DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   2 wire thermostat (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/75872-2-wire-thermostat.html)

manxman November 6th 04 01:17 PM

2 wire thermostat

I'M just about to install a new thermostat unfornatley i have
forgotten which wire goes were does the red wire go in to No1 and the
Black wire into No 3 or No 2
thanks

Andrew Gabriel November 6th 04 02:08 PM

In article ,
(manxman) writes:
I'M just about to install a new thermostat unfornatley i have
forgotten which wire goes were does the red wire go in to No1 and the
Black wire into No 3 or No 2

There will be a picture inside or with the new thermostat.
If you just have a 2-wire connection, then the neutral
terminal on the thermostat isn't used (if it has one).
Strictly, the black wire should have a piece of red sleeving
pushed onto it as it's a switched live (although you'll
almost never see this done).

--
Andrew Gabriel

BigWallop November 6th 04 02:32 PM

"manxman" wrote in message
om...
I'M just about to install a new thermostat unfornatley i have
forgotten which wire goes were does the red wire go in to No1 and the
Black wire into No 3 or No 2
thanks

It depends whether your heating system takes Normally Open or Normally
Closed control. Check that first.

---

Doctor D November 6th 04 02:37 PM

"manxman" wrote in message
om...
I'M just about to install a new thermostat unfornatley i have
forgotten which wire goes were does the red wire go in to No1 and the
Black wire into No 3 or No 2
thanks

If it's new it should have instructions. The red/black shouldn't matter as
it's just a switch, but you will need to be sure of using the correct two
terminals.
I've just fitted a Horstmann DRT2 which stipulated that it depended on the
type of heating load you were breaking whether you were using NC or NO for
load. Red (feed) always had to go to COM on mine.

---

pauld November 29th 04 01:00 PM

Doctor D - I am trying to replace a Drayton RTS1 with a Horstmann DRT2. The Drayton has 4 cables going to it, a neutral, a live, an earth & a call for heat - which I presume is the thermostat switch. The Horstmann only shows 2 connections to be used, the NO & the COM with the neutral going straight to the heater - help please. Where do I put the neutral & does the live just go to the COM with the 'call for heat' cable going to the NO??