ChrisJ

Default Solar heat trap considerations

In additon to my last post regarding loft conversions and CH etc we have
a large area of south facing roof. Admitedly we will be adding a number
of Velux style windows to this but I am considering some solar water
heating as well whilst we have the option.

Are there any guidelines as to how long it takes for these systems to
pay for themselves in saved heating costs?

I've seen stats on web pages selling the systems but you get the feeling
that they are trying to sell the equipment so are going to give "best
possible" scenarios.

If I'm having a new boiler and converting the loft what steps (cheap
ones) can I take to make it easier to add solar water heating at a later
date. Is it just a case of running extra pipes from the proposed
location of the panels on the roof to the space where the boiler will be
or would a different boiler/HW tank make sense too?

Chris
gribblechips

"ChrisJ" chris@youmustbekiddingifyouthinkimusingarealaddre ss.com wrote in
message ...
[...]

Get in touch with the National Energy Foundation (www.greenenergy.org.uk).
They`ll be able to give you advice on the ins and outs of solar and other
renewables for the home and not having anything to sell will be bias free.

As regards your system, if you are considering a combi boiler make sure it
will accept pre heated water. If fitting a normal boiler, fit a "solar "
tank - generally bigger & taller to increase stratification and with two
coils in it (one for the boiler one for the panels). Pipework from the
panels runs to the tank rather than the boiler in this case.

---

Views on Potterton Suprema and Megaflow? Dave UK diy 20 November 14th 05 08:36 PM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 11:34 AM
victorian/edwardian houses or new houses? mark al UK diy 297 January 16th 04 08:56 PM
Contemplating unvented Indirect hot water upgrade vortex2 UK diy 21 December 4th 03 12:51 AM