mackem

Default Toilet cistern syphon/overflow

I've bought a replacement toilet bowl & cistern to replace an existing bowl
and cistern which were accidentally damaged.
New and old are the same make: Armitage and Shanks close coupled
"Charlotte".
The old cistern has a standard syphon and separate overflow fitted.
The new cistern is supplied without a separate overflow ( nor is there a
hole in the cistern to accommodate this ) and what seems to be a standard
syphon.
I contacted the supplier who said the syphon has a built-in overflow and a
separate overflow is not needed.
However, when I look at the new syphon it looks identical to the old syphon
and I cannot see how it contains an overflow mechanism.
How can I be sure that the new syphon does have a built in overflow?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tia

John

mackem wrote:
I've bought a replacement toilet bowl & cistern to replace an
existing bowl and cistern which were accidentally damaged.
New and old are the same make: Armitage and Shanks close coupled
"Charlotte".
The old cistern has a standard syphon and separate overflow fitted.
The new cistern is supplied without a separate overflow ( nor is
there a hole in the cistern to accommodate this ) and what seems to
be a standard syphon.
I contacted the supplier who said the syphon has a built-in overflow
and a separate overflow is not needed.
However, when I look at the new syphon it looks identical to the old
syphon and I cannot see how it contains an overflow mechanism.
How can I be sure that the new syphon does have a built in overflow?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tia

There is a hole in the syphon assembly, about 4 - 5" up at the front. To
check it works, fit cistern etc as normal, allow to fill and then press the
ballcock (or whatever you have) down and let it 'overfill'. You should then
notice that the water goes down into the bowl. If not FLUSH!! I think it
works on water pressure etc at a specific level, we once brought someone a
'sharing' cup back from Cyprus that worked on the same principle, when you
poured yourself a drink if you took more than your fair share it all drained
away!

HTH

John

mackem

Overfill it! and see what happens.

I haven't installed the new stuff yet as I was hoping to determine if I had
the correct parts first.

Richard Porter

On 12 Oct 2004 you wrote:

Overfill it! and see what happens.

I haven't installed the new stuff yet as I was hoping to determine if
I had the correct parts first.

If the top of the outlet pipe is below the top of the cistern and
there's a way for the water to get past/round/through the piston as
fast as it can flow in then it's going to overflow into the pan and not
onto the floor.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com