John Biddiscombe

Default The Monkeys are alright! (was : cutting a kitchen worktop)

A while ago I asked about advice on cutting a kitchen worktop. I was warned
about letting the monkeys from B&Q cut the mitred joins for me, but
fortunately, monkeys at Ikea were providing mine. I'm glad to say that the
mitred join looks smashing and they did all right. Bananas all round.

On the cutting subject...I experimented when cutting the cutouts for the
sink and hob with laminate blades for the jigsaw. I found them to be too
blunt (?), I would've spent weeks cutting through if I'd used it for the
whole lot. A normal jagged blade went through like butter - but as expected
gave a pretty poor finish on the laminate edges as they were ripped up a
bit. This didn't bother me as they will be under the sink and hob - and thus
invisible. For the ends of the breakfast bar that are visible I ended up
using a hand saw and the result is pretty good. The machined ends are
slightly straighter, but unless you were really looking, you'd never know.
So in future I'll do all visible bits with a hand saw.

cheers

JB

Tony Bryer

In article , John
Biddiscombe wrote:
On the cutting subject...I experimented when cutting the cutouts
for the sink and hob with laminate blades for the jigsaw. I found
them to be too blunt (?),

I was fitting worktops and sink at the weekend and for the sink
cutout used Bosch downward cutting blade - no problems at all.

ß Ø ® G

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:44:48 -0000, "John Biddiscombe"
wrote:

[...]

Best to cut from the wood side on top so the blades don't rip the
laminate

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz ---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

http://www.davessite.co.uk
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Lurch

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:44:48 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "John Biddiscombe"
strung together this:

[...]

You must have got cheap blades, my Makita worktop blades are fine. Or
you've got an underpowered jigsaw. Also I use a circular saw run along
a batten from the underside of the worktop for straight end cuts, not
had a problem with that method.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
John Biddiscombe

You must have got cheap blades, my Makita worktop blades are fine. Or
you've got an underpowered jigsaw. Also I use a circular saw run along

Blades were Bosch somethings and the jigsaw is a bosch 6something something.
Seems powerful enough normally.

a batten from the underside of the worktop for straight end cuts, not
had a problem with that method.

In my dreams I own a circular saw...and a workshop and a multitude of other
fun power tools &etc etc

JB

Zymurgy

(Lurch) wrote
"John Biddiscombe" strung together

A while ago I asked about advice on cutting a kitchen worktop. I was warned
about letting the monkeys from B&Q cut the mitred joins for me, but
fortunately, monkeys at Ikea were providing mine. I'm glad to say that the
mitred join looks smashing and they did all right. Bananas all round.

... For the ends of the breakfast bar that are visible I ended up
using a hand saw and the result is pretty good. The machined ends are
slightly straighter, but unless you were really looking, you'd never know.
So in future I'll do all visible bits with a hand saw.

... Also I use a circular saw run along a batten from the underside of the
worktop for straight end cuts, not had a problem with that method.

I was on a roll last weekend, after cutting the male and female parts
of the 90 degree joins on my worktop with a straight router bit in a
jig.

For the ends, I cut half way [1] through the worktop on the laminate
side by using your batten method and router, then cut through the rest
with a handsaw, carefully avoiding the routed edge of the laminate.

Result ! Perfectly smooth cross cut across the worktop.

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] Because I wasn't going to shell out on a worktop router bit at £25
plus a throw !
RichardS

"John Biddiscombe" wrote in message
. ..

You must have got cheap blades, my Makita worktop blades are fine. Or
you've got an underpowered jigsaw. Also I use a circular saw run along

Blades were Bosch somethings and the jigsaw is a bosch 6something

something.
Seems powerful enough normally.

a batten from the underside of the worktop for straight end cuts, not
had a problem with that method.

In my dreams I own a circular saw...and a workshop and a multitude of

other
fun power tools &etc etc

In the words of E. Cartman...

"you _can_ achieve your dreams"

:-)

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Lurch

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:20:53 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "RichardS"
noaccess@invalid strung together this:

"John Biddiscombe" wrote in message

You must have got cheap blades, my Makita worktop blades are fine. Or
you've got an underpowered jigsaw. Also I use a circular saw run along

Blades were Bosch somethings and the jigsaw is a bosch 6something

something.
Seems powerful enough normally.

a batten from the underside of the worktop for straight end cuts, not
had a problem with that method.

In my dreams I own a circular saw...and a workshop and a multitude of

other
fun power tools &etc etc

In the words of E. Cartman...

"you _can_ achieve your dreams"

But then you get more dreams, I can't stop! If you can plug it in and
do damage with it, I'll dream about it, then make it real!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.