Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel

Old August 23rd 04, 03:31 PM
DIY Novice

Default Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel

We're about to buy kitchen appliances and are thinking of getting
brushed steel oven, hob and extractor (though the extractor has lots
of glass also). Is brushed steel good at maintaining it's appearance
and easy to clean?
What exactly is the difference between it and stainless steel?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old August 23rd 04, 07:14 PM
Owain

"DIY Novice" wrote
| What exactly is the difference between it and stainless steel?

Stainless steel is steel which does not rust. (It can however discolour or
stain under other circumstances.)

Brushed steel is the cosmetic finish which gives it a sort of 'grain'.

Owain

Old August 23rd 04, 07:44 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

DIY Novice wrote:
We're about to buy kitchen appliances and are thinking of getting
brushed steel oven, hob and extractor (though the extractor has lots
of glass also). Is brushed steel good at maintaining it's appearance
and easy to clean?
What exactly is the difference between it and stainless steel?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

If it were brushed steel, it would have to be protected by lacquer etc, as
steel rusts. I'd guess you mean brushed stainless steel - or it could be
brushed chrome which looks similar.

Basically, a brushed finish has largish scratches all going in the same
direction - as opposed to bright polished which has very fine scratches
doing the same.

Both can be damaged, but brushed should not show marks so much.

--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 24th 04, 10:10 AM
Jerry Built

DIY Novice wrote:
Is brushed steel good at maintaining it's appearance and easy
to clean?

It's a real swine - if the surface gets rubbed by something hard,
e.g. cutlery, it "bruises", and the marks are difficult to remove.

What exactly is the difference between it and stainless steel?

Same metal, different finish, in all probability.

J.B.

Old August 24th 04, 02:43 PM
warwick

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article ,
DIY Novice wrote:
We're about to buy kitchen appliances and are thinking of getting
brushed steel oven, hob and extractor (though the extractor has lots
of glass also). Is brushed steel good at maintaining it's appearance
and easy to clean?
What exactly is the difference between it and stainless steel?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

If it were brushed steel, it would have to be protected by lacquer etc, as
steel rusts. I'd guess you mean brushed stainless steel - or it could be
brushed chrome which looks similar.

Basically, a brushed finish has largish scratches all going in the same
direction - as opposed to bright polished which has very fine scratches
doing the same.

Both can be damaged, but brushed should not show marks so much.

Get aluminium if you can - it's far easier to clean and does not show fingermarks
Old August 24th 04, 07:00 PM
StealthUK

Jerry Built wrote in message .. .
DIY Novice wrote:
Is brushed steel good at maintaining it's appearance and easy
to clean?

It's a real swine - if the surface gets rubbed by something hard,
e.g. cutlery, it "bruises", and the marks are difficult to remove.

What exactly is the difference between it and stainless steel?

Same metal, different finish, in all probability.

J.B.

An appliance retailer told me that using baby oil with a soft cloth
was the best way of cleaning steel surfaces. Yet to try it though!
Old August 24th 04, 07:44 PM
Philip Davies

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
Jerry Built wrote in message

.. .
DIY Novice wrote:
Is brushed steel good at maintaining it's appearance and easy
to clean?

It's a real swine - if the surface gets rubbed by something hard,
e.g. cutlery, it "bruises", and the marks are difficult to remove.

What exactly is the difference between it and stainless steel?

Same metal, different finish, in all probability.

J.B.

An appliance retailer told me that using baby oil with a soft cloth
was the best way of cleaning steel surfaces. Yet to try it though!

I use WD40. Does a good job and quick and easy to restore as new