint burner modulation.

Are you saying that this form of modulation
would cause the burner to
cycle on and off rather than up and down?
I'd find that hard to believe.

The burner modulates down when approaching setpoint reducing, not
eliminating, cycling. A heat bank can eliminate cycling and produce high
efficiencies.

They don't present a convincing argument
for the case of most new boilers which
modulate.

They do.

It doesn't convince me.

because you don't know much.

[...]

No direct.

I assume that you are
talking about a directly heated
store where the bulk water goes
through the boiler.

Yes, and so are they.

This means that the water will need to go
several times through the boiler to reach
75 at the top.

No. One pass and it heats up top down and the heated water from the boiler
does not mix with the water already in the store.

So, the secret is:

- Have a tall thin cylinder to aid stratification.
- Controls to ensure store water is heat in only one pass through the

boiler
- Stats to ensure the store is re-heated when most of water has cooled.

This
also prevents boiler cycling.

If the boiler is a modulating type, what is the mechanism for it
cycling?

uh! ???

This will only happen if the rate of heat production by the
boiler exceeds the rate of use. If the burner has modulated down and
stays lit, then it will be running in an efficient range.

If it has load compensation control, it may drop the flow temp tom
unacceptable levels.

I get the distinct impression, that as a vendor of thermal stores,
they are bending the situation to justify buying their product.

They are telling it as it is. Also with thermal stores/heat banks, a
cheaper simpler boiler can be purchased.

They are selling a thermal store, partly
on this argument.

Only one of the benefits.

There are cases where a simpler
non-modulating boiler may be what has to be
used (e.g. oil). However, most modern
condensing boilers are at
least modulating types

Depends on what type of modulation.

and this effectively knocks that argment on the
head.

You fail to grasp.

The sales argument is a reasonable
one as a sales pitch, and results
in the customer buying a heatstore
to make a simple boiler more
efficient - revenue for DPS.

Heat banks are not big sellers, but getting better, as most plumbers fail to
understand them.

What I believe not to be reasonable is
the impression given that condensing
boilers *need* this unless they
are in some way sophisticated when the reality is that it's nowadays
teh exception that condensing boilers are not modulating.
While not untrue it's at least misleading.

Nothing misleading, you just fail to understand. That is sad.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 02:28:55 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

It is. You have never dealt with boiler manufacturers.

I have actually - several - and thoroughly tested their technical
departments.

Once.

Actually several times for myself and for others as well.

However, to be fair to them, what proportion of Ferroli's target
customer base is likely to combine two combis in the way
you describe? One in a thousand? It's not going to be one in ten.

Not the point. They are supposed to know their product and systems in
general. They don't.

Why? They are there to support the requirements of the vast majority
of their customer base. For a domestic boiler, this is going to
mainly be installers of single boilers in houses. How often do you
imagine they get questions on how to hook two of them together? Once
a year? Twice?

..

The ouput of the boiler falls, not the temperature given to the building.

If the output falls it's as a direct or indirect consequence of the
building requiring less heat and does not imply that the burner is
cycling to do it.

It may not be the same mechanism
as load compensation, but the effect
is crudely the same - the boiler
does not cycle in the same way as
one with full power on/off would.

You have lost it. It reduces cycling.

That makes no sense. If the output is reduced, it results in less
heat transfer. If the heat requirement of the load is matched by
the boiler running at lower output, why would the boiler cycle.
Your argument only holds true if the boiler output exceeds the load
requirement.

they have temperature sensing and
electroniics to optimise behaviour.

Only the up market expensive boilers.

Modulation is still based on sensing *a* temperature somewhere and
modulating on the basis of it. My point was that the argument that
a heatstore is needed to stop cycling is really not true for this
type of boiler.

An expensive load compensation boiler, not flow setpoint modulation.

The issue is that the output is reduced - the boiler modulates down,
not off.

If the monitored point is maintaining the flow temperature set point,
then inevitably if the load reduces, the burn rate will be reduced to
match it - otherwise why have modulation?

DPS are intimating that cycling is going to be a
big issue needing a thermal store *unless* there
are some electronics and modulation.

Correct.

Most condensing boilers are modulating
types so they are really trying to make
a selling point out of what has become a
corner case.

You don't understand the various types of modulation.

Actually I do.

However the point is that the power output is being reduced.
Their argument and yours is based on an assumption of cycling.
Where does this arise unless the heat required is less than the
minimum that the boiler can do?

With a heat bank high efficiencies can gained from a very simple cheap
condensing boiler. A great bonus.

It becomes an equation between

a) simple boiler (and there seem to be few new ones coming onto the
market like that) plus heatbank, or

b) boiler with modulation.

The only bonus in a) for the customer is if he has to use a simple
boiler for other reasons or is the cost of a) is less than b)

Obviously a simple boiler with on/off
burner control will operate more
effciently with a buffer.

And one with flow setpoint burner modulation.

Are you saying that this form of modulation
would cause the burner to
cycle on and off rather than up and down?
I'd find that hard to believe.

The burner modulates down when approaching setpoint reducing, not
eliminating, cycling.

If the burner is turned down and not off, then cycling hasn't
happened.

A heat bank can eliminate cycling and produce high
efficiencies.

If the boiler would otherwise cycle. Where is the mechanism for that
if the boiler modulates down such that it is producing heat at the
rate required by the load?

They don't present a convincing argument
for the case of most new boilers which
modulate.

They do.

It doesn't convince me.

because you don't know much.

So you believe that this can help a modulating boiler that is not
cycling off because its output matches the load?

How can that happen? If you are taking water from the cylinder at
25 degrees and passing it through a heat exchanger

No direct.

I assume that you are
talking about a directly heated
store where the bulk water goes
through the boiler.

Yes, and so are they.

This means that the water will need to go
several times through the boiler to reach
75 at the top.

No. One pass and it heats up top down and the heated water from the boiler
does not mix with the water already in the store.

How can that happen? You can't have water entering the heat
exchanger at 25 degrees from the bottom of the store, going through a
heat exchanger with dT of 25 degrees max and delivering water into the
top of the store at 75 degrees. That can only happen when the
return temperature reaches 50 and that won't be in one pass.

So, the secret is:

- Have a tall thin cylinder to aid stratification.
- Controls to ensure store water is heat in only one pass through the

boiler
- Stats to ensure the store is re-heated when most of water has cooled.

This
also prevents boiler cycling.

If the boiler is a modulating type, what is the mechanism for it
cycling?

uh! ???

It was a simple question. What is the reason that a modulating boiler
would cycle without the store if the production rate matches the load?

This will only happen if the rate of heat production by the
boiler exceeds the rate of use. If the burner has modulated down and
stays lit, then it will be running in an efficient range.

If it has load compensation control, it may drop the flow temp tom
unacceptable levels.

That's only an issue if you put the store there. If you are driving
the heating load of radiators directly and the UFH via a blending
valve, the issue doesn't arise. There is only a need to heat the
store to 75 degrees if it's driving radiators and they need this
temperature to give required output or if it's running a DHW exchanger
as well. If it's only driving a DHW exchanger and that is handled
by a priority arrangement and motorised valve, then the whole thing is
simple.

I get the distinct impression, that as a vendor of thermal stores,
they are bending the situation to justify buying their product.

They are telling it as it is. Also with thermal stores/heat banks, a
cheaper simpler boiler can be purchased.

They are selling a thermal store, partly
on this argument.

Only one of the benefits.

It would be on boilers that exhibit cycling. Other than that it's a
hollow argument.

There are cases where a simpler
non-modulating boiler may be what has to be
used (e.g. oil). However, most modern
condensing boilers are at
least modulating types

Depends on what type of modulation.

Why do you believe that that affects whether or not it will cycle if
driving a heating load directly and matching the requirement with
lower burn rate?

and this effectively knocks that argment on the
head.

You fail to grasp.

Then please explain. I want the mechanism by which you believe that a
boiler modulating on flow set point and running with output at or
below load requirement will cycle the burner on and off.

The sales argument is a reasonable
one as a sales pitch, and results
in the customer buying a heatstore
to make a simple boiler more
efficient - revenue for DPS.

Heat banks are not big sellers, but getting better, as most plumbers fail to
understand them.

With embellishments and claims that are stretching reality it's not
surprising.

What I believe not to be reasonable is
the impression given that condensing
boilers *need* this unless they
are in some way sophisticated when the reality is that it's nowadays
teh exception that condensing boilers are not modulating.
While not untrue it's at least misleading.

Nothing misleading, you just fail to understand. That is sad.

Then please explain the mechanisms as requested
I am specifically asking why you believe that the method of modulation
has an impact on whether a boiler will cycle when running at or below
the heat load requirement when directly connected to the load -i.e.
radiators and via a blender valve to UFH.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

John Aston wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm a plumbing novice with that very dangerous thing: a
little bit of knowledge.

You are IMM, and I claim my five pounds ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:56:21 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

John Aston wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm a plumbing novice with that very dangerous thing: a
little bit of knowledge.

You are IMM, and I claim my five pounds ;-)

Can't be. This John can write coherent sentences, spell his own name
(Wol) and almost certainly do joined up hand writing (as well as
joined up logic).

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

John Aston

"IMM" wrote in message

snip

Headers with a condensing boiler, UFH and rads in a domestic system is
ludicrous. I can them suggesting that if two boilers are used, or a

regular
boiler, but a header which raises the return temp is ludicrous.

Doesn't the design of the header and control of the water temperature inside
it mean that the return temperature is low? I found a Viessman manual on
their domestic Vitodens 200 boiler which says a bit more about this
http://tinyurl.com/6cqtt (page 35).

For my application, it seems like the options a
(a) Rely on the condensing boiler pump and zones valves if the load has
sufficiently low resistance. As soon as any external circulation pumps are
required, however, it appears that zones valves cannot be used and a means
of hydraulically separating the boiler from the rest of the circuit is
required. (Heating system suppliers give conflicting advice on this,
however.)
(b) Use a low loss header and circulation pumps in each heating zone.
(c) Use some other means of separating the boiler flow from the secondary
circulation (such as IMM's method).

All UFH suppliers provide a circuit manifold with a secondary pump on the
load side of a thermostatic mixing valve. That would seem to rule option out
(a). However, I bet that a simple zone valve system is (erroneously) used
with these manifold/pump arrangements in most UFH installations. The UFH
suppliers don't seem to specify headers or heat banks.

John Aston

"Aidan" wrote in message
om...
"John Aston" wrote in message

t...

Doesn't an automatic bypass valve stop this problem?

No. I don't think I was clear.

The first paragraph referred to a heating system with a mixing valve,
but only one pump, i.e., the way NOT to do it. The mixing valve was
between the pump and the boiler. At low loads, most of the flow
produced by the pump was re-circulated around the heating circuit
leaving only a small amount to return to the boiler. The boiler did
not like this.

Page 39 in Viessmann's Vitodens 200 manual http://tinyurl.com/6cqtt shows a
mixing valve between the pump and the boiler. With a low load, the rads
could be off and the flow from the boiler could be very low. Why would this
arrangement be acceptable without a low loss header?

John Aston

"John Aston" wrote in message

Page 39 in Viessmann's Vitodens 200 manual http://tinyurl.com/6cqtt shows

mixing valve between the pump and the boiler. With a low load, the rads
could be off and the flow from the boiler could be very low. Why would

this
arrangement be acceptable without a low loss header?

Re-reading that manual page, the design assumes that the flow though the
radiators will be greater than the flow through the UFH.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 02:28:55 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

It is. You have never dealt with boiler manufacturers.

I have actually - several - and thoroughly tested their technical
departments.

Once.

Actually several times for myself and for others as well.

You can count on one hand and have fingers to spare. On some commercial
boilers, the company I once worked for knew more about their boilers than
they did. We were maintaining them on a daily basis, they were not.

However, to be fair to them, what proportion of Ferroli's target
customer base is likely to combine two combis in the way
you describe? One in a thousand? It's not going to be one in ten.

Not the point. They are supposed to know their product and systems in
general. They don't.

Why? They are there to support the
requirements of the vast majority
of their customer base.

They are supposed to know their product and systems in general, they do not.

For a domestic boiler, this is going to
mainly be installers of single boilers in houses.
How often do you imagine they get questions
on how to hook two of them together? Once
a year? Twice?

Probably more than you think. Not the point, they are supposed to know
their product and systems in general, they do not.

The ouput of the boiler falls, not the temperature given to the building.

If the output falls it's as a direct or
indirect consequence of the
building requiring less heat and
does not imply that the burner is
cycling to do it.

But will cycle and sooner than load compensation.

[...]

I recently fitted a W-B Greenstar heating boiler coupled to a heat bank. It
modulates on flow setpoint. Fine for a heat bank. More expensive load
compensation would lower the flow temp. Not what I want.

If the monitored point is maintaining the flow temperature set point,
then inevitably if the load reduces, the burn rate will be reduced to
match it - otherwise why have modulation?

They all eventually cyclcle. With aheat bank, correctly wired, they do NOT.

DPS are intimating that cycling is going to be a
big issue needing a thermal store *unless* there
are some electronics and modulation.

Correct.

Most condensing boilers are modulating
types so they are really trying to make
a selling point out of what has become a
corner case.

You don't understand the various types of modulation.

Actually I do.

You don't.

However the point is that the power output is being reduced.
Their argument and yours is based on an assumption of cycling.
Where does this arise unless the heat required is less than the
minimum that the boiler can do?

Cycling will occur.

With a heat bank high efficiencies can
gained from a very simple cheap
condensing boiler. A great bonus.

It becomes an equation between

a) simple boiler (and there seem to be few new ones coming onto the
market like that)

I just mentioned one. I can name a few more too.

plus heatbank, or

b) boiler with modulation.

The only bonus in a) for the customer is if he has to use a simple
boiler for other reasons or is the cost of a) is less than b)

A heat bank plus simple boiler is cheaper than an expensive load
compensation model plus a heat bank or unvented cylinder.

AND... the heat bank creates a brilliant

- buffer-store
- neutral-point
- anti-boiler-cycle
- instant mains pressure hot water
- all the benefits of using plate heat exchanger, etc,etc.
- no expensive high tech boiler to expensively go wrong.

Nothing wrong with high tech boilers when the need dictates, but why bother
when you can get the same plus more and a simple cheaper more reliable
boiler.

NO contest.

snip babble about attempting to justify an expensive purchase

IMM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
John Aston wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm a plumbing novice with that very dangerous thing: a
little bit of knowledge.

You are IMM, and I claim my five pounds ;-)

And they let him near a keyboard.

Qu: Shower Pumps Potsie UK diy 6 April 11th 06 12:39 PM
Showers, pumps and hot water systems Mark Webb UK diy 0 August 18th 03 11:35 AM