Rickard Dwiggery

Default Built in wardrobes - how to do?

Does anyone know of any good sources for information on how to do this?

I want to build one into an alcove by the side of a chimney - I have a
reasonable idea on how to put up the framework but I'd really like to look
at some literature on how to do it properly.

Any pointers appreciated.

Regards

Rick

Owain

"Rickard Dwiggery" wrote
| Does anyone know of any good sources for information on how to do this?
| I want to build one into an alcove by the side of a chimney - I have a
| reasonable idea on how to put up the framework but I'd really like to look
| at some literature on how to do it properly.

Wickes have a handy leaflet or two on using their range of sliding doors to
make a wardrobe.

Owain

Peter Ashby

"Rickard Dwiggery" nospam@please wrote:

Does anyone know of any good sources for information on how to do this?

I want to build one into an alcove by the side of a chimney - I have a
reasonable idea on how to put up the framework but I'd really like to look
at some literature on how to do it properly.

Any pointers appreciated.

Decide first what you want inside, a shelf unit? hanging bar? Top shelf?
easier to build that first. In mine I have a narrow shelf unit made from
mdf screwed n glued and painted white. If using two sliding doors don't
put this in the middle. Sittiing on that is a high deep shelf made from
two pieces of pine board (use angle brackets with slots for this), the
hanging bar is bog standard white, I installed blocks of wood on the
ends to make the fitting easier. Then you have to decide on the doors.
Stanley do a range of sliding ones in two widths, bottom running, they
also do various widgets for gap filling and shelf units etc. The sheds
stock these, worth a looksee, just for ideas. I have two, one mirrored
(SWMBO and the daughters like this). You can always use matching
contiboard for gap filling, with iron on edging if necessary.

A framework is easy to build and forgiving providing you use a level. A
plumb bob is useful for lining up top and bottom tracks of sliding doors
too.

The Collins Woodworking and DIY manuals are good for general techniques,
I would go to the local library for other books. An alcove is relatively
easy since you already have the ends and for shelves you can just screw
battens to the walls for support.

Peter
Dave

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
. ruk...
"Rickard Dwiggery" nospam@please wrote:

Does anyone know of any good sources for information on how to do this?

I want to build one into an alcove by the side of a chimney - I have a
reasonable idea on how to put up the framework but I'd really like to

look
at some literature on how to do it properly.

Any pointers appreciated.

Decide first what you want inside, a shelf unit? hanging bar? Top shelf?
easier to build that first. In mine I have a narrow shelf unit made from
mdf screwed n glued and painted white. If using two sliding doors don't
put this in the middle. Sittiing on that is a high deep shelf made from

[snip - plenty of good advice]

One other thing: if your alcove has an outside wall at one end then make
sure you provide plenty of ventilation and consider dry lining the outside
wall - this will prevent condensation build up and subsequent damp problems.
Trust me, I inherited a bit of a diy disaster in my last house... Easily
fixed though. :-)

Dave

Peter Ashby

Dave wrote:

[...]

Agreed, I didn't do this and the wallpaper is peeling at that end,
though only inside the wardrobe so I don't care too much and no sign of
any mould nearby. There is room for me to dry line if I want. This would
fit the other end (effectively small partition wall) which is lined
inside with white faced hardboard.

Peter

Built in Gas Hobs Pete UK diy 8 December 27th 03 03:01 PM
Built in cooker advice required [email protected] UK diy 3 November 21st 03 05:01 PM
removing built in wardrobes NC UK diy 4 August 11th 03 04:13 PM