andy_ollers

Default Bathroom Ceiling Extractor Fan

Hi there,

This is my first post to this group, so apologies if this seems a rather
basic question.....

I am renovating my (rather small) bathroom. It has a Ceiling mounted
Extractor Fan. It is as old fan with a lrage grille, and the hole in the
ceiling is:

270mm x 170mm

I want to replace this fan, but the largest size grilles I can find are
appox 150mm x 150mm. Does anyone know where I can find fans with bigger
grilles? The reason I want to cover the existing hole is because I don't
want to refit the ceiling......

Grateful for any thoughts.

Andy

Dave Jones

"andy_ollers" wrote in message
Hi there,

This is my first post to this group, so apologies if this seems a rather
basic question.....

I am renovating my (rather small) bathroom. It has a Ceiling mounted
Extractor Fan. It is as old fan with a lrage grille, and the hole in the
ceiling is:

270mm x 170mm

I want to replace this fan, but the largest size grilles I can find are
appox 150mm x 150mm. Does anyone know where I can find fans with bigger
grilles? The reason I want to cover the existing hole is because I don't
want to refit the ceiling......

Grateful for any thoughts.

Andy

Could you not remove the old fan, patch the ceiling and then drill a new
hole?

Jan Wysocki

In article , Dave Jones wrote:

"andy_ollers" wrote in message
Hi there,

This is my first post to this group, so apologies if this seems a rather
basic question.....

I am renovating my (rather small) bathroom. It has a Ceiling mounted
Extractor Fan. It is as old fan with a lrage grille, and the hole in the
ceiling is:

270mm x 170mm

I want to replace this fan, but the largest size grilles I can find are
appox 150mm x 150mm. Does anyone know where I can find fans with bigger
grilles? The reason I want to cover the existing hole is because I don't
want to refit the ceiling......

Grateful for any thoughts.

Andy

Could you not remove the old fan, patch the ceiling and then drill a new
hole?

Well I'm doing something similar this weekend.
I'm mountng the small fan housing on hardboard to cover the gap.

--
Jan
chris French

In message , Jan Wysocki
writes
In article , Dave Jones wrote:

[...]

Not sure I'd use hardboard, bit thin, it might mis-shape over time. I'd
probably just patch the hole with plaster board and mount it in that
(this assumes a plasterboard ceiling of course)

To patch the hole, fix some strips of wood around the edge of the hole -
screw through the ceiling into the wood above, then fix new bit of
plaster board in the whole, screwing into the strips of wood. Fill, skim
etc. as necessary.

However to answer the original Q directly - where have you looked? If
you go to an Electrical Trade counter they will probably have a better
selection and may have some thing more suitable (though not necessarily
the same size
--
Chris French, Leeds

HELP fitting a bathroom ceiling light! Shaun UK diy 8 June 1st 04 10:10 PM
bathroom ceiling Jim Walsh UK diy 4 April 28th 04 05:48 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Problem BIGEYE UK diy 3 March 18th 04 01:26 PM