Andy Jeffries

Default Power sockets in brick shed

I currently have a fused spur from the kitchen ring (cooker is on separate
connection) to a brick shed. We currently have two fridge/freezers in
there and a tumble dryer.

I also plug power tools in and everything is fine.

What I want to know is can I replace the single socket in the shed with 4
sockets. I am not going to be using any more than I already do, it's just
for convenience (converting it to a woodworking workshop, so it would be
nice to have power sockets for my power tools, but I'll only be using one
at a time).

As it's on a fused spur I guess it would be OK as the fuse will protect
the total of the shed's usage to 13A and therefore all cables are
protected.

Am I right?

If anyone suggests running a separate ring from the consumer box please
clarify whether I NEED to do it or if it would be NEATER. The consumer
box is all the way through the kitchen and my study, so I'd rather not do
this unless I have to.

Thanks,

Andy
Christian McArdle

As it's on a fused spur I guess it would be OK as the fuse will
protect the total of the shed's usage to 13A and therefore all
cables are protected.

The quick answer is yes. A fused spur can run multiple sockets as the total
load is limited to 13A by the fuse.

The slow answer is that just having a fused spur from the kitchen in a shed
might not be a good idea. It is much better to run proper armoured cable
from a separate circuit to outbuildings. Then it is possible to have better
discrimination, seperate RCD to the house, and more reliable earthing. It is
better to run a radial than a ring in this situation.

If you don't wish to do this, and I can see why you might not, ensure that
the kitchen ring is protected by a 30mA RCD. If it isn't, replace the FCU
with one that incorporates a 30mA RCD that will protect the outside wiring.
These are widely available. Ensure that you have an IP66 style socket on the
outside of your shed to plug the lawnmower into and you might just get away
regs wise without a kitchen ring RCD claiming that the kitchen sockets are
unlikely to be used for outside equipment when a more convenient dedicated
socket is provided for this express purpose. Better to replace your kitchen
MCB with an RCBO, though.

Christian.

Andy Jeffries

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:29:38 +0000, usene wrote:
As it's on a fused spur I guess it would be OK as the fuse will protect
the total of the shed's usage to 13A and therefore all cables are
protected.

Am I right?

Yes, you can have as many sockets as you like on a fused spur.

Great.

It is RCD protected somehow is it? You should at least provide RCD
protection for the sockets where you plug in power tools.

That's for earth faults isn't it. We have a Flymo powerbreaker for the
lawnmower, but the rest of the circuit isn't protected.

I take it it would be wise protecting it with an RCD in the shed as the
power comes in?

Cheers,

Andy
Andrew McKay

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:17:55 +0100, Nigel Mercier ®
wrote:

What the OP has already goes against the regs, so I guess he can do what
he likes!

He can do what he likes regardless of the regs anyway - they are not a
legal requirement, despite the implication that they might be.

Only a fool would choose not to adopt the wiring regs though. Reason
being if the electrical work results in an unfortunate event then the
regs will tend to be used in an advisory capacity to apportion blame.
An insurance company could choose to hide behind failure to comply
with the regs as a means to avoid paying out.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Andy Jeffries wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:29:38 +0000, usene wrote:
As it's on a fused spur I guess it would be OK as the fuse will protect
the total of the shed's usage to 13A and therefore all cables are
protected.

Am I right?

Yes, you can have as many sockets as you like on a fused spur.

Great.

It is RCD protected somehow is it? You should at least provide RCD
protection for the sockets where you plug in power tools.

That's for earth faults isn't it. We have a Flymo powerbreaker for the
lawnmower, but the rest of the circuit isn't protected.

I take it it would be wise protecting it with an RCD in the shed as the
power comes in?

Well, maybe, but you say you have freezers on the circuit and you
don't want them left off while you're away if the RCD happens to trip.

--
Chris Green )

Andy Jeffries

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:38:36 +0000, usene wrote:
I take it it would be wise protecting it with an RCD in the shed as the
power comes in?

Well, maybe, but you say you have freezers on the circuit and you
don't want them left off while you're away if the RCD happens to trip.

Good point. OK, so I'll split it upon entry in to a set of power sockets
for the fridges and a set for woodworking/tumble dryer protected by an RCD.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Jeffries

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:05:14 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Yes, you can have as many sockets as you like on a fused spur.

You also need to consider the expected loading. I would say
a tumble drier and two fridge/freezers alone should be considered
somewhere near, if not at that limit. Check the rating plates.

I won't be using them all at the same time. The F/Fs will be on all the
time, but I certainly won't be using the tumble dryer at the same time as
the tools (no way I'm woodworking in there in that heat!).

Cheers,

Andy

Christian McArdle

Good point. OK, so I'll split it upon entry in to a set of power
sockets for the fridges and a set for woodworking/tumble dryer
protected by an RCD.

The problem is that the earthing might not be good enough to do this. You'll
probably have to either use an RCD to cover everything (a 100mA Type S would
do, with a 30mA instant on the "RCD" rings which will discriminate), or
upgrade the earthing arrangements. In particular, if you have any plumbing,
or structural metalwork (i.e. the roof) in the building, you should really
main bond it back to the house CU with really substantial cable. This cable
has to have no breaks or junction boxes on the way.

Christian.