MikeS

Default New roof advise please

I have just got a quote for a new roof as the existing roof tiles are not
longer made (Belgium made tiles made in 1928 and are of unusual design) I
think they are called Contre. The roofing firm has quoted for a breathable
under felt which does away with the need for venation I have heard of
breathable felts on wood framed houses, but not used on roofs, I take it
that building regulations cover this?

MikeS

BigWallop

"MikeS" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just got a quote for a new roof as the existing roof tiles are not
longer made (Belgium made tiles made in 1928 and are of unusual design) I
think they are called Contre. The roofing firm has quoted for a breathable
under felt which does away with the need for venation I have heard of
breathable felts on wood framed houses, but not used on roofs, I take it
that building regulations cover this?

MikeS

It is the best thing to lay before fitting new tiles MikeS. The membrane is
ideal at keeping the roof space ventilated and also keeps moisture on the
correct side of the roof timbers, so it has become the normal practice when
having this type of roofing replacement done.

---

jacob

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
MikeS wrote:

I have just got a quote for a new roof as the existing roof tiles are not
longer made (Belgium made tiles made in 1928 and are of unusual design) I
think they are called Contre. The roofing firm has quoted for a breathable
under felt which does away with the need for venation I have heard of
breathable felts on wood framed houses, but not used on roofs, I take it
that building regulations cover this?

Yes.

Tyvek, Nilvent, and others. Has become the norm afaik.
cheers
Jacob
MikeS

om...
MikeS wrote:

I have just got a quote for a new roof as the existing roof tiles are
not
longer made (Belgium made tiles made in 1928 and are of unusual design)
think they are called Contre. The roofing firm has quoted for a
breathable
under felt which does away with the need for venation I have heard of
breathable felts on wood framed houses, but not used on roofs, I take
it
that building regulations cover this?

Yes.

Tyvek, Nilvent, and others. Has become the norm afaik.
cheers
Jacob

Thanks BigWallop and Jacob.
MikeS

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 06:16 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 30th 04 12:25 AM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 11:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM