Default vibration sensors on upvc windows?

First of all is there any point in fixing the vibration sensors from the old
wooden windows back onto the new upvc ones? I guess someone could still
break them, albeit with a bit more effort than the old ones?

Secondly, what is the the best way of fixing them? Can you screw into the
upvc or is some sort of sticky stuff a better idea (but maybe not sticky
pads as you wouldnt want to absorb too much vibration). What about sticking
the wires to the frames too?

cheers

Dave.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"a" writes:
First of all is there any point in fixing the vibration sensors from the old
wooden windows back onto the new upvc ones? I guess someone could still
break them, albeit with a bit more effort than the old ones?

They would probably require the sensitivity adjusting accordingly.

Secondly, what is the the best way of fixing them? Can you screw into the
upvc or is some sort of sticky stuff a better idea (but maybe not sticky
pads as you wouldnt want to absorb too much vibration). What about sticking
the wires to the frames too?

You can screw into pvc. I would drill a tiny pilot hole first,
smaller than the screw diameter obviously. You could probably
glue the sensors on (depending what plastic they're made of)
using PVC solvent weld, but this would make changing them
difficult, and if you get the solvent weld on any part of the
PVC where you didn't want it, it will damage the PVC surface.

--
Andrew
dave @ stejonda

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Secondly, what is the the best way of fixing them? Can you screw into the
upvc or is some sort of sticky stuff a better idea (but maybe not sticky
pads as you wouldnt want to absorb too much vibration). What about sticking
the wires to the frames too?

You can screw into pvc. I would drill a tiny pilot hole first, smaller
than the screw diameter obviously.

Isn't the upvc hollow? Is it thick enough to gain an adequate hold?

--
dave @ stejonda
Brian G

"a" wrote in message
. net...
First of all is there any point in fixing the vibration sensors from the

old
wooden windows back onto the new upvc ones? I guess someone could still
break them, albeit with a bit more effort than the old ones?

Secondly, what is the the best way of fixing them? Can you screw into the
upvc or is some sort of sticky stuff a better idea (but maybe not sticky
pads as you wouldnt want to absorb too much vibration). What about

sticking
the wires to the frames too?

cheers

Dave.

Dave,

I've had vibration sensors for my alarm system fitted to UPVC windows now
for about six years. These are either screwed to the frame or stuck on with
a "sticky pad". Over the years, the pads seem to break down and I usually
end up refixing the sensor with a couple of small self tapping screws - I
drill the UPVC frame first.

With regards to the wires - these were originally fixed to the wall (not the
frame) with small staples - but when I have re-wall papered each room, I
have removed these and tucked the cables away under the wall paper or even
the plastic trims around the windows to make a neater job.

After fixing, just re-adjust the sensitivity of the sensor setting to take
account of the difference in material.

Hope this helps

Brian G

Grunff

dave @ stejonda wrote:

Isn't the upvc hollow? Is it thick enough to gain an adequate hold?

Yes, it is hollow, but typically 1.5-2mm thick. So you wouldn't want to
use screws to mount shelves onto your uPVC frame, but a 20g sensor would
be fine.

--
Grunff

"a" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

yeah thanks Brian, tiny self tappers in a pilot hole sounds the best bet.