Michael Dritschel

Default square turned spindles?

I have neighbours who is doing a loft conversion on an Edwardian
semi-detached. They would like to continue the staircase using the
same type of spindles and handrail as on the older part. The problem
is that the spindles are "square" turned, and there does not appear to
be anyone in this area (northeast of England) who does this. They
have a joiner who has offered to make some for them (I think using a
bandsaw and then letting them sand out the imperfections). They also
found a name for a company in London which will do this for
£24/spindle. The style is not uncommon, and various architectural
salvage places do get such spindles occasionally. Getting the right
length is the main problem--apparently currrent regulations require
that the banister be 10cm taller than the original.

Michael

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael A. Dritschel
School of Mathematics and Statistics
Merz Court
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU
UK

mDOTaDOTdritschelATnclDOTacDOTuk

mouse

Try posting in rec.crafts woodturning. These are difficult to turn, but
would not expect to pay more than £10 per spindle + cost of wood.
Unfortunately I no longer have my big lathe else I would have done them for
you.
Mouse
"Michael Dritschel" wrote in message
-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me...
[...]

Dave Plowman

In article
Michael Dritschel wrote:
I have neighbours who is doing a loft conversion on an Edwardian
semi-detached. They would like to continue the staircase using the
same type of spindles and handrail as on the older part. The problem
is that the spindles are "square" turned, and there does not appear to
be anyone in this area (northeast of England) who does this.

I'm surprised at this - when I was overhauling mine and needed a few
matching spares, a workmate's father turned them up on the wood lathe in
his shed - and they were a perfect match.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Rick

"Michael Dritschel" wrote in message
-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me...
The problem
is that the spindles are "square" turned, and there does not appear to
be anyone in this area (northeast of England) who does this. They
have a joiner who has offered to make some for them (I think using a
bandsaw and then letting them sand out the imperfections). --

Depending on the complexity of the detail it is possible to produce these
using a spindle moulder and a router. Needs a good machinist though.

Richard

N. Thornton

Michael Dritschel wrote in message -did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me...
I have neighbours who is doing a loft conversion on an Edwardian
semi-detached. They would like to continue the staircase using the
same type of spindles and handrail as on the older part. The problem
is that the spindles are "square" turned, and there does not appear to

What does square turned mean?

Regards, NT