a_mcbride

Default Motorized valve problem

Had a problem with my heating for nearly 2 weeks. Had all sorts of problems getting trades
people to come . Both my wife and I have taken time off and electricians and plumbers have
failed to turn up at arranged time. Boiler by the way is a Vaillant ecomax 618E
(condenser) sealed system boiler .

To cut a long story short eventually electrician came out after siemens programmer RWB9
gave garbled message he replaced this with another unit. The programmer seemed to work and
boiler while he was there fired up. However short time after he left (I was his last job
of the day) the boiler shut down of its own accord despite the programmer calling for heat
according to the display. Noticed that when ever we used some hot water the boiler would
fire up but not pump any hw around the rads except the first one.

Phoned the plumber suggested that I suspected the motorize valve. He said electrician
would have to look first. After more failed appointments electrician eventually turned up.
Checked valve and said yes that had failed. He phoned plumber, who then arranged to come
and change valve. Plumber turns up last thing on Friday night but valve he brings is wrong
one. Plumber thinks the position of valve makes the fitting of valve he has brought
difficult (I think he means it will take him longer) Suggests he makes
temporary fix until he can replace valve with another Honeywell valve. As there is an
immersion heater for hot water he will arrange the heating to work off the room stat. Have
a look at photo here ;

http://uk.msnusers.com/motorizevalve...hoto&PhotoID=1

Everything fired up while he was there rads got warm in all rooms. Thought problems solved
till he replaces valve. Checked diaries when he will return to replace valve earliest we
can agree is next Wednesday.

However after he left on Friday evening the rads warmed up but boiler shut down after
10/15 minutes. Plumber is away for weekend.

So heating is not warming up. System will fire up when we run enough hot water for 10
minutes and pump around rads but then close down.

Couple of questions.
Do you think that once the valve is replaced that the system will work as it should or is
the problem more likely to be somewhere is (perhaps electrical?)
Can I do something to get the boiler to fire up? Has the plumber perhaps connected the
wrong wires together?
Have 5 wires coming into valve blue-white-red-black-earth
2 of the blue wires are connected to the head of the valve

Data