nick smith

Default ? Oil for cable conduit pull through?

I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a little on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Thanks,

Nick

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
nick smith wrote:
I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a
little on the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit
is that grey flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent
(as it came from there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I
think like a thin silicon grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey, but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

Other thing might be a medical lubricant safe on latex etc gloves?
Probably more expensive, though.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
BigWallop

"nick smith" wrote in message
I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a

little on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin

silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Thanks,

Nick

A smear of margarine or washing-up liquid will do just as well. Not too
much though, just a little on the leading end for about six inches, should
work OK.

Wanderer

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:51:40 GMT, nick smith wrote:

I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a little on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

I've seen cable jointers using Swarfega to get pvc-sheathed concentric
service cable through service ducting, if that's any help.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Lurch

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:51:40 GMT, "nick smith"
strung together this:

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Washing up liquid or squirty soap. (Probably be someone along in a
minute to tell us of the scientific reasons why you shouldn't do
this).
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Colin Wilson

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Talc - probably :-}

What sort of load are you pulling from the other end of the cable - have
you allowed for changes to the rating of the cable given the "tight"
nature of the conduit (unless its only a short run) ?

Do you intend to use the conduit and T&E in a "flexible" environment,
where the cable might need to move with an appliance etc ?

Cicero

"nick smith" wrote in message
I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a

little on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin

silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Thanks,

Nick

=============
The lubricant you're thinking about is probably tallow. Buy it at:
www.cromwell.co.uk

Cic.

Don Spumey

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
nick smith wrote:
I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a
little on the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the
conduit is that grey flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the
continent (as it came from there) and apparently there is a yellow
lubricant I think like a thin silicon grease that eases its way
through the conduit. I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey,
but a little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

Other thing might be a medical lubricant safe on latex etc gloves?
Probably more expensive, though.

I've always used KY Gel in these tight situations grin

Don.

---

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

Other thing might be a medical lubricant safe on latex etc gloves?
Probably more expensive, though.

KY or something similar? But don't buy in in a chemist - go to a "country
store" (eg. Mole Valley Farmers) and get some cow lube by the litre,
complete with retractable applicator tube...

Gordon
:::Jerry::::

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Talc - probably :-}

No, AIUI talc or French chalk use to be used with the old cotton rubber
cable (i.e. single core cable for conduit installation), I've certainly come
across chalk residue in old installation in the past whilst replacing (many
years ago) cotton covered with PVC cable.

I can't what used to be suggested for PVC but it wasn't chalk.

raden

In message , nick smith
writes
I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a little on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Why not use KY Jelly ?

- should be safe on plastics and rubber

.... and guarantee satisfaction

--
geoff
Richard Sterry

"nick smith" wrote in message
I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a little
on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin
silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

I am sure you will get some somewhat, er, interesting replies to this!

I was faced with an almost identical problem recently, when I had to pull a
couple of grey twin-and-earth mains cables plus three 4-core alarm cables
through a long length of flexible conduit. The solution I used, one that has
worked for me many times before, is to squirt Mister Sheen or some similar
silicone-based cleaner/polish on the cables, and then give them a quick
wipe. Works a treat, but I don't recommend it for bedroom activities!

Rick

fred

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
nick smith wrote:
I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a
little on the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit
is that grey flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent
(as it came from there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I
think like a thin silicon grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey, but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3 pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Lurch

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:48:04 -0000, "Richard Sterry"
strung together this:

I had to pull a
couple of grey twin-and-earth mains cables plus three 4-core alarm cables
through a long length of flexible conduit.

Oh dear oh dear, that's a failure for a start.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Eiron

raden wrote:
In message , nick smith
writes

I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a
little on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin
silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Why not use KY Jelly ?

- should be safe on plastics and rubber

... and guarantee satisfaction.

Try http://www.micro90.net for a free sample of P-80 THIX
rubber lubricant. You can't buy it at a chemist's but a free
bottle goes a long way.

--
Eiron.

nick smith

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Talc - probably :-}

What sort of load are you pulling from the other end of the cable - have
you allowed for changes to the rating of the cable given the "tight"
nature of the conduit (unless its only a short run) ?

Do you intend to use the conduit and T&E in a "flexible" environment,
where the cable might need to move with an appliance etc ?

Yes - load is about 300 watts and the cable is 1.5mm twin and earth, so I think
there is enough margin of safety there.... I could use 1.0mm but 1.5mm is what
I have so I am using it.

No - its a fixed environment - twin and earth is not intended for a flexible
environment as the copper will work harden and fracture.

Nick

nick smith

I've always used KY Gel in these tight situations grin

Don.

I used it all up on the first run - now eyeing up the washing up liquid... if I
can find it...
I last saw it on the bedside table I think, by the batteries...

Nick

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
fred wrote:
Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey, but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3 pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

I use them lots - nothing to beat them. Difficult to get the selection of
colours that were once available.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
fred wrote:
Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey, but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3 pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

Err ... excuse me, the correct term is "fanny stretcher"

--
geoff
BigWallop

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:51:40 GMT, "nick smith"
strung together this:

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

Washing up liquid or squirty soap. (Probably be someone along in a
minute to tell us of the scientific reasons why you shouldn't do
this).

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

The only scientific reason I can think of not to use squirty soap is that
it's expensive. :-)) Washing-up liquid is cheaper.

Andy Hall

fred wrote:
Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey, but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3 pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

Err ... excuse me, the correct term is "fanny stretcher"

Virgin Urgers or Honeymoon (as opposed to Hellerman) Pliers

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

nick smith wrote:

I need to pull some cable through a flexi plastic conduit which is a little on
the tight side - the cable is twin and earth and the conduit is that grey
flexi, convoluted stuff frequently seen on the continent (as it came from
there) and apparently there is a yellow lubricant I think like a thin silicon
grease that eases its way through the conduit.
I haven't got the yellow grease,....

so the question is.... is there a suitable everyday UK alternative ?

The stuff you want is Yellow 77 Pulling Lubricant:-

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...5Fid=TL0059066

Having said that it is always simpler to run singles through conduit
rather than T&E. If needs be then strip of the outer sheath of the T&E.

--
Cheers,

John.

BigWallop

news

fred wrote:
Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves

onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey,

but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3

pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

Err ... excuse me, the correct term is "fanny stretcher"

Virgin Urgers or Honeymoon (as opposed to Hellerman) Pliers

.andy

Hymen, not Hellerman, pliers....was what I always knew them as. :-))

BigWallop

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nick smith wrote:

[...]

But then you're left with a bare copper strand as the earth though and, in
plastic conduit especially, that's not a good idea if you need a proper
earth bond at the other end.

John Rumm

BigWallop wrote:

But then you're left with a bare copper strand as the earth though and, in
plastic conduit especially, that's not a good idea if you need a proper
earth bond at the other end.

Well buy a reel of earth single then...

having said that, last time I bought earth sleaving from screwfix it
came in a 50m bundle! So you could sleave it yourself.

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM

fred wrote:
Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey,

but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3

pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

Err ... excuse me, the correct term is "fanny stretcher"

Maxie, sex on the brain again, after I thought you were a true romantic.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
fred wrote:
Hellerman sleeve oil - that's what's used to ease rubber sleeves onto
electronic cable. Electronics suppliers like RS etc. Quite pricey, but a
little goes a long way, and it keeps well.

oooooooooooo, I remember those rubber sleeves so well, and the 3 pronged
'virgin breakers' we used to apply them with.

Heh heh. I've heard it called the honeymoon tool.

I use them lots - nothing to beat them. Difficult to get the selection of
colours that were once available.

When I worked at GEC some years back, we had dustbins full of them
on the production lines. I grabbed some handfulls from our engineering
model shop when they decided to close it and chuck the contents in the
skip. Some 15 years later, I've run out of that stock and as you say,
finding anyone selling all the colours now is impossible. I now use the
dark grey ones, normally bought from Farnell.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Brian Sharrock

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
fred wrote:
[...]

All this talk of Hellerman oil, pliers and coloured sleeves ...
what mnemonic do 'they' (pc brigade) use to teach
the 'colour code' nowadays? I was taught it (by rote)
in the early sixties - can't believe the teaching method
has survived until this century.

--

Brian

Owain

"Gordon Henderson" wrote
| Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
| Other thing might be a medical lubricant safe on latex etc gloves?
| Probably more expensive, though.
| KY or something similar? But don't buy in in a chemist - go to a
| "country store" (eg. Mole Valley Farmers) and get some cow lube
| by the litre, complete with retractable applicator tube...

And watch the assistant's face as you ask "is this condom friendly" ;-)

Owain

Owain

"John Rumm" wrote
| The stuff you want is Yellow 77 Pulling Lubricant:-

Now *that* sounds a useful product ;-) Is it based on pheronomes?

Owain

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:24:29 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

Washing up liquid or squirty soap. (Probably be someone along in a
minute to tell us of the scientific reasons why you shouldn't do
this).

Cheap washing up liquid is thickened with salt.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Washing up liquid or squirty soap. (Probably be someone along in a
minute to tell us of the scientific reasons why you shouldn't do
this).

Cheap washing up liquid is thickened with salt.

wots wrong with KY gel.
nick smith

wots wrong with KY gel.

Tastes better than swarfega, , WD 40 or washing up liquid, apparently !!

Nick

Ian Stirling

Owain wrote:
"Gordon Henderson" wrote
| Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
| Other thing might be a medical lubricant safe on latex etc gloves?
| Probably more expensive, though.
| KY or something similar? But don't buy in in a chemist - go to a
| "country store" (eg. Mole Valley Farmers) and get some cow lube
| by the litre, complete with retractable applicator tube...

And watch the assistant's face as you ask "is this condom friendly" ;-)

"Do you have any flavoured ones?"

Richard Sterry

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:48:04 -0000, "Richard Sterry"
strung together this:

I had to pull a
couple of grey twin-and-earth mains cables plus three 4-core alarm cables
through a long length of flexible conduit.

Oh dear oh dear, that's a failure for a start.

Not at all. I said it was alarm cable - I did not say it was used for an
alarm! (It isn't.)

I do recall terrible problems many years ago when petrol pump signal cables
were run in the same conduit as the motor power cables, but that's another
story... :-)

Rick

Lurch

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:09:56 -0000, "Richard Sterry"
strung together this:

Not at all. I said it was alarm cable - I did not say it was used for an
alarm! (It isn't.)

Well, what are you using them for then? Doesn't sound very good to
me.....
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd