radiator peeling wallpaper

Old October 30th 04, 05:46 PM
lesshaste

Default radiator peeling wallpaper

I have a radiator which is now on most of the day and I have noticed
that the wallpaper directly behind it has completely split in a very bad
way. This is presumably as a direct result of the heat. I have just
bought the house so I have no idea what the previous owners did but what
is the correct solution to this?

Cheers,
Raphael
Old October 30th 04, 07:10 PM
John

"lesshaste" wrote in message
I have a radiator which is now on most of the day and I have noticed that
the wallpaper directly behind it has completely split in a very bad way.
This is presumably as a direct result of the heat. I have just bought the
house so I have no idea what the previous owners did but what is the
correct solution to this?

Cheers,
Raphael

If the radiator hadn't been removed for the papering it is more likely to
lift as it probably hadn't been stuck very well in the first place and may
not have been a continuous run from skirting to ceiling.

--

Regards

John

Old October 30th 04, 08:07 PM
John

lesshaste wrote:
I have a radiator which is now on most of the day and I have noticed
that the wallpaper directly behind it has completely split in a very
bad way. This is presumably as a direct result of the heat. I have
just bought the house so I have no idea what the previous owners did
but what is the correct solution to this?

Cheers,
Raphael

Obviously I have not seen your wall but I will bet the wallpaper was only
down partly behind the radiator(s) and not down to the skirtings. This is a
common problem if wallpapering is done the 'lazy' way. The solution is to
paper the whole area behind the radiator by either removing the radiator or
if the gap is wide enough using a radiator roller to smooth the paper behind
them when papering.

HTH

John

Old October 30th 04, 11:34 PM
Paper2002AD

I have a radiator which is now on most of the day and I have noticed
that the wallpaper directly behind it has completely split in a very
bad way. This is presumably as a direct result of the heat.

Could be the result of drying clothes on the radiator. In the past, I have
painstakingly removed a rad and papered behind, only later to have the paper
peel in the way you describe. We used to be in the habit of drying clothes
over the radiator.

Moisture plus heat = wallpaper stripper
Old October 31st 04, 10:23 AM
lesshaste

Paper2002AD wrote:
I have a radiator which is now on most of the day and I have noticed
that the wallpaper directly behind it has completely split in a very
bad way. This is presumably as a direct result of the heat.

Could be the result of drying clothes on the radiator. In the past, I have
painstakingly removed a rad and papered behind, only later to have the paper
peel in the way you describe. We used to be in the habit of drying clothes
over the radiator.

Moisture plus heat = wallpaper stripper

Thanks. That is precisely what we have done. Doh!

Not that I have anywhere else to dry my clothes... Hmmm..

Raphael

Old October 31st 04, 04:05 PM
Owain

"lesshaste" wrote
| Could be the result of drying clothes on the radiator. ...
| Moisture plus heat = wallpaper stripper
| Thanks. That is precisely what we have done. Doh!
| Not that I have anywhere else to dry my clothes... Hmmm..

Airing rails that hang on the front of radiators can be had from Argos or
the "Aladdin's Cave" type of housewares and tat shop.

Owain