John Rumm

Default Repair roofing felt from inside loft

Dave wrote:
What is the best way to repair some tears in roof felt (inside loft space)? Is
there some product something like a rubber patch for bike inner-tune repairs I
can just stick on - or maybe some gunge I can use to stick on another piece of
felt over the tear?

We are talking about the under tile felt or "sarking" here are we?

If so I would have thought that ordinary felt adhesive would do the job
with a piece of underfelt as a patch. You could also probably use "torch
on" felt if you are feeling brave enough to wield a blow torch in the
loft (make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy though!).

--
Cheers,

John.

Gel

You need a bitumen based roffing felt adhesive as used to stick
down roofing felt.

To improve adhesion warm up before use ie put hot air from hair dryer
on tin for few minutes just before using: support felt whilst it grips.

John Rumm wrote in message ...
Dave wrote:
What is the best way to repair some tears in roof felt (inside loft space)? Is
there some product something like a rubber patch for bike inner-tune repairs I
can just stick on - or maybe some gunge I can use to stick on another piece of
felt over the tear?

We are talking about the under tile felt or "sarking" here are we?

If so I would have thought that ordinary felt adhesive would do the job
with a piece of underfelt as a patch. You could also probably use "torch
on" felt if you are feeling brave enough to wield a blow torch in the
loft (make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy though!).

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:02:49 +0000, Dave wrote:

What is the best way to repair some tears in roof felt (inside loft
space)?

I take it you mean the sarking? Shouldn't worry about it too much
unless water is getting in but that would indicate a more serious
problem with the primary roof covering...

Is there some product something like a rubber patch for bike
inner-tune repairs I can just stick on

You don't really want to just "stick a patch on" water will collect
behind it.
/
Sarking /g/ patch
/ /
/ g = glue
/w/ w = trapped water
/w/
/g/
/

The patch needs to overlap the lower remaining sarking and preferably
extend underneath the next lath.

/
Sarking // patch
//
--/
//
patch // sarking
L//
//

With good overlaps you don't need any glue just clout nails through
the felt into the rafters each side. This works, BTDTGTTS, using old
feed bags as patches during a F8 Gale when the slates where off the
barn roof and the old sarking was getting torn to shreds.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail