Frank

Default Nu-Tool codless drill won't hold its charge

I bought a cordles drill from Makro the other week. Brand name:
"Nu-Tool". Admittedly it was cheap (£20, including two hefty
batteries). But I've had other cheap Nu-Tool tools which have been
fine.

With this item, neither of the batteries seems to hold its charge.
I've put both on charge for about 15 hours, and the drill will only
run for about ten minutes before it grinds to a halt. Same applies to
both batteries.

Anyone else had the same experience with Nu-Tool cordless drills?
This one is 24Volt and the output current of the charger is 2.5 amps.

Thanks

Frank
PJO

"Frank" wrote in message

I bought a cordles drill from Makro the other week. Brand name:
"Nu-Tool". Admittedly it was cheap (£20, including two hefty
batteries). But I've had other cheap Nu-Tool tools which have been
fine.

With this item, neither of the batteries seems to hold its charge.
I've put both on charge for about 15 hours, and the drill will only
run for about ten minutes before it grinds to a halt. Same applies to
both batteries.

Anyone else had the same experience with Nu-Tool cordless drills?
This one is 24Volt and the output current of the charger is 2.5 amps.

Thanks

Frank

You have already stated the problem .... it was cheap. Buy cheap - buy
twice. Lately NuTool stuff has become crap.

Michael McNeil

"PJO" wrote in message

You have already stated the problem .... it was cheap. Buy cheap - buy
twice.

He stated the problem wasn't fishy but he didn't quite finger it. What
he aught to try is an electric eel.

Lurch

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:39:04 +0000, in uk.d-i-y The Natural
Philosopher strung together this:

NiMh cells go flat all by themselves in a few weeks.

NiMh cells are junk IMHO.

I had a fully charged NiMh cell left on the side hold its charge for 6
months.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
T i m

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:57:05 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

NiMH cells don't really like fast discharge, so are not the
best choice in all cases.

Probably not .. I know the 3000mA sub 'C' NiMH Sanyo's in my 12th
scale Yokomo MR4TC (4wd model touring car) that go from fresh charge
to flat in a 5 min race do end up quite warm!

How many cycles, before a cell/most cells fail?

[T] Em, not sure .. I was racing several sets all season (once a
month, all year) at that pace and didn't have a cell fail? In fact in
my 30 years or RC car racing (sponsered driver for some of that) I've
never had a cell fail? I have seen others have cells fail, I've
marshalled a car that just turned into a heap of glowing red wires in
a matter of seconds but I've still got packs Nicad and NiMH that are a
good few years old and are still going strong?

The 'top boys' generally only run each pack once / day but at 50 quid
a pack and possibly 8 rounds plus finals / race day *I* had to
recharge all the time?

Mind you, the 'pits' have changed quite a bit over the years .. looks
more like a lab at NASA these days with all the digital delta peak /
fan cooled charging stations and comm turning lathes .. ! (some folk
actuallt strip the motor, skim the com, rebuild / lube the motor,
solder in a new pair of brushes ..and solder the motor back into the
model (connectors waste power) after EVERY 5 min heat!

Some power tools approach this sort of drain.

Ooo err .. The only other things I know that can kill a battery in no
time flat are some digital cameras?

All the best ..

T i m

John Rumm

T i m wrote:

month, all year) at that pace and didn't have a cell fail? In fact in
my 30 years or RC car racing (sponsered driver for some of that) I've
never had a cell fail? I have seen others have cells fail, I've

Reminds me of when a friend built a small (i.e. under 1kg) fast electric
boat using some NiCd cells he recovered from an old (pro video) camera
battery belt...

Worked really well until one of the cells vented under full load. This
resulted in one of the most impressive sinkings I have ever seen!
Picture this tiny craft speeding along at 20mph - a loud BANG! - and
craft transitions from that forward speed, to an instant vertical
descent! Bit like a Harrier VIFFing in reverse!

The release of gas from the cell burst the hull / deck joint almost the
full length of the boat, starting at the bow - opening it up like a
crocodile's mouth - spoilt the hydrodynamics a bit!

--
Cheers,

John.

T i m

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:58:46 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

T i m wrote:

[...]

Nice!

I think the venting arangement on these cells is much better theese
days!

As I said, I have seen other folk get into trouble with cells and I've
melted a pack in the old days before auto chargers.

A mate had a cell explode in his 12th Electricar (back in the Ally
pally days). The 'built in' packs would br run, be charged, run, be
charged and as we had low club numbers at the beginning not enough
racers to make more than one heat! (to give the cars a break inbetween
races).

All the best ..

T i m

Improvised Angle drill Andrew Mawson UK diy 33 February 18th 04 07:51 PM
drilling steel? Dave UK diy 26 October 29th 03 03:03 PM
Core drills David Hearn UK diy 14 October 25th 03 07:40 PM
What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill) Grunff UK diy 43 September 19th 03 11:54 AM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM