Nicolas P

Default combi boiler - hot water pressure

We recently had a new bathroom fitted and now have a thermostatic
valve for the shower.
Although the shower pressure and temperature are constant (and not to
bad), we have noticed that the pressure is now lower.
The flat is fitted with a combi boiler (Ariston microGenus 23 MFFI),
and the hot water pressure at the taps has never been very high,
despite a mains water pressure which seems OK (cold water tap pressure
is quite hihg).

After checking Ariston's website, it says that our boiler has a
'D.H.W' of 9.7 l/mn. Would anyone know if by having a boiler with a
higher D.H.W (around 14 l/mn) could improve the hot water pressure and
increase the shower pressure?

Many thanks,

Nicolas

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 04:34:39 -0700, Nicolas P wrote:

We recently had a new bathroom fitted and now have a thermostatic
valve for the shower.
Although the shower pressure and temperature are constant (and not to
bad), we have noticed that the pressure is now lower.
The flat is fitted with a combi boiler (Ariston microGenus 23 MFFI),
and the hot water pressure at the taps has never been very high,
despite a mains water pressure which seems OK (cold water tap pressure
is quite hihg).

After checking Ariston's website, it says that our boiler has a
'D.H.W' of 9.7 l/mn. Would anyone know if by having a boiler with a
higher D.H.W (around 14 l/mn) could improve the hot water pressure and
increase the shower pressure?

Many thanks,

Combi boilers do come is a range of power outputs. How much water makes a
good shower is very much a matter of opinion. However a 35Kw boiler will
be noticeable better than a 23kW unit.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Ian Stirling

ski wrote:
Without a doubt it would increase the flow of water through the shower. I
find that for a mixer shower you need a minimum flow rate of 12.5l

Might an alternative to a boiler upgrade be a heat recovery device
in the shower output?

IMM

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
ski wrote:
Without a doubt it would increase the flow of water through the shower.

find that for a mixer shower you need a minimum flow rate of 12.5l

Might an alternative to a boiler upgrade be a heat recovery device
in the shower output?

Best install another combi and join the DHW outlets using check valves and a
shock arrestor downstream of the check valves. Why thrown the combi out?
It works.

Ian Stirling

ski wrote:
Without a doubt it would increase the flow of water through the shower.

find that for a mixer shower you need a minimum flow rate of 12.5l

Might an alternative to a boiler upgrade be a heat recovery device
in the shower output?

Best install another combi and join the DHW outlets using check valves and a
shock arrestor downstream of the check valves. Why thrown the combi out?
It works.

And spend money heating water, rather than heating it free...
Capitol

Ian Stirling wrote:

I'm surprised nobody does a shower tray with one integrated.

The cost of recovery would greatly exceed any savings. It's a concept as
unviable as replacing an old reliable boiler with a modern less reliable
unit. On paper the cost saving is say £100/yr, but with only a 10 year
life, it's more cost effective to keep the old unit and pay more for
fuel. (but spend more on insulation)

Regards
Capitol