Default Typical/average floor area to ground area ration for a house?

What's the typical ratio of floor area to total area of a house?
E.g.if my house has a total area on the ground of, say, 150 square
metres what's the actual usable floor are of one storey? Is it 10%
less, 20% less or what? I realise that it will vary significanlty
according to size of rooms, thickness of walls, etc. but there must be
a 'ball park' figure one can use to estimate the floor area.

Also, does anyone know what the area quoted as the size of French
houses is? I know it's the total area of all storeys but is it:-

The total ground area times the number of storeys (i.e.including
wall and other 'lost' space).

The total area of all 'walkable on' floors.

The area of a specified set of rooms, excluding halls, etc.

--
Chris Green
Andy Hall

On 18 Sep 2004 18:31:56 GMT, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On 18 Sep 2004 14:06:13 GMT,
wrote:

What's the typical ratio of floor area to total area of a house?
E.g.if my house has a total area on the ground of, say, 150 square
metres what's the actual usable floor are of one storey? Is it 10%
less, 20% less or what? I realise that it will vary significanlty
according to size of rooms, thickness of walls, etc. but there must be
a 'ball park' figure one can use to estimate the floor area.

Also, does anyone know what the area quoted as the size of French
houses is? I know it's the total area of all storeys but is it:-

The total ground area times the number of storeys (i.e.including
wall and other 'lost' space).

The total area of all 'walkable on' floors.

The area of a specified set of rooms, excluding halls, etc.

In France I believe that they use net areas and exclude kitchen,
bathroom and hallways.

Yes, that's vaguely what I thought and was what I meant by the third
possibility above. It means that a French house specified as, for
example, 200m2 will be considerably more than that 'on the ground'.
That's what I'm after really, trying to compare the size of our house
in the UK with the quoted floor areas of houses in France.

I can ask a French colleague who is just buying a property if you need
a definite confirmation.

That would be useful, yes please.

Here's what I got:

Q: If I remember what you said correctly - living room, dining room
and bedrooms are counted, but kitchen, bathroom,
toilets, passages and entrance halls are not. Is that correct?

A: Yes it is. Actually, when someone talks about a 3 rooms house or
apartment, only living room, dining room and bedrooms are counted.

The more important point discussed is the surface (area). in that
case, people often specify the whole surface (area) and the details of
each room, including kitchen and bathroom.

====

Q: What about a cellar if there is one? Are these
normally quoted separately?

A: the Cellar must be specified but not counted as a room and is not
included in the calculation of the whole surface.

====

Q: Also, is this done differently if the property is an apartment as
opposed to a house, and does it vary in different
parts of the country?

A: No except the fact that for a house you specify the number of
floors, the surface of the garden and of the terrace if there is one.

The unit usually considered is the price per square metre of the whole
house, and it varies according to the quality of the non cited rooms
and spaces (cellar, garden, terrace, swimming pool...)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall wrote:
[snip]