Farmer Giles

Default 'Regs' advice sought

I would be grateful for some advice on the following matter of electrical
safety:
My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present position -
which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the bathroom?

The Natural Philosopher

Farmer Giles wrote:

I would be grateful for some advice on the following matter of electrical
safety:
My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present position -
which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the bathroom?

I am not sure there is a rule against it, but if I were a BCO I would
insist on its being removed.
Lee

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am not sure there is a rule against it, but if I were a BCO I would
insist on its being removed.

Our 1950s place was built with a similar arrangement, even worse the
"cupboard" "walls" are T+G.
Possibly not the most sensible design
I'd move it if the supply company didn't want to charge such an
extortionate price to do so...

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
alan

"Farmer Giles" wrote in
:

I would be grateful for some advice on the following matter of
electrical safety:
My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present
position - which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the
bathroom?

As far as I am aware it could not be in zones 0, 1, or 2. Zone 3 would be
ok if the cupboard had a suitable ingress protection rating.
troubleinstore

"alan" wrote in message
"Farmer Giles" wrote in
:

I would be grateful for some advice on the following matter of
electrical safety:
My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present
position - which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the
bathroom?

As far as I am aware it could not be in zones 0, 1, or 2. Zone 3

Please explain
--
troubleinstore
Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

View my auction items on eBay & eBid:-
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk/auction-idx.html

would be
ok if the cupboard had a suitable ingress protection rating.

G&M

Farmer Giles wrote:

I would be grateful for some advice on the following matter of

electrical
safety:
My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present

position -
which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the bathroom?

I am not sure there is a rule against it, but if I were a BCO I would
insist on its being removed.

Actually as a BCO you'd have no authority to do so until next year. But as
somebody with some common sense, I'd hope you'd at least advise the OP to
move it !!

ARWadsworth

"troubleinstore" wrote in message

"alan" wrote in message
"Farmer Giles" wrote in
:

I would be grateful for some advice on the following matter of
electrical safety:
My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present
position - which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the
bathroom?

As far as I am aware it could not be in zones 0, 1, or 2. Zone 3

Please explain

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf

should explain.

Adam

Christian McArdle

My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present

position -
which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the bathroom?

Provided the cupboard needs tools (i.e. a key or screwdriver) to open it, I
believe it is OK. Any such area in a bathroom (even under the bath if so
panelled) is considered outside the zones. The intention is to stop someone
wet from the bath or shower operating electrical switchgear. You're unlikely
to obtain the requisite tools and modify ring main circuits whilst still in
the nod. At least, if you are prone to such endeavours, the Darwin award is
likely to awarded more quickly through other equally novel means.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

My consumer unit is in a cupboard in the hall and - as part of a house
extension - I want to incorporate this area into an enlargement of the
bathroom. Would it be permissable to leave the CU in its present

position -

which would then (obviously) become a cupboard in the bathroom?

Provided the cupboard needs tools (i.e. a key or screwdriver) to open it, I
believe it is OK. Any such area in a bathroom (even under the bath if so
panelled) is considered outside the zones. The intention is to stop someone
wet from the bath or shower operating electrical switchgear. You're unlikely
to obtain the requisite tools and modify ring main circuits whilst still in
the nod. At least, if you are prone to such endeavours, the Darwin award is
likely to awarded more quickly through other equally novel means.

Christian.

I need fast and instant access to my consumer unit every time a ruddy
bulb blows and it trips a lighting ring, or more rarely the overall RCD.

Yes, sometimes in the nude, and once, rather wet as well.
Christian McArdle

I need fast and instant access to my consumer unit every time a ruddy
bulb blows and it trips a lighting ring, or more rarely the overall RCD.

Yes, sometimes in the nude, and once, rather wet as well.

You've just given me a horrible image!

You really should install RCBOs and energy saving lightbulbs. I remember in
the distant past the race to the consumer unit every half hour when a bulb
blew from my parent's house. I don't get that dubious pleasure any more.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Yes, sometimes in the nude, and once, rather wet as well.

Bulbs usually blow as they are switched on which suggests there's
someone else in the house who can reset the MCB while you stay in the
bath.

And, of course, if it blew when you were in the bath and are going to reset
it wet and nude anyway, then it is probably safer that the consumer unit is
in the bathroom, as you won't fall down the stairs in the dark whilst
locating it.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

I need fast and instant access to my consumer unit every time a ruddy
bulb blows and it trips a lighting ring, or more rarely the overall RCD.

Yes, sometimes in the nude, and once, rather wet as well.

You've just given me a horrible image!

You really should install RCBOs and energy saving lightbulbs. I remember in
the distant past the race to the consumer unit every half hour when a bulb
blew from my parent's house. I don't get that dubious pleasure any more.

Christian.

Avtually, most of teh bulbs are LV tyopes and don't blow, and domn't
trop wen they rarely do.

The killer is this ditzy lighting that She likes - candle bulbs
everywehere, one a wekk in winter goes, and 50% take out something. Take
yor pick between RCD. MCB, or the dimmer.

Now have uprated RCD and dimmers....

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

Yes, sometimes in the nude, and once, rather wet as well.

Bulbs usually blow as they are switched on which suggests there's
someone else in the house who can reset the MCB while you stay in the
bath.

And, of course, if it blew when you were in the bath and are going to reset
it wet and nude anyway, then it is probably safer that the consumer unit is
in the bathroom, as you won't fall down the stairs in the dark whilst
locating it.

Oi'll give you that one Christian :-)

Christian.