Mil

Default Cistern - Close Coupled - Feeble Flush!

Hi,

I recently had all the internal components in my close coupled cistern
replaced. It all works OK, but the flush is pretty lousy - it seems to
move paper around a bit, then give up. The cistern only half-empties,
which I guess is part of the problem? It's definitely not one of those
"quick flush or hold for full flush" economy thingies, as I've tried
this method, and the water level (pre-flush) in the cistern is
certainly high-enough, coming only half an inch below the overflow.
It's not a blockage either, as I can poor plenty of water down the pan
using a bucket (which is necessary when things start to build up!).

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

bub.
Christian McArdle

I recently had all the internal components in my close coupled cistern
replaced. It all works OK, but the flush is pretty lousy - it seems to
move paper around a bit, then give up.

You may find the replacement syphon is designed not to flush the entire
cistern out. This is a water saving measure and required for new
installations that have limited flush capacities.

However, cisterns for old pans designed to have more water may still be used
if the pan is already installed. This is usually achieved by stopping up
some holes in the side of the syphon with the supplied plugs. The holes
break the syphonic effect earlier than would otherwise be the case.

Christian.

mackem

"Mil" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I recently had all the internal components in my close coupled cistern
replaced. It all works OK, but the flush is pretty lousy - it seems to
move paper around a bit, then give up. The cistern only half-empties,
which I guess is part of the problem? It's definitely not one of those
"quick flush or hold for full flush" economy thingies, as I've tried
this method, and the water level (pre-flush) in the cistern is
certainly high-enough, coming only half an inch below the overflow.
It's not a blockage either, as I can poor plenty of water down the pan
using a bucket (which is necessary when things start to build up!).

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

bub.

You'll find your new syphon has three holes in the side about one inch apart
vertically.

There should be a plastic plug covering two of these three holes.

If the middle and bottom bottom holes are plugged, the flush will be 6
litres ( the new regulation)

To increase the flush to 9 litres the middle and top holes must be plugged
instead.

If the top hole alone is plugged the flush will be 7 litres.