Peter Chase

Default Indesit WG820 washer - no spin

My cheapo washing machine, an Indesit WG820, has just developed a
fault. The wash proceeds normally until the spin cycle. But it then
fails to spin. The pump can be heard working, but the drum does not go
around. The drum does go around, at the normal slow speed, in the
earlier parts of the wash.

What faults could cause this?

I've done belts and brushes before (different machine), but that's the
extent of my washer DIY experience. Being an oldish machine that was
cheap in the first place, getting an "engineer" out isn't going to be
worthwhile, so it's fix it myself or bin it. For the sake of the
planet, I hope to achieve the former.
Christian McArdle

For the sake of the planet, I hope to achieve the former.

Sorry I can't help you with the problem. However, the environmental benefits
of repairing may be overrated in this case, as a new replacement machine may
use considerably less water, detergent and energy, which may offset the
environmental costs of producing and transporting the machine.

Of course, fixing it might be cheaper...

Christian.

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"Peter Chase" wrote in message
om...
My cheapo washing machine, an Indesit WG820, has just developed a
fault. The wash proceeds normally until the spin cycle. But it then
fails to spin. The pump can be heard working, but the drum does not go
around. The drum does go around, at the normal slow speed, in the
earlier parts of the wash.

What faults could cause this?

I've done belts and brushes before (different machine), but that's the
extent of my washer DIY experience. Being an oldish machine that was
cheap in the first place, getting an "engineer" out isn't going to be
worthwhile, so it's fix it myself or bin it. For the sake of the
planet, I hope to achieve the former.

I'd put money on it being the motor speed controller board.

If you take off the back of the machine it lives (usually) in a rectangular
plastic box attached to the side of the machine. Lots of numbered wires on
it too.

Si