Mike

Default Help needed with an Unlevel Sandstone Floor

We have recently purchased a house and when we removed the carpets we
have found out that there is a sandstone floor in the living room.

Unfortunately the sandstone floor is not very nice to look at as there
are some large cement patches in the floor as well and unfortunately
it is a bit unlevel in some areas of the room.

We would like to put new carpet back down and most importantly onto a
level floor.

Is it possible to skreed the floor with a sand/cement mix to level it
up and then put a large sheet of thick polythene on the top when its
all dried to stop moisture coming through and into the carpets.

The only other option I can think of is to have the whole sandstone
floor dug out and replaced with a floating floor but this is going to
be a pain in the bum to have done and no doubt be quite expensive.

(1) Is it OK to level the floor with Sand/Cement ?
(2) Will it cause any probs in the future with damp ?
(3) Is there another cheaper way of leveling the floor that I haven't
thought of ?

Oh I've thought of using a self leveling compound but I would have to
use loads of the stuff to level the floor in one particular area - it
isnt really an option.

Thanks for any advice re this prob - its got us stumped and we don't
have the knowledge or experience to sort it out.

Mike
Ian Stirling

Mike wrote:
We have recently purchased a house and when we removed the carpets we
have found out that there is a sandstone floor in the living room.

Unfortunately the sandstone floor is not very nice to look at as there
are some large cement patches in the floor as well and unfortunately
it is a bit unlevel in some areas of the room.

I wonder if taking a skim off the sandstone would be possible.
I don't know what tool you'd use.