mele

Default glow worm boiler leaked, water damaged the floor and kitchen units.

Hi I had a new central heating system installed a year and half ago ,
it wa serviced last thursday.
Today water was gushing out and totally ruined a wooden floor and
brand new 5k kitchen 1 year old.
The company came out and said it was a maunfactures fault at glow worm
and they will deal with it. Someone must be responsible for the
failure of the boiler and the ensuing damage.
Can I get compensation from glow worm on the damage to my kitchen? The
boiler is combi 30ci plus.
Thanks for any feedback.
logized

"mele" wrote in message
om...
Hi I had a new central heating system installed a year and half ago ,
it wa serviced last thursday.
Today water was gushing out and totally ruined a wooden floor and
brand new 5k kitchen 1 year old.
The company came out and said it was a maunfactures fault at glow worm
and they will deal with it. Someone must be responsible for the
failure of the boiler and the ensuing damage.
Can I get compensation from glow worm on the damage to my kitchen? The
boiler is combi 30ci plus.
Thanks for any feedback.

If it were me, I would want more info from the servicing company about the
"Manufacturing fault" as it did not leak until a few days after they
serviced it!.
May also be worth enquiring with your house insurance company about how to
handle the claim for damage - maybe they could deal with whoever was
responsible and save you the hassle.

Dave

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:04:27 -0700, mele wrote:

Hi I had a new central heating system installed a year and half ago ,
it wa serviced last thursday.
Today water was gushing out and totally ruined a wooden floor and
brand new 5k kitchen 1 year old.
The company came out and said it was a maunfactures fault at glow worm
and they will deal with it. Someone must be responsible for the
failure of the boiler and the ensuing damage.
Can I get compensation from glow worm on the damage to my kitchen? The
boiler is combi 30ci plus.
Thanks for any feedback.

IIRC GW only have a 12 month guarantee.
I presume this was a substantial leak to cause so much damage?
Your house insurance may cover you.
It is possible that the service company made a mistake during servicing or
they agravated a latent weakness in the boiler (?).
To put a liability claim in against the service company you would ideally
need some sort of expert opinion on what went wrong, but IANAL and could
easily be wrong.
IANAL but you could start with a Small Claims Court action on the service
company who will likely simply pass the matter to their insurers.

BTW I would not like this to ever happen to me but then I have insurance
for this case.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

mele

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message on.co.uk...
[...]

Thx for input guys , the house insurance does cover me for all the
damage so its cool in that department ( 100 excess and lose no claims
)The glow worm engineer is coming out I will try and get
information from him.

Christian McArdle

The company came out and said it was a maunfactures fault at glow worm
and they will deal with it. Someone must be responsible for the
failure of the boiler and the ensuing damage.

The whole thing sounds like a legal quagmire. After all, you don't actually
have a contract with the manufacturer, apart from their voluntary guarantee
which can exclude what it likes (and almost certainly excludes consequential
damage).

That leaves the original installer (who are responsible for supply goods
free of manufacturing defects) and the servicing company as well. Given that
you only guarantee is that they will disagree over the cause, it would be
seriously complicated to even know who to sue, let alone put together a
watertight case.

Personally, I would forget about the entire thing and hope my insurance
covers it.

Christian.