Martin

Default washing machine "grindng" noise

i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

Ian Stirling

Martin wrote:
i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

Damaged/missing commutator segment on the motor?

Bob Mannix

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It

now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of

metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

Damaged/missing commutator segment on the motor?

At the risk of sounding obvious, the only time that this happened to me was
when a nail fell out of a pocket and went through one of the drum drain
holes and jammed there scraping on the outer drum. The same effect can be
got from coins, bra wires or other hardware. You may have to remove the seal
and look with a torch, but I would check this before dismantling more of the
machine!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Al Reynolds

"Martin" wrote in message
i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of

metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

Bra wire trapped through hole and sticking out of drum?
It's happened to every washing machine I've owned!

Al

Chris O

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message
i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It

now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of

metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

Bra wire trapped through hole and sticking out of drum?
It's happened to every washing machine I've owned!

Al

Exactly the same happened to mine. Didn't know what it was originally and
eventually the noise stopped so I ignored it but later the machine started
leaking and I found it had lodged in the pump and gradually bored a hole
through the plastic housing of the pump itself !

C.

Ian Stirling

Martin wrote:
[...]

True.
But the only time it happened to me was the above...
Martin

i never even thought about a metalic item of clothing lodged
somewhere..strange how most of us dont think of the obvious.

Since the noise started to occur all of a sudden, it could be that something
has been lodged. I'll have a scout around with a torch at the weekend.

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

Tony

Martin wrote:
i never even thought about a metalic item of clothing lodged
somewhere..strange how most of us dont think of the obvious.

Since the noise started to occur all of a sudden, it could be that
something has been lodged. I'll have a scout around with a torch at
the weekend.

Our tumble dryer started making a god awful noise one day. Had it in bits
and found the cellaphane wrapper from a pack of fags had got caught up in
the drum fan. I'd never have believed such an insignificant bit of plastic
could cause so much noise. Took a lot of fishing around to pull it out and
all was peace again.

It was only a matter of removing about a hundred screws and god knows how
many panels and other bits to get at it. And for once, I had no bits left
over when it all went back together again :-).

Tony

Bob Eager

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:31:52 UTC, "Tony" wrote:

It was only a matter of removing about a hundred screws and god knows how
many panels and other bits to get at it. And for once, I had no bits left
over when it all went back together again :-).

Was that employing the 'tip all the spare bits inside before doing up
the last panel' method? :-)

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
PoP

On 15 Mar 2004 16:48:22 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Was that employing the 'tip all the spare bits inside before doing up
the last panel' method? :-)

Shhhhh!!!!! You mustn't give away the secrets of the trade like
that!!!!

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Lurch

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:12:51 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "Martin"
strung together this:

i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

Sounds like it could be the bearings. Check for vertical play on the
drum, there shouldn't be any, or minimal at a push. If there is a fair
bit of movement the bearings need changing. If you take the belt of
you can narrow it down to 'something to do with the drum' or
'something to do with the motor'
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.