Brian

Default Tree stump removal

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?
rrh

"Brian" wrote in message
s.com...
I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?

I recently had three trees removed. The biggest (9 metres high) needed a
stump grinder. Organised by the tree surgeon who did the cutting but from a
separate company, this was a huge machine towed behind a Landrover. It had a
swinging head to cut deep below ground. It was a serious piece of kit but
even so took an hour and the bill for £100 plus VAT (grinding only) seemed
fair.

The other two trees were smaller ones in the back garden where it wouldn't
have been possible to get a grinder in. Two people spent a day digging them
out. Cost including felling £280 plus VAT.

As you realise these things are seriously difficult to remove. Sounds like a
grinder is what you need. May be possible to hire and DIY.

--
RRH

To reply by email, take out insurance.

The Natural Philosopher

Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Its easy with a mini digger, harder with a pickaxe, spade and shovel..

I had one such - leylandii - and I simply built a series of bonfires on
it, removing the ash over and over. Whne it vanished below ground level
I covered it over.

Any suggestions?

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:36:51 GMT, Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

You're right! It is one of the physically most demanding jobs I've had
to do. But it is doable if you stick at it. I had a conifer in my back
garden which was cracking the drive, so it had to come down. I cut all
the branches off first, then lopped bits off from the top until I,
too, was left with a largish stump with about two feet sticking up out
of the ground.

An added problem was that the tree had grown on quite a slant early in
its life, so that the stump didn't stick straight up. Tools I bought
to remove the stump: 1 crowbar, 1 axe, 1 sledgehammer (but also used
to remove cracked drive), 1 huge drill bit (see later), all in all
about a hundred quid's worth I reckon.

Basically, you have to dig down and around the stump, cutting all
roots as you come across them (some will be as thick as your arm).
Keep going! My hole went down about 2 feet in the end. Keep on
whacking the stump with the sledgehammer, while prising it from all
sides with the crowbar.

It took me three days. I'll put some pics up later so that you can
see.

MM
chris French

In message , Mike Mitchell
writes
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:36:51 GMT, Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

You're right! It is one of the physically most demanding jobs I've had
to do. But it is doable if you stick at it.

snip

It took me three days. I'll put some pics up later so that you can
see.

I took grubbed out the remains of an old hedge last year, most of which
was easy enough (relatively speaking) There were one or two tougher
bits, in particular an old Willow stump that had been felled a few years
before, but was of course still happily regrowing. Probably about 15
inches in diameter.

It was hard work, but ok I don't think it would be in my 'very diffcult'
box, but YMMV of course. To get it out but a few hours saw the back of
it. Mostly I used the mattock (an essential tool for this sort of job,
start a little way out from the stump and gradually work your way round
and down cutting the roots as you come across them. Once you have got
down far enough you can try to move the stump to and fro slightly and
gradually work your way underneath a bit. A small hand axe and a small
saw are also useful.

At some point you will get it loose enough to start to be able to lever
it with a crowbar or stout piece of timber (I used a length of 4x2),
just keep at it then until you can get at the ones right underneath.

My problem was getting the stump out of the hole single handley.

For a single stump, I'd probably do the same again, I'd consider some
machinery if I had a few. The burning technique also works well (as
mentioned by someone else) but I needed to clear things for a fence.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Nick Brooks

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Its easy with a mini digger, harder with a pickaxe, spade and shovel..

I had one such - leylandii - and I simply built a series of bonfires on
it, removing the ash over and over. Whne it vanished below ground level
I covered it over.

Any suggestions?

If you decide to go for the bonfire method, drill a few large holes in
the stump and fill them with parafin. Allow to soak in before seting
fire to stump.

Nick Brooks
wanderer

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:36:51 GMT, Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?

I've removed two sections of well-established conifer hedge around my
place, about 8ft tall. The first time the trees were cut down and I dug
up the stumps - about 12 to 15" diameter - about a year later. It was
bl**dy hard work using typical hand tools, like a good digging spade and
fork, bushman saw and long handled pruners. It took me three days to get
six stumps out, but age ain't on my side! :-)

The second section I'd cut down and disposed of three trees, each about
15 to 18" diameter stumps, and had some tree surgeons come in to take
down the fourth and thickest tree and grind out the roots. They go down
about 18", and take out pretty much all of the stump.

Cost was £120, and it was worth every penny! I asked them to fit the
work in when they were working out my way, and I guess that helped keep
the cost down a bit

I've got some more to come down when we're ready to landscape that part
of the garden, and I won't hesitate to use tree fellers for that.
Ian Stirling

Brian wrote:
I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

I've found a hosepipe with a spray nozzle set to give a nice high
pressure jet is a useful tool.
Let's you really loosen up the soil around the roots, and mud is easier
to pull roots from than soil.
(depending of course on soil type)
Mary Fisher

Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Its easy with a mini digger, harder with a pickaxe, spade and shovel..

I had one such - leylandii - and I simply built a series of bonfires on
it, removing the ash over and over. Whne it vanished below ground level
I covered it over.

Spouse has been removing the stumps of a very mature holly (extremely hard
wood) and a 60 year old pear (beginning to rot deep down). He used a garden
fork, a small torwl because I couldn't find a big one and a hand axe. It's
taken him all afternoon but now I can plant my rhubarb :-)

The hens had a wonderful time ...

The roots will be kept and seasoned. the holly will be used to make things,
the pear for firing my earth oven.

Mary

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:36:51 GMT, Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?

Some pics of my stump removal as promised earlier. (Sorry it took so
long, but Brinkster was being a real pain this morning, so incredibly
slow.)

http://www22.brinkster.com/tykeshed/tree/index.html

MM

Richard Sterry

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:36:51 GMT, Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?

Hire a stump grinder? The council ground out the stump of a large weeping
willow which stood on the verge outside out old house - impressively
effective. They took it out to below ground level, and nature did the rest
after that.

Rick

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:29:04 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The roots will be kept and seasoned. the holly will be used to make things,
the pear for firing my earth oven.

I have a large-ish plank of holly, which I bought about 25 years ago
to make harpsichord bits from (tongues, jacks etc). I also have a
plank of pear somewhere. Don't burn it! You could sell it for lots of
munney! (I made the keyboard out of limewood.)

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:37:47 +0100, chris French
wrote:

For a single stump, I'd probably do the same again, I'd consider some
machinery if I had a few. The burning technique also works well (as
mentioned by someone else) but I needed to clear things for a fence.

No way would I risk burning a stump so close to the house and,
possibly, the gas main!

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:52:38 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Brian wrote:
I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

I've found a hosepipe with a spray nozzle set to give a nice high
pressure jet is a useful tool.
Let's you really loosen up the soil around the roots, and mud is easier
to pull roots from than soil.
(depending of course on soil type)

Ah, I tried that for a while. But in my neck of the woods the soil is
clay a few spits down and full of stones above. Also, this was last
summer when I removed my tree and the weather was exhaustingly hot for
weeks, thus the ground was like concrete. Maybe a bit longer with the
hose might have made it a bit easier though...

MM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

The roots will be kept and seasoned. the holly will be used to make

things,
the pear for firing my earth oven.

I have a large-ish plank of holly, which I bought about 25 years ago
to make harpsichord bits from (tongues, jacks etc). I also have a
plank of pear somewhere. Don't burn it! You could sell it for lots of
munney! (I made the keyboard out of limewood.)

Hey ! I was only talking about the stump and roots. The trunks and larger
branches are seasoning nicely. They'll be used to make things rather than
sold, that way (if we cared about it) they'll bring more money.

If we don't use them our cabinet maker daughter will.

We value timber. But there's some which is no good even for turning and yet
will burn to make wonderful bread and other dishes. We waste nowt. We never
buy it if we can have home-grown! I think the only timber we've bought in
the last few years has been box.

Mary

MM

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Brian wrote:
[...]

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Mary

MM

roger

chris French writes

I took grubbed out the Once you have got
down far enough you can try to move the stump to and fro slightly and
gradually work your way underneath a bit. A small hand axe and a small
saw are also useful.

And a 6' crowbar.

It's also useful - if it's a 4" to 18" dia tree - to cut it off about
8ft above ground, so that you have something to wriggle it around by -
with a car or a chain hoist for preference.

Up to about 9" dia trees, it is often possible to avoid the graft by...
a method I could explain by email if anyone has a death-wish. I was
going to post it but realised I'd be flamed.

[BTW, when the roots brought up a nice shiny black pipe... it was the
phone cable to a dozen houses. Undamaged! Absolutely no indication it
was there, in an ordinary suburban front garden.]

--
roger
delete x's to email
Ian Stirling

wrote:

For a single stump, I'd probably do the same again, I'd consider some
machinery if I had a few. The burning technique also works well (as
mentioned by someone else) but I needed to clear things for a fence.

No way would I risk burning a stump so close to the house and,
possibly, the gas main!

Then again, if the gas main is really close, all you need is a nail and
a lighter
Ian Stirling

roger wrote:
chris French writes

I took grubbed out the Once you have got
down far enough you can try to move the stump to and fro slightly and
gradually work your way underneath a bit. A small hand axe and a small
saw are also useful.

And a 6' crowbar.

It's also useful - if it's a 4" to 18" dia tree - to cut it off about
8ft above ground, so that you have something to wriggle it around by -
with a car or a chain hoist for preference.

Up to about 9" dia trees, it is often possible to avoid the graft by...
a method I could explain by email if anyone has a death-wish. I was
going to post it but realised I'd be flamed.

Go on, you know you want to.
Given that we've had the "swing from tree to tree" method of pruning
20 feet trees, can it be that more dangerous?
chris French

In message , roger
writes
chris French writes

I took grubbed out the Once you have got
down far enough you can try to move the stump to and fro slightly and
gradually work your way underneath a bit. A small hand axe and a small
saw are also useful.

And a 6' crowbar.

Yes, though I wouldn't go and buy one just for one stump.

It's also useful - if it's a 4" to 18" dia tree - to cut it off about
8ft above ground, so that you have something to wriggle it around by -
with a car or a chain hoist for preference.

Yes, that works well and is what I've done when intending to take a
stump out.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Hugh

Copper nails are your answer, or even a few bits of 15mm copper pipe.
Either bang a large quantity of nails in the stump - all over the cut
surface, or drill a few holes with a wood bit, and bang in lengths of
copper pipe.
Over the months the stump will rot and be quite easy to remove.
'A lot less bovver'

Hugh

"Brian" wrote in message
s.com...
I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?

Harry Bloomfield

Hugh explained on 03/04/2004 :
Copper nails are your answer, or even a few bits of 15mm copper pipe.
Either bang a large quantity of nails in the stump - all over the cut
surface, or drill a few holes with a wood bit, and bang in lengths of
copper pipe.
Over the months the stump will rot and be quite easy to remove.
'A lot less bovver'

Hugh

I used copper to help kill off some stumps five years ago. It has
prevented them regrowing, but it has made little diffence to the speed
of the rotting of them.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

The Natural Philosopher

Brian wrote:

I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Its easy with a mini digger, harder with a pickaxe, spade and shovel..

I had one such - leylandii - and I simply built a series of bonfires
on it, removing the ash over and over. Whne it vanished below ground
level I covered it over.

Any suggestions?

If you decide to go for the bonfire method, drill a few large holes in
the stump and fill them with parafin. Allow to soak in before seting
fire to stump.

Even better if you can get it is pitassium nitrate. Make sure you leave
your Q'ran and burhkah behind when purchasing.

Nick Brooks

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

Mary

MM

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

I wish I had a digger. But there's clay closer to Leeds ... :-)

I ws in Suffolk last Easter, it seemed to be all flint and sand ... our
grand daughters were selling flints to punters.

Mary

Mary

MM

Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:24:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I ws in Suffolk last Easter, it seemed to be all flint and sand ... our
grand daughters were selling flints to punters.

What on earth would flints be of use to anyone?!!

You know, when I was doing my garden makeover, I built a soil sifter
to sift the stones from the (little) soil in the ground (here stones
make up at least 50% of the content) and was left with a huge pile of
stones. So, what to do with them? I wondered whether I could set up a
web site, aimed at the Americans, and offer them a small "slice" of
olde England for, say, five bucks a gem, sorry, stone. Each stone
would be accompanied by a certificate of genuineness, having been dug
from the soil of an English village and washed in spring water from
the Thames. A jiffy bag would be about 50 pence, and with a
certificate printed on my LaserJet using stock from Paper Direct, I'd
make a fortune.

Instead, I thought, bugger that for a game of pixies! And used the
stones as hardcore for a garden feature.

MM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I ws in Suffolk last Easter, it seemed to be all flint and sand ... our
grand daughters were selling flints to punters.

What on earth would flints be of use to anyone?!!

I have no idea. I put that to the girls, that the visitors were walking on
the things. They replied, quite reasonably, that they searched for
interesting ones, dug them up, cleaned them and graded and priced them. then
sat in the hot sun selling them while they could be playing. They didn't
offer the option of axe and arrowheads.

I couldn't argue with that ...I can send you a charming picture if you like.
They made more than £3 each on one day.

You know, when I was doing my garden makeover, I built a soil sifter
to sift the stones from the (little) soil in the ground (here stones
make up at least 50% of the content) and was left with a huge pile of
stones. So, what to do with them? I wondered whether I could set up a
web site, aimed at the Americans, and offer them a small "slice" of
olde England for, say, five bucks a gem, sorry, stone. Each stone
would be accompanied by a certificate of genuineness, having been dug
from the soil of an English village and washed in spring water from
the Thames. A jiffy bag would be about 50 pence, and with a
certificate printed on my LaserJet using stock from Paper Direct, I'd
make a fortune.

Indeed.

Instead, I thought, bugger that for a game of pixies! And used the
stones as hardcore for a garden feature.

Well you've probably done someone else a favour, given them ideas ...

:-)

Mary

MM

Mary Fisher

"Hugh" wrote in message
Copper nails are your answer, or even a few bits of 15mm copper pipe.
Either bang a large quantity of nails in the stump - all over the cut
surface, or drill a few holes with a wood bit, and bang in lengths of
copper pipe.
Over the months the stump will rot and be quite easy to remove.
'A lot less bovver'

Hugh

You don't seem to understand that we want the ground cleared NOW! And
anyway, that method takes longer than months ...

Mary

"Brian" wrote in message
s.com...
I have recently had a *large* Conifer that was too close for comfort
removed from the front of my house; trouble is, the stump remains.

What are my options for removing it?

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

Any suggestions?

Richard Sterry

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hugh explained on 03/04/2004 :
Copper nails are your answer, or even a few bits of 15mm copper pipe.
Either bang a large quantity of nails in the stump - all over the cut
surface, or drill a few holes with a wood bit, and bang in lengths of
copper pipe.
Over the months the stump will rot and be quite easy to remove.
'A lot less bovver'

Hugh

I used copper to help kill off some stumps five years ago. It has
prevented them regrowing, but it has made little diffence to the speed
of the rotting of them.

Evergreen conifer stumps don't seem to rot very readily, unlike many
deciduous species.

Rick

Harry Bloomfield

Richard Sterry wrote on 03/04/2004 :
I used copper to help kill off some stumps five years ago. It has
prevented them regrowing, but it has made little diffence to the speed
of the rotting of them.

Evergreen conifer stumps don't seem to rot very readily, unlike many
deciduous species.

These two stumps were (are) from two rather large weeping willow.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Richard Sterry

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Richard Sterry wrote on 03/04/2004 :
I used copper to help kill off some stumps five years ago. It has
prevented them regrowing, but it has made little diffence to the speed
of the rotting of them.

Evergreen conifer stumps don't seem to rot very readily, unlike many
deciduous species.

These two stumps were (are) from two rather large weeping willow.

Yes, they rot down a treat - I got some very interesting fungae growing on
one of my stumps, if you'll pardon the expression.

Rick

chris French

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

I wish I had a digger. But there's clay closer to Leeds ... :-)

Hmm, our garden..............
--
Chris French, Leeds
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

I wish I had a digger. But there's clay closer to Leeds ... :-)

I ws in Suffolk last Easter, it seemed to be all flint and sand ... our
grand daughters were selling flints to punters.

Depends which bit really. Its all classic glacial muck..The sand got
washed out towards the coast but the clay is left stuck on the taller bits.

Mary

Mary

MM

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

Flint is amongst the toughest - and IMHO most beautiful - wall plating
ever. Brick and flint houses last forever mainly.

Makes nice cobble effect paths too, set in mortar.

Other nice wetherprropf effects are ouster shells, and I have seen a
house built of glass bottles in the US desert.

MM

Mary Fisher

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

I wish I had a digger. But there's clay closer to Leeds ... :-)

Hmm, our garden..............

You're near Meanwood Road, I think ... ?

Mary
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

I ws in Suffolk last Easter, it seemed to be all flint and sand ... our
grand daughters were selling flints to punters.

Depends which bit really. Its all classic glacial muck..The sand got
washed out towards the coast but the clay is left stuck on the taller

bits.

I don't know Suffolk. We were at West Stow.

Mary

Andrew Heggie

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:36:51 GMT, Brian wrote:

The first, obvious, option that springs to mind is to attempt to dig
it up, but given that it's around 12-14 inches in diameter, I fear
that would be VERY difficult.

This would take 1/2 hour to cut the stump out but leave the laterals
with a small stump grinder (I use a Dosko), expect a minimum charge of
GBP75+VAT if there is a local contractor.

Any suggestions?

If you can risk the burning method: drill the centre of the stump as
deep as possible and big enough to insert an old exhaust pipe loosely.
Fill hole with charcoal and light. Insert exhaust pipe and make sure
it can fall under gravity, using a small (I use a 12V LiLo inflator)
blower, attach air supply to pipe away from flames. Cover with
sacrificial fiberglass blanket. Repeat as necessary.

AJH

chris French

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

I wish I had a digger. But there's clay closer to Leeds ... :-)

Hmm, our garden..............

You're near Meanwood Road, I think ... ?

a bit further out and west - Lawnswood
--
Chris French, Leeds
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

I wish we had clay - for the earth oven!

Just drive over here with a digger darling. Suffolk is made of it.

I wish I had a digger. But there's clay closer to Leeds ... :-)

Hmm, our garden..............

You're near Meanwood Road, I think ... ?

a bit further out and west - Lawnswood

That's near enough for me to come with a bucket :-)

Mary
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mike Mitchell

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 08:07:05 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Other nice wetherprropf effects are ouster shells, and I have seen a
house built of glass bottles in the US desert.

Was that latter a protest against recycling enforcement?

MM