Mathew J. Newton

Default Location of isolation valve for gas hob?

I recently had a gas hob installed above my built-in electric oven by
a CORGI-registered installer.

He fitted an isolation valve to the pipework feeding the hob however
this valve sits behind the oven thus to actually turn it off would
require the oven to be removed (i.e. screws removing and slid out). Is
this okay?

I assume the valve is there to allow the hob to be serviced without
having to turn the entire house supply off, and in this case the
removal of the oven is not really an issue particularly given it would
most likely have to be removed anyway to allow access to the
underside. However, I would consider it advantageous to have access to
the valve *without* having to remove the oven for reasons of safety
i.e. the need to be able to cut the gas supply off to the hob in the
event of pan fire, for example. Furthermore, the (new) supplying
pipework enters from an adjacent cupboard anyway so locating the valve
here would have been just as easy!

Any opinions on whether I should get him back in to move the valve to
the adjacent-cupboard location? On the assumption that the valve is
required by the regs, do these also mandate their location This would
obviously dictate whether I have any entitlement to get him back in to
do it 'properly' (whatever that might be).

Regards,

Mathew
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:28:36 -0800, Mathew J. Newton wrote:

[...]

It is not uncommon to find hobs installed without local isolation for
servicing, and that is irregular.

The isolator is for _servicing_, in the case of the hob more
likely replacement is the only form of 'servicing' that can be carried
out, and this adds to the case for behind the oven begin quite OK.

It would be unusual to find a valve in the adjacent cupboard.
Were you to complain to CORGI I doubt the matter would get very far.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Mathew J. Newton

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news snip
It is not uncommon to find hobs installed without local isolation for
servicing, and that is irregular.

The isolator is for _servicing_, in the case of the hob more
likely replacement is the only form of 'servicing' that can be carried
out, and this adds to the case for behind the oven begin quite OK.

It would be unusual to find a valve in the adjacent cupboard.
Were you to complain to CORGI I doubt the matter would get very far.

Thanks for the clarification Ed.

As I was simply interested to learn if this was a) compliant, and b)
best/acceptable practice, then I'm happy with the work carried out.

Cheers,

Mathew