Sam

Default Worktop Fitting Recomendations Crawley/Redhill area

Could anyone recommend someone who could fit some worktops for me near
Crawley/Redhill. There are 4 lengths of around 1.5- 2 metres each, one
double sink hole, one hob hole and one mitred corner required,
together with finishing the ends. Please could you also advise me of
what a reasonable price would be for this work. Many Thanks, Des.
(remove NOSPAM)
Bob

"Sam" wrote in message
om...
Could anyone recommend someone who could fit some worktops for me near
Crawley/Redhill. There are 4 lengths of around 1.5- 2 metres each, one
double sink hole, one hob hole and one mitred corner required,
together with finishing the ends. Please could you also advise me of
what a reasonable price would be for this work. Many Thanks, Des.
(remove NOSPAM)

Oh come on! DIY!!!

I almost baulked at doing worktops myself, but it turned out to be very
straightforward with the right tools (Mitre jig from the local hire shop for
the corners, and a circular saw for the straight cuts).

I saved at least £500 - even if I'd screwed all the worktops and had to
order them again I'd still ahve been ahead.

Search the group history for some useful tips.

Bob

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:51:10 +0100, Bob wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
om...
Could anyone recommend someone who could fit some worktops for me near
Crawley/Redhill. There are 4 lengths of around 1.5- 2 metres each, one
double sink hole, one hob hole and one mitred corner required,
together with finishing the ends. Please could you also advise me of
what a reasonable price would be for this work. Many Thanks, Des.
(remove NOSPAM)

Oh come on! DIY!!!

I almost baulked at doing worktops myself, but it turned out to be very
straightforward with the right tools (Mitre jig from the local hire shop for
the corners, and a circular saw for the straight cuts).

I saved at least £500 - even if I'd screwed all the worktops and had to
order them again I'd still ahve been ahead.

Search the group history for some useful tips.

All the bits (ahem!) you need to do this is now about £150 quid I've got
mine slowly together over a few years...

Cheap 1/2" router £85
1/2" x 50mm router bit £7
Biscuit slot bit. £13
Worktop jig £30.
G-clamps say 3 at £5

Comsumables:
clamps (3 per joint) , biscuits say 10 per joint, PVA and clear silicone.

This kit will be good enough for one off use. A better worktop jig will
be £70 more and a much better router £85 more.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk

Lobster

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

Cheap 1/2" router £85
1/2" x 50mm router bit £7
Biscuit slot bit. £13
Worktop jig £30.
G-clamps say 3 at £5

Comsumables:
clamps (3 per joint) , biscuits say 10 per joint, PVA and clear silicone.

This kit will be good enough for one off use. A better worktop jig will
be £70 more and a much better router £85 more.

I'm thinking of splashing out on a worktop jig myself as it happens... but
what's the difference between one costing 30 quid and one costing 100 quid?
Isn't a jig just a jig? Why are they so expensive anyway (why don't they
cost a tenner or so?)

David

Sam

"Lobster" wrote in message ...
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

Cheap 1/2" router £85
1/2" x 50mm router bit £7
Biscuit slot bit. £13
Worktop jig £30.
G-clamps say 3 at £5

Comsumables:
clamps (3 per joint) , biscuits say 10 per joint, PVA and clear silicone.

This kit will be good enough for one off use. A better worktop jig will
be £70 more and a much better router £85 more.

I'm thinking of splashing out on a worktop jig myself as it happens... but
what's the difference between one costing 30 quid and one costing 100 quid?
Isn't a jig just a jig? Why are they so expensive anyway (why don't they
cost a tenner or so?)

David

The cost of the kit is why I am looking for someone to do the work, I
wouldn't mind having a go at it but spending £150ish for a one-off job
is a bit of a waste. Besides the Missus would kick up at more lurverly
power tools appearing :-(

So... recomendations please in Redhill/Crawley area for someone who
will do a good job for a fair price.

I also am at a loss to understand why these templates are so dear!
they are made of mdf, plastic or plywood perhaps and the dear ones
have a bit of formica like stuff on them but for £90??? I would
atleast expect machined ally for this
price!

Sam

Please reply to: if you want to get in
touch with me directly - previous email address has expired.

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:26:33 -0700, Sam wrote:

I also am at a loss to understand why these templates are so dear!
they are made of mdf, plastic or plywood perhaps and the dear ones
have a bit of formica like stuff on them but for £90??? I would
atleast expect machined ally for this
price!

The cheap one I got was from Tollstation.com (former pals and suppliers
to s/fix but probably now pals with Tollstation.com) Its MDF with a
laminate surface.
I suspect that the expensive ones are made from Tufnol (Karp) which is
much stiffer and therefore makes for a better job. The material is very
expensive.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk