DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   using creosote - legal? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/71415-re-using-creosote-legal.html)

Brian Reay September 28th 04 09:59 PM

using creosote - legal?

"dave" wrote in message
I remember reading somewhere that the use of creosote for wooden fence
preservative is now illegal. Is this true? The neighbours here are using

the
stuff to "do" their fences again - and of course tell me (again) that this

stuff
makes the wood last for years. Which is why they seem to do it every five

minute
no doubt!

Also they mix in used engine oil - which I know is horrible stuff. When it

rains
I can see the rainsdrops turn yellow as they run down the wood.

Even if it is legal, I wish they would use one of the many preservatives

that
are easily obtainable. Of course, that has the makings of a war - with me
telling them what to do to their own fence (no matter how nicely I put

it).
Maybe I could have a quiet word with some "anti-pollution agency"/environ.
agency or something?

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so I assume
that it is still legal to use it.

What is your objection? OK, smells a bit for awhile but it keeps the moggies
away. The scope for polution is minimal- in real terms how often do people
creosote their fence?

Like your neighbours, I'm totally unconvinced any of the replacement
products are any good.

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Dave Liquorice September 28th 04 11:11 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:54:19 GMT, dave wrote:

Ah, just found this...

Interesting, looks like the replacements really are crap as if you
need to seriously protect a bit of wood (sleepers, telephone poles,
harbours, waterways, even tree stakes) then you can still use it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Peter Andrews September 28th 04 11:37 PM

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

About 25 years ago I sprayed a fence with creosote using a compressor and
spray gun and then looked round to see a 'Stephen King Fog' enveloping a
neighbours washing and moving down the road - never sprayed it again!!

Sparks September 28th 04 11:56 PM

About 25 years ago I sprayed a fence with creosote using a compressor and
spray gun and then looked round to see a 'Stephen King Fog' enveloping a
neighbours washing and moving down the road - never sprayed it again!!

A mate of mine did the same thing at some time, except he then realised the
line of cars outside the house were all covered in it!!

Sparks...

Ian Stirling September 29th 04 12:25 AM

dave wrote:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:59:35 +0100, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It's carcinogenic. Please see my follow-up link.

Unless you habitually chew the fence, there is unlikely to be a measurable
risk.

Paul September 29th 04 01:03 AM

wrote:

What is your objection?

It's carcinogenic. Please see my follow-up link.

That's not a particularly accurate view, which is strongly contested.

It is true, that creosote naturally contains a minute amount of
benzo-a-pyrene, amongst other chemicals.

To put it in perspective though, cigarette smoke contains a considerably
greater proportion of it, and studies show that even for heavy smokers
most ingestion is actually dietary.

Benzo-a-pyrene is typically formed as a combustion product, and as such
finds it's way into the diet through vegetable matter that has taken it
up from the soil, and from food cooked at high temperatures. (Like your
barbecued/burnt burgers etc.)

That benzo-a-pyrene and other polycyclic aromatics have carcinogenic
tendencies is accepted, but the EU decision to declare benzo-a-pyrene
such an increased danger, was based on just one poorly conducted study
that didn't even address human epidemiology at all, and does not
correlate with other previous evidence. (It is a matter for conjecture
whether the nanny superstate just blindly accepted the results because
it also suits their anti-smoking stance.)

But back to creosote, centuries of experience have shown no evidence of
any noticeable carcinogenic risk among workers with even relatively high
occupational exposures. That is not to say it is an innocuous substance
- after all it is used as a preservative because of it's bio toxicity,
and there are good reasons for avoiding unnecessary prolonged contact
with it, and not using treated timber in inappropriate places. (The same
goes for most other effective preservatives, CCA for example.) However,
it doesn't kill wood boring insects by giving them cancer!

Even if there was a genuine case for further restricting exposure,
making criminals of ordinary folk for occasionally brushing a bit
creosote on their fences and sheds rather than addressing the safety of
those with significant levels of occupational exposure is just farcical.

--
Paul

Paul September 29th 04 01:13 AM

dave wrote:

Even if it is legal, I wish they would use one of the many preservatives that
are easily obtainable.

For 'amateur use' these days, you get 'new formula creosote' easily from
the sheds. The only difference being it's been distilled differently and
it doesn't work quite as well! Only way of telling the difference
(without chemical analysis) is by what it says on the tin. Still has a
certain odour though!

--
Paul

Paul King September 29th 04 03:00 AM

dave wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that the use of creosote for wooden fence
preservative is now illegal. Is this true? The neighbours here are
using the stuff to "do" their fences again - and of course tell me
(again) that this stuff makes the wood last for years. Which is why
they seem to do it every five minute no doubt!

Also they mix in used engine oil - which I know is horrible stuff.
When it rains I can see the rainsdrops turn yellow as they run down
the wood.

Even if it is legal, I wish they would use one of the many
preservatives that are easily obtainable. Of course, that has the
makings of a war - with me telling them what to do to their own fence
(no matter how nicely I put it). Maybe I could have a quiet word with
some "anti-pollution agency"/environ. agency or something?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone on this thread has said
about the pro's and con's of using Creosote. It's use (for your average Joe)
is now illegal and punishable by a hefty fine and/or imprisonment.

It's use (in any quantity) is only available to licencees (and D-I-Y Joe
won't get one). This is partly because of the Nanny state we live in whereby
we have to be protected from ourselves because we can no longer use common
sense. (We can't reed and we can't rite so we'll just splodge it all over
the place with little care for the environment nor our health and safety).

However, there is an almost equivalent product on the market which goes by
the name of Creosate! This *IS* legal, and is the replacement for Creosote.
Whether it preserves as well waits to be seen, but by all accounts it still
stinks to high heaven - and could (just) be the stuff your heighbours are
using. Tread carefully therefore before you shoot yourself in the foot!

Bob Mannix September 29th 04 10:12 AM

"Paul King" wrote in message
dave wrote:
[...]

Just taken delivery of "claer wood preserver" from Screwfix (see other
thread). Smells remarkably like creosote.

Quite like the smell occasionally myself. Never quite got round to using
old engine oil on a fence, I must say.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

sPoNiX September 29th 04 11:39 AM

wrote:

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so I assume
that it is still legal to use it.

It is only legal for professional use. It is totally illegal now for a
DIYer to buy, or use, creosote.

sPoniX

sPoNiX September 29th 04 11:46 AM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:37:45 GMT, dave wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that the use of creosote for wooden fence
preservative is now illegal. Is this true? The neighbours here are using the
stuff to "do" their fences again - and of course tell me (again) that this stuff
makes the wood last for years. Which is why they seem to do it every five minute
no doubt!

Also they mix in used engine oil - which I know is horrible stuff. When it rains
I can see the rainsdrops turn yellow as they run down the wood.

Even if it is legal, I wish they would use one of the many preservatives that
are easily obtainable. Of course, that has the makings of a war - with me
telling them what to do to their own fence (no matter how nicely I put it).
Maybe I could have a quiet word with some "anti-pollution agency"/environ.
agency or something?

I have started using something called "Creoseal" which seems to do an
adequate job.

It smells very slightly of creosote so suspect that it is very similar
chemical consitution and goes on in a similar way. It even comes in a
creosote style container.

http://www.creoseal.co.uk/

Are you *sure* the neigbour is using creosote and not creoseal? If
they are using creosote you'd need to check that they are not
"professional" users, ie a builder or fencing contractor.

sPoNiX

Bob Mannix September 29th 04 11:58 AM

wrote:

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so I

assume
that it is still legal to use it.

It is only legal for professional use. It is totally illegal now for a
DIYer to buy, or use, creosote.

Doesn't seem to be actually true. The regulations state the exceptions are
for industrial OR professional use and "industrial" use includes fencing.
This is further modified in that you can't use [creosote] anyway in public
parks gardens etc where frequent skin contact may be made. The word DIY
doesn't appear at all. It would appear that "fencing" (on private property)
is the only grey (or brown - sorry!) area. I guess a fence round a builder's
yard would be considered industrial (even if you did it yourself) and one
round a private garden wouldn't if it went to court.

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...3/20030721.htm

[email protected] September 29th 04 12:38 PM

wrote:

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so I assume
that it is still legal to use it.

It is only legal for professional use. It is totally illegal now for a
DIYer to buy, or use, creosote.

What the heck is 'professional use'? What professional qualifications
mean you're permitted to use 'real' creosote? I suspect that the only
qualification actually required is the need/ability to buy it in large
quantities.

--
Chris Green

Tim Mitchell September 29th 04 01:13 PM

wrote:

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so I assume
that it is still legal to use it.

It is only legal for professional use. It is totally illegal now for a
DIYer to buy, or use, creosote.

What the heck is 'professional use'? What professional qualifications
mean you're permitted to use 'real' creosote? I suspect that the only
qualification actually required is the need/ability to buy it in large
quantities.

Professional = You get paid for doing it, it's what pays your bills

This seems to be a common confusion. "Professional" says nothing about
quality or qualifications, just that it's what you do as your job.
--
Tim Mitchell

sPoNiX September 29th 04 03:46 PM

On 29 Sep 2004 10:38:56 GMT, wrote:

What the heck is 'professional use'? What professional qualifications
mean you're permitted to use 'real' creosote? I suspect that the only
qualification actually required is the need/ability to buy it in large
quantities.

When I tried to buy some I was told I'd need proof that I was a
"professional" fencing contractor.

I suspect that in effect they will supply the "trade" only.

sPoNiX

[email protected] September 29th 04 05:25 PM

Tim Mitchell wrote:
wrote:

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so I assume
that it is still legal to use it.

It is only legal for professional use. It is totally illegal now for a
DIYer to buy, or use, creosote.

What the heck is 'professional use'? What professional qualifications
mean you're permitted to use 'real' creosote? I suspect that the only
qualification actually required is the need/ability to buy it in large
quantities.

Professional = You get paid for doing it, it's what pays your bills

So just because I put creosote on fences 'for reward' I can buy it?

I guess I could pay my son to do it and then he can buy the creosote.

--
Chris Green

[email protected] September 29th 04 05:27 PM

sPoNiX wrote:
On 29 Sep 2004 10:38:56 GMT, wrote:

What the heck is 'professional use'? What professional qualifications
mean you're permitted to use 'real' creosote? I suspect that the only
qualification actually required is the need/ability to buy it in large
quantities.

When I tried to buy some I was told I'd need proof that I was a
"professional" fencing contractor.

I suspect that in effect they will supply the "trade" only.

Well I have a Ltd. company, I could order it on company headed paper.
The company's documentation allows it to do any business it fancies to
make some money so fencing could easily be included.

--
Chris Green

Tim Mitchell September 29th 04 05:53 PM

In article , writes
Tim Mitchell wrote:
In article ,
writes
wrote:

You can still buy real creosote- just not in small quantities, so
I assume
that it is still legal to use it.

It is only legal for professional use. It is totally illegal now for a
DIYer to buy, or use, creosote.

What the heck is 'professional use'? What professional qualifications
mean you're permitted to use 'real' creosote? I suspect that the only
qualification actually required is the need/ability to buy it in large
quantities.

Professional = You get paid for doing it, it's what pays your bills

So just because I put creosote on fences 'for reward' I can buy it?
I guess I could pay my son to do it and then he can buy the creosote.

I think if your business is treating fences, that makes it professional
use and you can buy it.

In reality it's just going to be another unenforceable law.
--
Tim Mitchell

Pete C September 29th 04 08:32 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:27:00 GMT, dave wrote:

Well as I am in no way qualified to discuss the chemistry or epidemiology of
this matter I defer to your superior knowledge. All was was after is a red/green
on whether this stuff was ok for them to use. (Often an impossible question to
answer of course). I guess the EC powers that be would say that your view is
also "not a particularly accurate" for some reason or other? Anyway these
neighbours also mix it with lashing of used engine oil! Several other people
have complained of sore throats which they feel is due to breathing in this
stinking smell (we live in a close). Perhaps it really isn't stinking.

Hi,

Have you talked to them about it? Maybe if you looked into some
alternatives, and mentioned to them in the nicest possible way that
the odour was unpleasant and suggested the alternatives to them, they
might stop using it.

cheers,
Pete.

sPoNiX October 15th 04 10:56 AM

On 29 Sep 2004 15:27:14 GMT, wrote:

Well I have a Ltd. company, I could order it on company headed paper.
The company's documentation allows it to do any business it fancies to
make some money so fencing could easily be included.

I don't think it's too stringently policed, as far as I can see they
just don't want "Joe Public" messing with the stuff only people who
know what they are doing and will take adequate precautions...