Peter Szmulik

Default Electrolux washing machine jumping around on my floor...

Hi

I have a bit of a problem with my 4 year old Electrolux EW 1276F
washing machine.

The normal wash cycle works fine, however any spin-dry program will
fail because of heavy vibrations when it spins up - enough to move the
machine around on the floor. I have tried with several different loads
and wash programs with the same result. Never had any other problems
with this unit. I would guess that the drum is somehow poorly balanced
- or there is a mechanical failure. There are no obvious damage to the
drum and it appears clean on the inside. Dirt buildup on the outside?

Any clue?

Best Regards & Thanks!
Peter
Farmer Giles

"Peter Szmulik" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I have a bit of a problem with my 4 year old Electrolux EW 1276F
washing machine.

The normal wash cycle works fine, however any spin-dry program will
fail because of heavy vibrations when it spins up - enough to move the
machine around on the floor. I have tried with several different loads
and wash programs with the same result. Never had any other problems
with this unit. I would guess that the drum is somehow poorly balanced
- or there is a mechanical failure. There are no obvious damage to the
drum and it appears clean on the inside. Dirt buildup on the outside?

Any clue?

Best Regards & Thanks!
Peter

Probably worn bearings. Try and rock the drum back and forwards to see how
much play there is - if the bearings are worn there will probably be a
considerable amount.

Paper2002AD

Worn bearings would probably be very noisy if they are worn enough to cause
this problem.

Try looking at the suspension system of the outer drum - springs, dampers etc.
A loose concrete weight has also been know to cause this problem. My money's on
the main circuit board, failing to ensure an adequate distribution cycle prior
to spinning.

Do you have a one-man washing repair guy in the area who would diagnose without
charging a fortune?
N. Thornton

(Peter Szmulik) wrote in message . com...
Hi

I have a bit of a problem with my 4 year old Electrolux EW 1276F
washing machine.

The normal wash cycle works fine, however any spin-dry program will
fail because of heavy vibrations when it spins up - enough to move the
machine around on the floor. I have tried with several different loads
and wash programs with the same result. Never had any other problems
with this unit. I would guess that the drum is somehow poorly balanced
- or there is a mechanical failure. There are no obvious damage to the
drum and it appears clean on the inside. Dirt buildup on the outside?

Any clue?

Best Regards & Thanks!
Peter

This will be a suspension problem. If youre lucky it'll just be a
spring above the drum come unhooked. More often its dampers wearing
out. A flapping drum wont normally cause enough unbalance to do this:
bearing wear will generally be exceptionally noisy before it gets that
bad.

Its a fair amount of work to replace the suspension, but one can often
bodge it up quickly with bits of rope etc. Its icky crude, but quick
and easy, and lasts quite well with thick rope. You need to allow the
drum assembly to move the full width, but with friction so oscillation
is damped. The rope needs to go over gentle curves so you get friction
without any tendency to cut into the rope.

Before you moan about such a rank bodge, its much quicker than buying
a new machine.

Regards, NT

Yebligs

Before you start taking it apart, I'd check that it hasnt moved a fraction
on the floor and needs re levelling. I noticed ours was clattering and
shaking madly during spin cycle last week (only time I do notice it!), when
it hadn't been before.

A quick tweak with a spanner to the front right foot soon eliminated it.

"Peter Szmulik" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I have a bit of a problem with my 4 year old Electrolux EW 1276F
washing machine.

The normal wash cycle works fine, however any spin-dry program will
fail because of heavy vibrations when it spins up - enough to move the
machine around on the floor. I have tried with several different loads
and wash programs with the same result. Never had any other problems
with this unit. I would guess that the drum is somehow poorly balanced
- or there is a mechanical failure. There are no obvious damage to the
drum and it appears clean on the inside. Dirt buildup on the outside?

Any clue?

Best Regards & Thanks!
Peter

The Natural Philosopher

Yebligs wrote:

Before you start taking it apart, I'd check that it hasnt moved a fraction
on the floor and needs re levelling. I noticed ours was clattering and
shaking madly during spin cycle last week (only time I do notice it!), when
it hadn't been before.

I'll toss in another possibility. Mine did thia: Turned out the cement
counterweight had broken loose. Glued it back with car body filler. 3
yars on still fine.

Ok th0e motor went but the block is still glued on

[...]

Peter Szmulik

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Many thanks for all your answers!

I removed the lid and located the suspension springs and they where
both fine. The bearings are fine. I could not - from the top view I
had - locate any dampers. The drum assembly seems to move quite well
dampend up-down and sideways. However in the axial direction it is
swinging quite easily. Would this be normal?

I suppose the dampers must be located under the drum assembly. I guess
I could possibly access them by turning tme machine upside down.

The last possibility would be that the electronics that controls the
spin-up is damaged, however, it does spin down as soon as there is
unbalance and it does try repeatedly to spin in the other direction.
Are the dampers "active" in any sense or just rubber blocks?

Best Regards & tanks!
Peter
Paper2002AD

I suppose the dampers must be located under the drum assembly. I guess
I could possibly access them by turning tme machine upside down.

Just take off the back of the machine

Are the dampers "active" in any sense or just rubber blocks?

Usually loke a car damper, or those things that stop a car tailgate from
flapping about

While you've got the back off, take a look at the concrete block - make sure it
hasn't loosenedT

the drum assembly seems to move quite well
dampend up-down and sideways. However in the axial direction it is
swinging quite easily. Would this be normal?

Yes - the drum can usually move very easily axially

N. Thornton

[...]

juast get on your hands and knees. The dampers are on the 2 suspension
struts underneath. do unplug it b4 playing.

The last possibility would be that the electronics that controls the
spin-up is damaged,

no

Are the dampers "active" in any sense or just rubber blocks?

usually either car type dampers inside the springs, or just plastic
sleeves that rub on the rods.

NT